I need some encouragement or something!

Options
mommyoftwins05
mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
Almost a month ago I posted about needing to majorally go to the dentist... because my wisdom teeth are falling apart, I have some cavaties and bad gums.. but really scared to go. Scared of the criticism and finding out there is something seriously wrong. I need leave a message with the dentist that day... about needing to make a appt but they never called and then I just put it off and kept saying to myself I'll go after the holidays.. spring or whatever

But I really need to go.. I really need a push. My stomach is all messed up just thinking about making the phone call

Replies

• SaltAnAtlas
    SaltAnAtlas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Better to take care of it sooner than later - DO IT, CALL NOW!!! Stating the obvious here, but your teeth are very important!
    Treat them right!!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I can't really blame you. I hate the dentist and resist going myself. Just call and make an appointment. If they are like dentists around here, your appointment will be sometime next year anyway, and you can just forget about it until then!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    It will only be worse, my motivation is that a friend of mine has no teeth and it grosses me out!! Plus he can't eat pistachios or even some of my favorite foods. I know that we cannot afford something like that!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Almost a month ago I posted about needing to majorally go to the dentist... because my wisdom teeth are falling apart, I have some cavaties and bad gums.. but really scared to go. Scared of the criticism and finding out there is something seriously wrong. I need leave a message with the dentist that day... about needing to make a appt but they never called and then I just put it off and kept saying to myself I'll go after the holidays.. spring or whatever

But I really need to go.. I really need a push. My stomach is all messed up just thinking about making the phone call

the longer you leave it the more chance there will be something seriously wrong... DO IT!

plus think of the bad example you are setting for your kids... dont they go to the dentist!?
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    I can't really blame you. I hate the dentist and resist going myself. Just call and make an appointment. If they are like dentists around here, your appointment will be sometime next year anyway, and you can just forget about it until then!

Very true.. I really need to just get it over with. I'm sure I'll have three appts. One for cleaning... then one for fillings..and then the one I'm most scared of.. is getting my wisdom teeth surgically removed (if the ins will cover it) and last time I went to that oral surgeon .. he talked down to me about my gums.. I think thats why i'm so scared
  • mblackburn731
    mblackburn731 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just do it! If you are worried or embarassed of what they will think, don't be. They see it all the time. If you aren't comfortable with the way talked to you before, find a new dentist. They should advise you how to care for them properly but still be compassionate. There are too many dentists out there to settle for one that talks down to you. Pick up the phone and call them back or call a new one! :)
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You need to do it!!!! Gum disease and cavities, when left untreated, can lead to HEART DISEASE!!!

People don't even realize the connection between the two, but you could potentially be killing yourself if you don't get your teeth checked out!!
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options

the longer you leave it the more chance there will be something seriously wrong... DO IT!

plus think of the bad example you are setting for your kids... dont they go to the dentist!?
    '

My twins have been to the dentist.. but only once.. and my oldest refuses.. yes I'm thinking about them.. this is the main reason I'm going to make myself go.. and go reguarly so they will too..
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You def want to just do it now - I am the same about the dentist...i waited WAY too long to go too...But i FINALLY got just enough courage to make the appointment...i did have some issues, but 1-they weren't as bad as i feared, and 2-waiting they will only get worse.
    One thing to try: when you call, talk to whoever you make the appointment with about your extreme discomfort at going...i went so far as to ask to be gassed - it would have cost me an extra $150, BUT would have been worth it to get the work done. As it turned out, they have a hygenist there, who they give all the patients who have Dentist-issues...now they just always assign her to me, and i am fine.
    I realize you are not in the same area with the same dentist, but it just shows that there could be some options that they can offer to help you out. They even offered to prescribe me valium for the day before/day of the visit.
    Hope that helps!!
    Suzi
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Make the call before you get seriously sick! Your family needs you to be alive and well - take care of yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Just do it! If you are worried or embarassed of what they will think, don't be. They see it all the time. If you aren't comfortable with the way talked to you before, find a new dentist. They should advise you how to care for them properly but still be compassionate. There are too many dentists out there to settle for one that talks down to you. Pick up the phone and call them back or call a new one! :)

