Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

People at work commenting on your diet/weight loss

UponThisRock
UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
-If you refuse some food someone brings in, they take offense.

-Or, someone offers you food, and a third part jumps in to "save" you with: "He can't eat that he's dieting."

-My personal favorite:
-"How'd you lose all that weight?"
-"I exercised and stopped eating so much."
-*blank stare*

I really, really, want to punch people sometimes.

Replies

• Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Haha, I had something like this similar today. Ask a friend of mine to grab me a plate from a post-funeral party and she was like, "what can you eat, I know you are dieting" .... lol, I can eat FOOD. Feed me, lol. It really wasn't that bad of a question because I can get picky sometimes, but man... I'll figure out what I don't want later, get me some food.
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Yeah!

Earlier this week someone decided it'd be funny to put their Halloween candy on my desk while I was in a meeting. It was huge pile of snickers/milky way/butter fingers, so 1/2 way decent candy. I wish I knew who did that, because I would have enjoyed seeing their face when I dumped the entire pile in trash.

But sometimes I do really want to punch those people.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    No one has commented me, but I think it's because I'm the only girl here and they just took a course on sexual harassment! :laugh:
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member

-My personal favorite:
    -*blank stare*

A coworker asked me that exact same question and I gave her the exact same answer and yes, I did get the blank stare! LOL
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Manager at work always comments with, "how do you go to the gym so much? It gets boring" And she's doing a PT course next year?!?! :S

same person... "how can you eat that, c'mon eat some chips"

• -"I exercised and stopped eating so much."

This is the part that throws everyone for a loop. My neighbor has stopped me 4 different times when I'm coming back from walk/run/hiking with the dog and asked me how long I'm going for, where I'm going and what diet pills I'm taking.

I have told her 4...4! different times that I've cut eating so much sugar, stopped drinking soda and cut back on my portions. And started exercising. That's it.

She doesn't talk to me any more.

Amazing.
  • -If you refuse some food someone brings in, they take offense.

-Or, someone offers you food, and a third part jumps in to "save" you with: "He can't eat that he's dieting."

-My personal favorite:
    -*blank stare*

I understand completely what you are saying and it drives me absolutely crazy!! They tell me "you round is a shape and it is okay to be round"....I'm like really did you just say that.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member

-My personal favorite:
    -*blank stare*

I know, hilarious. Like this is something new. Eat healthier, exercise. Period.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Most of us here have worked together for about 16 years, so everyone knows everyone's business and honestly, no one seems to mind. I brought back Taco Bell for lunch the other day and one of the girls stops by my office and says "Are you allowed to have that?". I explained to her that I believe in everything in moderation. It fit in my calorie range. Then I told her to leave me the hell alone so I can eat my taco. She just laughed!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I really want to punch people too, but only because I have a violent disposition.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    That's a bit ungrateful in my opinion. If I come across a coworker or mate of mine that asks how I lost all that weight, I see that as a compliment not an insult! Who cares about their reactions?
    Also, if people take an interest in my diet and ask me what foods I can eat, I'm grateful that they didn't just guess and give me something that most probably would be worse for me.

Harden up guys, just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you should be surprised when people show you common decency!
  • Yeah!

Earlier this week someone decided it'd be funny to put their Halloween candy on my desk while I was in a meeting. It was huge pile of snickers/milky way/butter fingers, so 1/2 way decent candy. I wish I knew who did that, because I would have enjoyed seeing their face when I dumped the entire pile in trash.

But sometimes I do really want to punch those people.

OMG - good for you! That's just mean. What if you hadn't had the willpower? That's like taking an alcoholic to a bar! Not fair at all.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member

Oh yeah, my first week at a new job dude comes in all flirty and says he's going to bring me chocolate. I say "haha, how nice of you... but please don't, trying to lose weight" he turns it into this super creepy thing where he swears he's going to bring me chocolate everyday and leave it on my desk until I eat some. wtf!?!

So I told him I had a horrible chocolate allergy and my throat would swell up and I'd die if I ate any. And I didn't have an epi pen yet cuz my new insurance hadn't gone through. Worked! He brought me a pear.
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    I totally get that. When people hear I've lost almost a hundred pounds...they get all animated and up in my face.

"How'd you do it?" they ask, all breathless and excited.

They're just waiting for me to laud the benefits of HCG, or rave about the doctor that performed my bariatric surgery, or...better yet...introduce them to a whole NEW fad-diet-that-won't-give-long-term-results-and-only-instant-but-temporary-satisfaction-before-ultimately-failing-and-then-I gain-all-I-lost-plus-an-additional-20-back weight-loss "breakthrough".

"The old-fashioned way," I always answer. "You know...I watch what I eat and I exercise."

The excited glint in their eyes dies like a flame faced with a bucket of water, they offer an "oh-that's-nice" smile, and they aimlessly wander away...forever destined to be sheep.

So sad.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member
    I just reached my goal and am still slowly getting back in to normal eating, but for the past year I just never eat anything anyone brought to work and never participated in anything they ordered. I was dieting and in my diet I could only eat what I prepared to make sure I am counting calories properly.
    I still don't participate in their foods, because I want to make sure I can maintain my weight loss. If I gain it back I am the one who suffers not them. They don't really make any comments any more, its just what is expected and if they did I wouldn't pay any mind to it cause I just don't care. :wink:
    Life is too short to pay attention to what others think or want for me, what matters to me is what I and my hubby want for each other.
    Good luck with your weight loss, you look great in your avatar!
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member

This is the part that throws everyone for a loop. My neighbor has stopped me 4 different times when I'm coming back from walk/run/hiking with the dog and asked me how long I'm going for, where I'm going and what diet pills I'm taking.

So many people have been brainwashed by all the advertising into believing you can't lose weight or become healthy without a pill or without paying some "Doctor" to medically supervise your eating habits. People on MFP have finally figured out that all you need to do is just get off your butt and "DO IT"!

I'll use all the money I save on pills/"Doctors" to buy new clothes!
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member

-My personal favorite:
    -*blank stare*

LOL, I work at home, so I don't see many people, but I went to a house warming party last weekend, and most people there hadn't seen me in 6 months or so, same types of ?'s and stares though. Then, there trying to dump cups full of chili sauce and dip and, whatever on my plate. You have to want to change, and some people just aren't there yet. Then I get the jealous almost eye rolling stares too., It's not like a got a magic wish and lost 30 pounds, I had to work for it!!! Just like everyone else :)
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    I hate that.
    And I normally do something naughty like "Err, no I'm not." *takes a bit*
  • UponThisRock
    I totally get that. When people hear I've lost almost a hundred pounds...they get all animated and up in my face.

"How'd you do it?" they ask, all breathless and excited.

They're just waiting for me to laud the benefits of HCG, or rave about the doctor that performed my bariatric surgery, or...better yet...introduce them to a whole NEW fad-diet-that-won't-give-long-term-results-and-only-instant-but-temporary-satisfaction-before-ultimately-failing-and-then-I gain-all-I-lost-plus-an-additional-20-back weight-loss "breakthrough".

"The old-fashioned way," I always answer. "You know...I watch what I eat and I exercise."

The excited glint in their eyes dies like a flame faced with a bucket of water, they offer an "oh-that's-nice" smile, and they aimlessly wander away...forever destined to be sheep.

So sad.

Ha ha, so true. "I busted my butt everyday and often went to bed hungry" is definitely not what most people want to hear.

Congats on 100 lbs, that really is fantastic.
  • UponThisRock
    Good luck with your weight loss, you look great in your avatar!

Thank you. I'm actually not losing anymore, I'm currently maintaining, transitioning toward a muscle-gain phase.