I don't know how to use the machines at the gym...

Options
2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am not sure of proper gym etiquette and whatnot, but I will definitely ask
    an employee now! I've had my membership for years so my orientation is long gone..actually
    I don't even remember getting one!
    Doesn't matter, you need the help now! Every so often when I'm re-evaluating my programme or have new goals or am not sure if I'm doing something right, I grab a staff member and ask them. I recommend going at a quiet time, you pretty much get a PT session! If they don't write down everything - machine height settings, weights, sets and reps etc. - write it down yourself.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    :heart: Thank you!

OP, I'm in the same situation. I got a 24-hr mbrship in April. I got an orientation, but no info on how to use the equipment. When I called a few months ago, the first person told me that I may be able to get free help and he passed me on to a trainer who told me there would be a fee. I was planning on getting a trainer anyway, but won't be using that particular trainer. I don't like ppl trying to use me. Why would you charge someone over $100 so that they can learn how to use equipment in YOUR gym? If they charge me, I won't be renewing my membership.
  • sidney7305
    sidney7305 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    sounds like a good idea to me
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I belong to LA Fitness and other than the orientation for new members there is no assistance by the staff or trainers. I was told by one they are not allowed to advise members as the intention is to sign members onto a training contract. One trainer who actually would provide advice was terminated.

Do not the machines have placards indicating muscles used, body position and recommended setup? They should if they are from Icarian, Hammer or Life Fitness.

I should mention the orientation here consist of a walk through which is about five minutes at most.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I asked the people who work there. They won't bite!! That's what they are there for.

THIS^^^

Not only is there a trainer who works the floor helping people, but my gym has free classes that teach you how to use the machines.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I see a lot of employees sitting down at their desks, but I thought they were personal trainers?? I have no monies for that.

AT my gym, they have trainers who are there to help people learn the machines and stuff (when they are not working with paying clients) When I first started, I went to the trainer on duty and said " I want to work my core, can you show me a few machines to do that?". it took a whole 5 minutes for him to show me. A few months later I asked him to teach me how to barbell squat. He did that without charging me. I talked to/got advice from him for a good 6 months before I ended up hiring him to work with me privately.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    #1 u could invest in a trainer for a few sessions to really get you started.. that would be my suggestion.

#2 stop caring if you look dumb and just play around and figure it out. Everyone learned how to adjust the seats at one time or another.

#3 there are not many machines that i would even suggest you using.. leg press so you can really zero in on your quads, but don't neglect a real squat.. leg extension, leg curl, and possibly a lat pulldown or assisted pullup machine. Other than that stick with barbells/dumbbells/cables.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I belong to LA Fitness and other than the orientation for new members there is no assistance by the staff or trainers. I was told by one they are not allowed to advise members as the intention is to sign members onto a training contract. One trainer who actually would provide advice was terminated.

Do not the machines have placards indicating muscles used, body position and recommended setup? They should if they are from Icarian, Hammer or Life Fitness.

I should mention the orientation here consist of a walk through which is about five minutes at most.

I train at Lifetime..
    Most all of our members receive LT$ for 2 free personal training sessions.. and I am all day long walking the floor answering questions, demonstrating exercises, and when I see people doing things I'm pretty good at, completely wrong (Olympic lifts) I get excited and practically give them another free session. I've never denied anyone who asked me a question an answer b/c they are not paying me lol. In fact, when they decide to pay someone.. I'm the one they are going to come to b/c I did help.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    At most gyms there is always a Gym orientation where they show you how to use the machines. We joined the YMCA, and they showed us how to used all the weight machines, and how to set them correctly, then asked if there were any other machines or work outs we had questions with. And then there is always someone working in the work out room, so if you have questions you can ask them. So if you see a personal trainer walking around your gym, just go up to them and tell them that you had some questions about the equipment and you have never used it before, and they will be able to either help you right then, or set up a time to meet with you and show you. They look pretty intimidating, but all the ones I have met and worked with are all really nice and love helping. Good luck!

THIS^^^ My YMCA has super hot, muscled guys working the fitness floor weekday mornings ( when I go). They are the sweetest, nicest men I know. I absolutely adore them. My favorite one right now is married and expecting his first baby in the spring. Next week he finds out if it is a boy or a girl, and I am crocheting a blanket for the baby.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    At most gyms there is always a Gym orientation where they show you how to use the machines. We joined the YMCA, and they showed us how to used all the weight machines, and how to set them correctly, then asked if there were any other machines or work outs we had questions with. And then there is always someone working in the work out room, so if you have questions you can ask them. So if you see a personal trainer walking around your gym, just go up to them and tell them that you had some questions about the equipment and you have never used it before, and they will be able to either help you right then, or set up a time to meet with you and show you. They look pretty intimidating, but all the ones I have met and worked with are all really nice and love helping. Good luck!

THIS^^^ My YMCA has super hot, muscled guys working the fitness floor weekday mornings ( when I go). They are the sweetest, nicest men I know. I absolutely adore them. My favorite one right now is married and expecting his first baby in the spring. Next week he finds out if it is a boy or a girl, and I am crocheting a blanket for the baby.

:laugh: Do you go there for the men or the workout?
    #2 stop caring if you look dumb and just play around and figure it out. Everyone learned how to adjust the seats at one time or another.
    That's what I was afraid of. :embarassed: ...I just called my gym again and explained that I signed up in April and wanted to know if they teach ppl how to use equipment. He said that after I signed up, I should have had an hour-long orientation going over this and I didn't get that. I said earlier that I did, but I just signed up for a guest pass and got a tour, and signed up officially online. He doesn't think that there's a deadline and is gonna have someone call me to set up my orientation! :bigsmile:
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

:laugh: Do you go there for the men or the workout?
    That's what I was afraid of. :embarassed: ...I just called my gym again and explained that I signed up in April and wanted to know if they teach ppl how to use equipment. He said that after I signed up, I should have had an hour-long orientation going over this and I didn't get that. I said earlier that I did, but I just signed up for a guest pass and got a tour, and signed up officially online. He doesn't think that there's a deadline and is gonna have someone call me to set up my orientation! :bigsmile:

Both? I have been happily married for 19 years, and the trainers are like 25/26 years old.

That being said, I :heart: both the trainers I have used. I would trust them with my life, and they are the only spotters I will use when I lift heavy. The first one ( who moved away, then moved back) became a dear friend of mine. He hasn't worked at the gym in 6 months, but we email and text at least weekly, and he has come to my house for coffee 2x.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I train at Lifetime..
    Most all of our members receive LT$ for 2 free personal training sessions.. and I am all day long walking the floor answering questions, demonstrating exercises, and when I see people doing things I'm pretty good at, completely wrong (Olympic lifts) I get excited and practically give them another free session. I've never denied anyone who asked me a question an answer b/c they are not paying me lol. In fact, when they decide to pay someone.. I'm the one they are going to come to b/c I did help.

My compliments for doing right by the clients. I recommended to more than one of the staff at LA that a beginning weight training class would help folk and they did not want to listern. The response was they need to sign personal training contracts-no freebies. I am surpised they do not charge for the zumba, spinning or step-abs classes with that attitude.

Typically new folks ask regular members or a regular will step in and assist new folk when they see something being done dangerously. I admit have made a few acaquaintainces in this manner.