Eggo waffles

Options
Has anyone else noticed that the calories on a box of eggo waffles don't make since? It says that 1 whole wheat waffle is 80 calories, but it says 2 whole wheat waffles are 170 calories??? If my math is right 80+80=160 , I thought maybe it was a typo but I went to the website and it says the same, how could this be correct? Does anyone know?

Replies

• lightinurlife
    Options
    I have noticed that! It bothers me.
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Its one of 2 things. First, they assume you burn an additional 10 calories engaging in the second classic "leggo my Eggo" tussle because you keep your heart rate elavated longer. Or its the thermic effect of bullsh!+!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Probably the same magic that makes things that are less than 5 calories "0". Maybe there's 4.5 extra calories per waffle and they decided to round up?
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    no, no, no there's a reason to this and i can't remember it...i learned it in WW about a dozen or two years ago....*face palm* i can't remember but there is a logical explanation...someone will know...i just dont have the desire to google it :)
  • Boomqueesha21
    Options
    Exactly! It bothers me too, because I'm like how many calories am I eating? How can adding the same size waffle add 10 more calories? I call bs.
  • Boomqueesha21
    Options
    no, no, no there's a reason to this and i can't remember it...i learned it in WW about a dozen or two years ago....*face palm* i can't remember but there is a logical explanation...someone will know...i just dont have the desire to google it :)

good idea google! i google everything but this just seemed like common sense, i'll google now thanks :)
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't be eating eggo's. It's pretty easy to make your own pancakes, muffins, waffles, and you can freeze 'em just as easily.

:)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Like I said with the <5 turning to "0" calories, they are allowed to lie a bit. I remember reading that food labels just need to be within a certain % of what the food really is. The weight of food is regulated more than the calorie counts are.
  • Boomqueesha21
    Options
    Like I said with the <5 turning to "0" calories, they are allowed to lie a bit. I remember reading that food labels just need to be within a certain % of what the food really is. The weight of food is regulated more than the calorie counts are.

Yep when googling it the only reasonable answer I came up with was rounding. There's no telling. Thanks for your insight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yep when googling it the only reasonable answer I came up with was rounding. There's no telling. Thanks for your insight.

How could rounding make a 10 calorie difference?
  • Boomqueesha21
    Options

I just said that to my bf....the only thing i could come up with from googling it, so idk? maybe I should email kellogg and find out.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Labels are allowed to be off 10% or so I believe
  • Boomqueesha21
    Options
    Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't be eating eggo's. It's pretty easy to make your own pancakes, muffins, waffles, and you can freeze 'em just as easily.

:)
    I suppose I could make my own. However I have 3 small children and a busy schedule, no time for it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

If the waffles are really 85 calories, by law they can round down to 80. It makes you think if you only eat 1 waffle that it is a low calorie option.. So if you consume 2 waffles at 85 +85 = 170 there is your 10 calorie difference.

So Kelloggs is claiming on 1 waffle it is only 80 calories, which by law they can round down the 5 calories.........BUT, since a serving size is 2 (I believe) they have to include those extra calories because it can't be rounded down because it is >5 calories.

Trickery at its finest.

Just another reason to get rid of all the packaged junk food they want to pass off as so-called healthy options that will leave you hungry an hour after you eat it.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Crazy..... I wonder how that works?:noway:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If the waffles are really 85 calories, by law they can round down to 80. so if you consume 2 waffles at 85 +85 = 170 there is your 10 calorie difference.

Just another reason to get rid of all the packaged junk food they want to pass off as so-called healthy options that will leave you hungry an hour after you eat it.

Just one Eggo (or Kashi) whole grain waffle with 1 tbs peanut or soy butter and 1 tbs maple syrup keeps me full for several hours. I eat these often on the weekends to fuel up before a morning workout, and even after an hour of intense cardio it's usually 2 - 3 hours before I get hungry again.