plateau already?

Options
I'm almost a month into this and I've been stuck at a 6 lb loss for a week now, and I was losing about 2 lbs a week. I'm keeping my calories around 1500/day (a little more on somedays, like super bowl sunday was around 1800-1900), and I try to vary my workouts everyday too. I'll do the 30 day shred #1 one day, a treadmill workout the next day, the 30 day shred #2 the next, a different treadmill workout the next, etc. I've been hearing about the zig-zag thing and was thinking of trying it. We're going out to dinner tonight so it'd be the perfect day to try it. What do you do when you hit a plateau?

Replies

• megbar1979
    megbar1979 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm almost a month into this and I've been stuck at a 6 lb loss for a week now, and I was losing about 2 lbs a week. I'm keeping my calories around 1500/day (a little more on somedays, like super bowl sunday was around 1800-1900), and I try to vary my workouts everyday too. I'll do the 30 day shred #1 one day, a treadmill workout the next day, the 30 day shred #2 the next, a different treadmill workout the next, etc. I've been hearing about the zig-zag thing and was thinking of trying it. We're going out to dinner tonight so it'd be the perfect day to try it. What do you do when you hit a plateau?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    1 week is not a plateau. 2 weeks is not even a plateau. Be patient, stick with it.
  • megbar1979
    Options
    Well, it's frustrating when you're seeing a steady loss and all of a sudden, nuthin.
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Some weeks you have bigger weight loss than others. I lost 4 my first week, 3 my second and then only 1 the next week, 1.5 the week after... and so far 2.5 this week (and I just had surgery so I have not exercised at all this week, I am so surprised I am still losing)! Hang in there, you will see the scale going down again in no time!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Kerri's right.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

give a read, it might help ya. Don't get discouraged. We all go through it.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Well, it's frustrating when you're seeing a steady loss and all of a sudden, nuthin.

I couldn't agree more, it's very very frustrating, but it's still not a plateau. It took me 3 weeks to lose any weight here, while there have been weeks wherein I've lost 4 lbs. Our bodies can be very unpredictable sometimes. There could be a zillion reasons why you didn't lose last week. Even a single high sodium meal (like your superbowl dinner) could have thrown off the scale by causing water retention. Could be anything, you won't see losses every week, it just won't happen, but when it does happen it's such an awesome feeling that it makes up for those weeks when there was no change :flowerforyou:
  • megbar1979
    Options
    Kerri's right.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

give a read, it might help ya. Don't get discouraged. We all go through it.

Thank you so much for posting that....I guess I'm in phase 2 then. It sucks, but I know I can get through it.
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    Hey megbar--I could have signed my name to your post and it would have been 100% true for me too! My first week, 5 lbs! Second week 3. Third week 1.5. Fourth week .5. I'm not giving up, because this is the way I have to eat forever--not just a way for me to lose some extra weight. But man, does this rapid slow down suck. I have 10 more to go, and initially I thought I could do it in about 3 months no sweat! Now I'm having to redo my expectations. I keep telling myself WATER, SLEEP, EXERCISE, EAT THE PLAN. But when even the tape measure doesn't register a loss, it is hard. I wish I knew what we could do to make the scale move again :grumble:
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you-frustrated from not seeing results I want. But from reading other posts about expectations, eating enough calories, etc. I've adjusted my attitude along with my calorie intake. I increased my calories, cuz I don't think I was eating enough. But the main thing I'm doing...sticking to it. I told myself that this time I was...TOTALLY COMMITTED. So I am giving it 90 days of 100%. I am doing Power90 exercise and tracking calories here. When the Power90 is done (90 days), I will reevaluate things and not a day before. I am just going to focus on counting down the days with exercise, water and healthy eating, not the scale and measurements (don't get me wrong, I will track progress, but my main focus is just working the program, the rest will come).