Coffe Creamer

Options
I bought me a big 20 ounce coffee this morning. When I got to work I proceeded to put my Hazelnut Creamer in and WOW 30 calories per tub. I use 8 in a large coffee, an extra 240 calories. I never looked before and during the winter it is an everyday thing.

I will look for sugar free this weekend.

Tina

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Wow, you use a lot of coffee creamer! I thought I was bad, haha :D
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep! My coffee creamer is a must for me. I've also tried using Agave Nectar (light) but wasn't so much a fan. I've just had to get used to drinking my coffee not so light :ohwell: . I allow myself 2 TBSP of Hazlenut creamer in a 8oz cup..comes out to about 60 calories!
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Be wary of the sugar free. Really read those labels. Many times, calorie-wise, you're better off shooting for the real thing (cream) and using less of it then looking for a sugar-free syrup if you must have the flavor. I love me some flavored creamer, but the trade-off isn't worth it.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    That's the great thing about logging on here - the mistakes (misconceptions / assumptions) we make are right there in our face - thus we have the opportunity to make changes to better ourselves and our health. Best of luck on finding a better option. :flowerforyou:
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamer is a downfall for me. Especially now that the holidays are getting close, the egg nog creamer is back!! This is one area I refuse to give up! I do many, many things right I want to enjoy my morning coffee ;) (I don't measure, I enjoy the taste)
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never realized how much was in those!! I am glad you posted this! I generally drink my coffee black - i taught myself to do that when trying to cut down on sugar. Now that i realize a packet of sugar is only 30 calories or something like that, i will once in a while put it in, but i still stick to black - then no sugar ever! I have tried just a little bit of honey for something different too. (i am just sure to measure it and not to just squeeze out of the bottle...LOL)
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I also used to have to have my coffee a certain color and would use a ton of creamer. I have come to the conclusion I will use one cup thingy )30 cals) ane 2 splenda in 16oz coffee. You just need to cut down. Adn I agree be weary of sugar free sometimes the real stuff is better.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I switched to flavored coffee and fat free half and half.. Like the flavors but too many calories.
  • bdmundt
    Options
    Silk has flavored coffee creamers that are alot less in calories and sugar. They don't "cream" your coffee as good, but it's a good alternative. Plus, if you ever look a the ingredients list of those flavord "non-dairy" creamers....they are all chemicals!!! Most of the ingredient lists I can't even pronounce! Plus you know they can't be good when the little tubs at the restaurants and gas stations say "no refridgeration required"! Much better off going with something natural like soy milk or almond milk.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You know what? I don't worry about my cream and sugar. When I have my coffee in the morning, it works out to something like 60 calories per mug, and I drink 2 mugs per day. And I really don't care. I dont' drink pop, I don't drink juice, I don't eat candy and cakes very often, and I try to make sure I'm eating whole foods whenever I can. My 120ish calories in the morning isn't really hurting me much in the grand scheme of things. And I refuse to drink fake sugar. It may be lower-cal, but that doesn't mean it's good for you.
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    I love coffee, espresso, frappes, all of it....but I will tell you right now.... coffee creamer needs to me cut out if you are trying to lose weight. There are far too many grams of sugar and carbs in that stuff!!!! Trust me....I LOVE it too....but its doing you more harm than favor to your taste buds.

My suggestion(well at least what I do)...use unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a packet of Truvia. Truvia is an all natural form of of sweetener. Or just Stevia in the raw. These are natural products that are actually far sweeter than granulated sugar, and you wont need a lot of it.

I drink coffee every single day...but the sugary creamer has become something that I "treat" myself with. Especially during the holidays with the yummy limited time flavors, I know it is hard to resist, but trust me.....it is just way too many wasted calories, sugar grams, and carbs.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    Couple of suggestions since I love my flavoured coffee! Trader Joes has a coconut milk beverage. I use the plain for just adding a whitener to my coffee and vanilla if I want flavoured.

Also you can always pick up a bottle of sugar-free flavoured syrup from the grocery store. These are the bottles the coffee stores use. You can also order them online. Getting a holiday flavour is great or mixing them together. Then I just add some non-fat milk. And, yes, I bring these things to work and lable them as mine. :)

Right now I'm already doing the Xmas thing with sugar free chocolate and surgar free peppermint. Yum!

Yes, they all have sugar substitutes but if you're sensative to sugar or are diabetic these things are wonderful!

BTW CoffeeMate makes 3 different sugar-free flavours but after so many years I got tired of them.
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep your right....those are some of the things that we overlook. I know I did for sure and they add up quickly in the fat and cal areas.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should switch to tea? If you use that much flavored creamer I don't think you actually like coffee.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I also use creamer, but because I've been logging it, I'm aware of how many calories I use. 240 for me would be overkill in that I'd much rather allocate those calories towards food.

That being said, as long as you're aware of it and logging it, I don't see harm in you making that choice, food intolerances aside.
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamer is one thing that I just haven't been able to budge on. I use the sugar free hazelnut or vanilla because I prefer the taste of it over the regular. (I always like the "diet" drinks better for some reason.) I know it's a big calorie hit each morning. I have been trying to reduce the amount I use in each cup, but I have to really pay attention to what I'm doing or the usual 3+ tablespoons goes in without even thinking.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Cream in my coffee is a must for me. I restrict it to 2 tablespoons of half and half, and two teaspoons of powdered generic creamer, and yes, I measure, and that is for a BIG mug of coffee.
    The powdered creamer seems very bad for my BG level, so I usually medicate then.
    It's my indulgence each day, and it's the best I can do!
  • slimmerme2012
    Options
    The creamer I use is 40 cal a serving....so Ive just been putting one serving in. Doesn't taste the best as putting 2 or 3 but its going to have to do! Im actually wanting to quit my coffee habit...but wow, its hard!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    some of the flavored creamers come in fat free options....they taste better than the sugar free to me....
  • cindaroses
    Options
    Unsweetend Almond Milk
    Milk

I put these in there, with just a little bit of flavored creamer. Sometimes I even use Muscle Milk Vanilla protein powder and then a TBSP of the creamer. It is great!