metabolic rate

Does anyone know how long after an hour of cardio at the gym you keep burning food at the higher rate? I know exercise increases the metabolic rate but for how long?:bigsmile:

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Some (all maybe) exercises have an "afterburn" effect, but you'll go mad trying to account for it. Just log your regular exercise burn as is and focus on your net calories day after day. Meaning, exercise when you can/want, and eat when you can/want and hit your numbers. Don't worry about the timing.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    It vary's from person and intesity of exercise. But my understanding is anywhere from 20min's too 4 hours. I'd be interested to here a better and more accurate answer!! lol :)
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    I have read it depends on the level of intensity in which you work out at. Most of what I have read is that first hour after a cardio session is when the metabolism is revved up the most. I have also read that doing high intensity interval training gives your metabolism a boost for many hours..

I guess I would google and look for reputable sources.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    it isn't something i would really concern myself about, research has shown steady state yields about ~7% EPOC and intervals ~14%
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    it's icing on the cake but don't start using it as an excuse to overeat