Track for the rest of you life??

Options
2»

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Yes.

I've successfully lost weight three times between the ages of 25 and 50, and every time, what worked was:
    * eating less,
    * exercising more
    * logging ever f*cking thing that went in my mouth
    * weighing every day.

But then when I reached my goal, I stopped logging--telling myself "I know what I'm doing, now. I'm a pro at this! I have successfully conquered my battle with food!"

And, each time, AT FIRST, I was right. Each time, I maintained my weight for about two years. And then, as my confidence increased, I stopped logging; I stopped weighing every day. . . . and then slowly--almost without noticing--the old habits sneaked back in. A missed workout here; and extra "treat" there. Although I was eating healthy, I would simply eat too much, and in two to five years I was back where I started. . . or even heavier.

So. . . .THIS time, I have to accept that this is just something I have to do.

I want to stamp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue, and beat my little fists against the floor while tossing my head back and forth and scream "NO NO NO NO NO!"

But tantrum aside, I KNOW that logging and weighing EVERY DAY AMEN is the key for me. It's my daily moment of truth; it's my honesty with me. And it's just what I have to do to be successful.
  • chiefinkorea
    Options
    I've been thinking about that, too. I'm hoping that when i reach my goal weight, I'll have changed my lifestyle enough that I continue with the good habits and I won't need to track. How it actually turns out remains to be seen!!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing it for the rest of my life... I probably won't want to keep it on record but at least a year's worth of information. Just because it gives me peace of mind. I know without that "control" of knowing what I have eaten and what I have left I would be lost again.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I will have to. For the rest of my life. Eating within my calories has not become habit, nor will it ever. I have accepted that. It's now part of my life, like brushing my teeth or flossing, I have to do it. I am 38 now and every time I've stopped tracking, I've gained weight. So, yes, for the rest of my life. And I'm good with that. Actually today will be exactly a year that I started with Weight Watchers, I tracked points for 11 months and have tracked on here for a month. So I may track in different ways to keep it interesting, but I actually enjoy it.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like others, plan on tracking at maintenance for a few months and the go "off the grid". I plan to track by scale an if I gain a few pounds then track and take it off...
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    No. I didn't have any idea how much I was eating or how little I was moving my body until I started tracking...hence the weight gain lol
    Once I think I've trained my body to recognize when I truly need food, when I've had enough to eat, and crave exercise, I won't need to track anymore.
    But for now, I'm having a lot of fun and making friends on MFP :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to unless it becomes a problem and I gain some of the weight back. I'd take one day off a week right now (my rest day) from logging so we will see how that goes :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to unless it becomes a problem and I gain some of the weight back. I'd take one day off a week right now (my rest day) from logging so we will see how that goes :)
  • SmileyGal76
    Options
    I know for me, in the past, I have had the greatest success while tracking. However, once I've hit my goal weight, I've stopped tracking, do well for a period of time maintaining the weight loss and then when the pounds start creeping back on I think to myself, "oh, it's only a couple of ounces (or pounds), no big deal", and then suddenly I'm 20 pounds heavier again. This time I plan to track for at least three months past my goal and then monitor my intake a couple of times a week from that point on to ensure I stay on point.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I see myself getting to my goal weight and trying to keep up the same habits but not tracking unless it becomes a problem and I start gaining from not entering in every bite. But I would like to get to the point that I do not have to track anymore and I can stay near my goal. :)

Agreee!
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    I see myself getting to my goal weight and trying to keep up the same habits but not tracking unless it becomes a problem and I start gaining from not entering in every bite. But I would like to get to the point that I do not have to track anymore and I can stay near my goal. :)

I'm about 10 lbs away from my goal. This is what I'm hoping for too but I've been curious what others are doing to maintain their losses.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!