Needing a bit of support, sweeties!

Options
Whew, back in college.

I'm still on my quest to raise my calorie levels. I've been able to preeetty consistently hit the 1200's, but I think I should be closer to 1400 (1350ish, let's say).

I need to get my metabolism up and pumping! I do cardio and weights, but I know I need to eat more.

It's soooooo silly. I've scuba dived with sharks, herded angry cattle, and tracked down major newspaper editors in person in hopes of an internship...but I'm wigged out at the thought of eating more and gaining a lot of weight back.

Probably because they didn't see me for a month (and thus their sight reevaluated), many of my dormmates happily say "Omg, you've lost so much weight!" One girl even told me that I was a huge inspiration to her. So it adds on to the "damn, can't start gaining it back!" mentality.

And I don't WANT to be the person who has to blast away 45 minutes 6 days a week on the elliptical and eat 1200 calories a day just to maintain. I know some people like that, those that have crash dieted, and refuse to change their ways even though they loathe how much they have to work to maintain their figures. Because I know that tons of people can maintain just fine with higher calories and 3 solid exercise sessions a week.

I plan to work out for the rest of my life, but I know I can do better than those diet-crashed gals.

So, a bit of support, please?

For those that don't know me, no I'm not anorexic. I love food, love to cook, and love nothing more than to have a nice dinner with friends. The problem lies in that I changed my diet to lots of veggies and lean meats. Because it filled me up, I didn't notice that I really wasn't eating that much. But I still get wigged at the thought of upping my calories. And when I speak of upping my calories, it's not like I'm currently surviving on 700 a day. But for awhile I was at 1000-1100ish. Baaad Phoenix.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Whew, back in college.

I'm still on my quest to raise my calorie levels. I've been able to preeetty consistently hit the 1200's, but I think I should be closer to 1400 (1350ish, let's say).

I need to get my metabolism up and pumping! I do cardio and weights, but I know I need to eat more.

It's soooooo silly. I've scuba dived with sharks, herded angry cattle, and tracked down major newspaper editors in person in hopes of an internship...but I'm wigged out at the thought of eating more and gaining a lot of weight back.

Probably because they didn't see me for a month (and thus their sight reevaluated), many of my dormmates happily say "Omg, you've lost so much weight!" One girl even told me that I was a huge inspiration to her. So it adds on to the "damn, can't start gaining it back!" mentality.

And I don't WANT to be the person who has to blast away 45 minutes 6 days a week on the elliptical and eat 1200 calories a day just to maintain. I know some people like that, those that have crash dieted, and refuse to change their ways even though they loathe how much they have to work to maintain their figures. Because I know that tons of people can maintain just fine with higher calories and 3 solid exercise sessions a week.

I plan to work out for the rest of my life, but I know I can do better than those diet-crashed gals.

So, a bit of support, please?

For those that don't know me, no I'm not anorexic. I love food, love to cook, and love nothing more than to have a nice dinner with friends. The problem lies in that I changed my diet to lots of veggies and lean meats. Because it filled me up, I didn't notice that I really wasn't eating that much. But I still get wigged at the thought of upping my calories. And when I speak of upping my calories, it's not like I'm currently surviving on 700 a day. But for awhile I was at 1000-1100ish. Baaad Phoenix.
  • heyjude78
    Options
    :happy: Phoenix~ Congrats on the loss and all your hard work! That's so awesome that you inspire that you live around- you should be so proud of yourself!

I understand what you mean about the calories- I seriously think that we're brainwashed to hate the energy our bodies need to live! I've been trying to read up on metabolisms and I feel like our body is such an amazing machine - balancing hundreds of systems at once. I think you should trust your body - feed it, love it, take care of it...if it takes a while to regulate the additional calories, maybe do some extra sit-ups in the morning? Your body just doesn't want to be starved, you can do this, don't be afraid...we are all here for you!
  • DRautenbach
    Options
    hi, I can so sympathise with you. I was only eating about 900 - 1000 calories a day as I was over estimating what I was eating. I have lost 65 lbs in the last year, but adding excersise. I have been doing salsa dancing. great way to keep fit and burn off those calories and meet great people. Maybe something fun like that would help you. Sounds funny to people when we say it is an effort to eat. Oh well, we know what it is like. Keep going hun, u doing great!