Fit Mom of 5 at 35

Options
I have reclaimed my body! I am not finished but I have taken back my body and my health. I became pregnant with my 1st child at age 21 and gave birth to my 5th at 32. I was pregnant and nursing for the majority of 12 years. I also worked full time until recently. I still work part time. January 1st of this year I started trying to lose weight. I trained for and ran a half marathon. By May I had lost 0 pounds. That month I started using MFP and my body transformation began. I have learned so much about nutrition.

My biggest challenge has been my height. I am only 5'0" and my starting weight of 136 for average sized women might seem like a fine weight. But the picture below shows how terrible it looked on me. I also have a very tiny bone structure. All that weight just sat around my belly. I was so out of shape and unhealthy. I have lost a significant amount of inches from my waist. I did not take before measurements but during the 2 months of Insanity I lost 6 inches from my waist. The jeans I am wearing below are Lucky Brand Size 0/25!!!

MFP and this success board really kept me motivated. With 5 kids there were many days when I woke up at 5 am to work out and other days I worked out in the living room with them running all around me. I changed our entire family's eating. I prepare and serve healthy meals about 6 days a week. We all get a treat once on the weekends.

I will post after pictures when I get to my goal. I still have about 10 pounds to go. I hope my pictures will inspire someone. I want the busy mom's out there to know that you CAN do this. And weight loss is the absolute BEST anti depressant. I never took medication or realized how unhappy I was until now. Life is good. I am healthy, fit and genuinely happy.

before-progressNov2011text.jpg?t=1320967503

Replies

• afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Very proud of your accomplishments!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're such an inspiration. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    You look fantastic! Good for you for still getting your workouts in with your kids running around. I know it's not easy. Mine love Zumba the best!
    As mothers, I think one important job that often gets overlooked is teaching our children about food and nutrition. It makes me so happy when they make health choices all on their own but we make sure we have treats once in a while.
    Congrats!

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • PerfectPout
    PerfectPout Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Especially someone with 5 kids - you would be so busy......I have 2 kids under 22 months and that is hard enough for me! Keep it up!
  • Cleo200
    Cleo200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You are truly inspiring and you look amazing for 5 kids!!

Cleo :0)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Holy crow, I think you just convinced me that I really do need to get Insanity. I carry all of my excess weight still around my middle.

You look GREAT!
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    5 feet tall? I have heard countless times that shorter people have a really hard time losing - I guess you just proved them wrong wrong wrong! Nice job setting a great example of health and fitness for those 5 kiddos!
  • tiaxtina
    tiaxtina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! I am impressed and you have inspired me to push myself! I am also 5 feet tall and weigh about 135lbs at the moment. Also a working mom (of 2 only). I started running 3 to 4 times a week, doing bootcamp classes and eating healthier but its been a tough battle with the belly bulge. It doesn't want to leave!

So did you just do Insanity? I am thinking its worth a try!
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Wow!
  • NefariousBunny
    Options
    You look like two different people! Great job and you totally inspired this mama! Thank you! :)
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You have completely inspired me! Thank you for sharing! You look amazing!
  • amybarry76
    Options
    Thank you all. Insanity and Running. I also use a heart rate monitor so my calorie burns are more accurate.

I was constantly searching for info on short/petite women and weight loss. I hope this is encouraging to other small ladies. I still need to lose some belly fat but I feel great and being fit and healthy is my #1 priority.
  • DzyIzy
    DzyIzy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!!!

I am with you on the exercise with the kiddos running around (I only have 2). It is hard work.
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! I'm like you with 5 kids, but I had my first at 26 and last at 36yrs... She's almost 2 now and I weigh less than I did before having any kids. I'm 5'7" and at 140 right now but want to get into the 130's. I'm also a runner (long distances) and cross train with weights and triathlon training. I do have a super supportive husband who encourages me, but I also have to fit in the training around what the kids are doing too. Like you said, it's possible and I've always said that running keeps me sane :wink:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Wowzers
  • Amazing
  • Shanphichloe
    Options
    AMAZING!!!! You inspire me!
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just amazing! Thank you for posting this inspiration, you look truly happy!
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Lucky u didn't get stretch marks..but u look greatt.
  • asc1218
    Options
    You look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!