I always try and think that they see worst than this.. but it doesn't help. The dentist I went to in 09 was in nice.. but my wisdom teeth need to be surgically removed and the oral surgeon I saw when I broke my jaw talked down to me..so I'm afraid of going back there for my wisdom teeth
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Make the call before you get seriously sick! Your family needs you to be alive and well - take care of yourself! :flowerforyou:

Yeah my fiancee read about this guy who had bad wisdom teeth.. and he couldn't afford the meds.. he took the pain meds and not the antibotics and he died... because of the infection went to his brain or something.. so yes that scares me.. I really gotta get my butt in there. I want my kids to have a mom..but part of me is scared that it is too late.. that my gums have done too much damage.. my gums have been bad since I was a kid
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    It will only be worse, my motivation is that a friend of mine has no teeth and it grosses me out!! Plus he can't eat pistachios or even some of my favorite foods. I know that we cannot afford something like that!!!

Yeah I have a aunt and uncle like that.. I really gotta just do it.. for my kids sake too. there is a lot of people that don't have insurance and would love their teeth fixed.. I have medicaid.. not sure what they will cover but at least see
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Treat it like a bunch of bandades, pulling one off each call.

if you don't call you will just keep suffering, and that is worse. I have had all my wisdom teeth pulled, It hurt for a few days and I was on major pain medication, but it was done, and for that I am her happy.

Good luck and get it done, in this age where we don't have to walk a mile to pile water from a well, and if we wanted to eat good chines food we just need to order it over the phone, there is no reason why anyone should live suffering. If our ancestors could see us now they would be so jealous. :happy:
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Treat it like a bunch of bandades, pulling one off each call.

if you don't call you will just keep suffering, and that is worse. I have had all my wisdom teeth pulled, It hurt for a few days and I was on major pain medication, but it was done, and for that I am her happy.

Good luck and get it done, in this age where we don't have to walk a mile to pile water from a well, and if we wanted to eat good chines food we just need to order it over the phone, there is no reason why anyone should live suffering. If our ancestors could see us now they would be so jealous. :happy:

Yeah this past week my teeth have been bugging me.. mainly pressure pain.. but today when I got up a major pain hit me.. I was curled up on the floor in my bathroom..and hoping it would go away fast because I had four kids to get up and get ready for school. It went away..but took some time.. but that was defintely my wake up call.. I've had that pain before.. but I just thought to myself.. would I rather be in pain or face the dentist and take it all away? I've had teeth pulled when I was a teenager.. but the surgical part scares me
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    You have lost 20 pounds, and are obviously making serious efforts to take care of your body. Going to the dentist is just a part of this effort to care for yourself to ensure that you feel good about yourself and are around for your loved ones. The sooner you go, the sooner you can start addressing whatever problems, if any, may be going on with your gums and teeth. The world is full of people who judge, if your dentist/oral surgeon is one of them, you have to ignore the judgment and heed the advice. Hard, I know, but necessary. A lot of people here have been judged due to thier weight, and they have not let that stop them from improving their bodies. Do no let your dentist's judgment keep you from being a healthy and happy you.

Thank you!! About people on here being judged about their weight and not letting it stop them... that is great motivation. why should I let the dentist stop me from getting healthy?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thank you!! About people on here being judged about their weight and not letting it stop them... that is great motivation. why should I let the dentist stop me from getting healthy?

so you've rung then?!
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    I have had my wisdom teeth surgically removed- not pleasant but not horrible. I've had teeth surgically replaced (lost em in a car wreck and they put em back in, lol). The anesthesia (sp?) is often worse than any discomfort from the procedure. The nausea. And that passes in a day... and then no more pain in the gums, and no more worry! A little discomfort for a day is well worth the peace of mind.

Yeah I just gotta do it and get it over with. I guess I'm mainly scared of the unknown. That my unhealthy gums caused more problems that I know about
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    OMG I made a fool out of myself.. towards the end I asked if she could put a nervous patient down and I started crying.. while I was talking.. and she asked if I was ok.. I said yeah I'm just embarrassed and scared.. not sure if she understood me with the crying.. she said itll be ok its just a cleaning..
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options

so you've rung then?!

Yeah I just called.. my appt is the 30th.. I made a fool of myself