• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    sounds like a program that will run you into the ground
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I like this advice
    Hi. I just started working out with a personal trainer after working out for about 3 months on my own. He wants me to work out for 6 hrs a week cardio then do 20 mins of strength training after each workout every other day. Does this sound like to much to start out with? should i split it up or do the whole hour? P.S. i worked out with him for the first time on tue and my legs & stomach are killing me! Everything feels bruised, should i do a day of rest? Im so confused! Help please & thank you:)

The total time is not excessive, but it's also not necessary. It seems unbalanced with too much cardio and too little strength.

The other thing is that you don't have to full tilt from day 1. This is another frequent mistake that trainers make. If you are starting a program or a new routine, it is not necessary to work yourself to the level of soreness you are describing. The body needs time to adapt to the new movements. You don't get into shape any faster by beating yourself up like that--it just hurts more (unnecessarily). If a program like you are describing represents a drastic change from what you were doing, then you should take anywhere from 4-10 sessions --whatever it takes--to ramp up to the full routine. But a lot of trainers are either too self-absorbed or too insecure to work you in gradually. They think they have to "prove themselves" by working you as hard as possible from day 1.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Days of rest are just as important as days of working out. You need at least one day a week off completely. Best advice I was EVER given during training.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hard you want to work honestly. I just started using a trainer too and I have lost 2.6 pounds this week after being on a plateau for a long time.
    I have been sore the whole time...but the results are worth it!

I work out 6 days a week, strength train alternating muscle groups, then do around 60 minutes of cardio a little less or more. I used to be in the gym 3 hours a day but he told me no more then 2.
    It doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but its what you are comfortable with.

Here is what he has me doing :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Lect

Good luck!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    He want me to do this during the week by myself and then meet with him once a week to work out with him.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I wouldn't waste my money on a one day training session with a trainer.

An hour isn't long. Well, it goes by fast, when you are doing an exciting fast hour workout. I workout an hour or maybe a little longer, it depends on the workout that I'm doing. Some of my workouts runs from 65 minutes to 80 minutes.

Strength training is good, but I'm not a big fan of solo strength training. I do them, but I prefer cardio and cardio/strength.

I can't tell you what to do, but I wouldn't workout 6 days in a row. I would give my body 2 rest days. I would workout 5 days a week with every day being a cardio day and 2 days being cardio/strength days. If you want to work out 6 days a week, make every day a cardio day and 3 days cardio/strength.

In my opinion, cardio/strength workouts will get you tone. I know it tones my body. Cardio/Strength workouts can be up to an hour long. I would do my workouts at one time and not break them up.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just do it!
    Try it for 2 weeks to see if you get any result.
    If you have doubt or any questions , you should get him to explain it to you.
  • anhancock10
    anhancock10 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for the advice! you guys are awesome:)