Eating and Exercising

Options
What should I eat and how long before a workout should I eat? I'm doing carbs and protein, about 45 min to an hour before I work out right now...

Replies

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    What should I eat and how long before a workout should I eat? I'm doing carbs and protein, about 45 min to an hour before I work out right now...
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I would suggest reading the book Eating for Life. Gives you great tips there, but I would suggest not eating for at least an hour before you workout. Carbs and protein in combination are good and carbs after a workout are great for muscles!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long and how hard you are working out.

If it's a regular, cardio/weight lifting workout for an hour...it really isn't important to fill up on carbs, or protein. If you are biking for 3 hours...you'll need to carb up a little before and after.

You should add more detail about what you are doing, when and for how long.

I used to work out at 5am before work and I would eat 1/3 of a protein bar on my way to the gym, because I knew I wasn't going to have breakfast until 7ish when I was done and at my desk. Not only does your body think it's "starving" waiting that long to eat, but I would have no energy since I hadn't eaten since 7pm the night before. Edited *But I did eat breakfast just after, which is normally my bowl of cheerios and milk-protein and carbs*