Saying Goodbye to an old friend of mine

Options
My latest blog entry on www.500lbs2marathon.com

Saying Goodbye to an old friend of mine.....

So last night I had to make a choice... I had to choose to part ways with a very old friend of mine... This friend I had leaned on as a crutch time and time again... This friend would always be there for me whenever something tough or challenging came my way.. This friend of mine was called "I CANT".....

November 10, 2011

My friend Ann, who this past Sunday completed the NYC Marathon (her first ever marathon), convinced me to join her at BOOT CAMP!!!! I was very hesitant at first because in my head rested my old dear friend "I Cant".

We arrived at Parisi Speed School @ around 7:30. Ann introduced me to two of the trainers at the school and had a chance to let them know a little about myself and I immediately felt a little more comfortable.

The class started at about 8:00 PM and we started with "warm-ups". Well this wasn't the sorta "warm-up" I had grown accustomed to. I was on the floor, off the floor, jumping, stretching, lifting, bending and at a very fast pace. This went on for about 15-20 minutes at which time we were given a very generous 2 minute water break.

We then moved into the weight training portion of the class. We were partnered off, and was with my friend Ann. We were doing sets of 20 reps of lunges, squats and bicep/tricep curls. Ann was a big help because my posture pretty much was awful, but she helped keep me straight and aligned.. And when i had problems doing the lunges and squats, I started to hear my old dear friend "I Can't" calling my name. Good thing I chose not to listen to him, but instead, listened to my friend Ann who said You CAN!

At around 9:00 PM at the end of class for "cool-down's" we did 5 sets of sprints. Which I really enjoyed, cause I got to run! But the best part was, I was moving FAST, I felt the wind at my back and the cool breeze against my face, which was comforting because I had never sweat that much in an hour before!

So, as Ann and I left the class, and walked out the doors to the car I made a choice right there and then. My old dear friend "I Can't" was left back at the school. Never again will I need him! No more excuses for me, none! There will never be an "I Can't" instead, its time for me to focus on what I CAN do!

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational! Thanks for posting. I cannot remember WHO posted it the other day so sorry original poster, but someone put this on a thread a few days ago and it's VERY apropos here:

CAN'T=Certainly Are Not Trying!
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    this is a super NSV!! thank you for your post - it have motivated me even more! :happy:
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    wooohoooo! awesome!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    wow so amazing to see such results. so proud of you!
  • preciousperez
    Options
    Your an inspiration! Thank you for being my friend and my motivator. Love you!:flowerforyou:
  • xjeanie
    Options
    That is amazing! Glad to hear you kicked that jerk to the curb! Sorry if he was a friend of yours...but he's seriously a jerk!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I know a lot of us have that same friend and I know I have been working really hard to ignore that sonofa*****.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha...Bye "I Can't", Gary won't be needing your friendship any longer. Sucka.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic story, that's for sharing.....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    You are awesome and I ♥ U!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I feel motivated now. Thanks bunches! Also, what kind of boot camp is this? I've heard people in my facebook group mention it offhandedly, but I always forget to ask them about it. Sounds like a challenge!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! Thanks for sharing
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Back when I was in HS track, my coach made us run a 400m yelling "I CAN!" at every light pole if he caught us saing the word. As every negetative needed at least 7 positives. Its been over 20 years since I"ve ran a "I CAN 400", but I still have a problem saying that word!
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    this is awesome! Congratulations on your weight loss success and all of your NSV's along the way. Just checked out your diary and WOW! what an amazing transformation. Keep up all of the hard work! You are a true inspiration!
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    congrats to you! My Dad always said, "can't never did anything"....I hated it when he said that, but he was so right. Great job you!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    That was a good story! Very motivational. My trainer makes me do 10 pushups everytime I say those words!:smile:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    What a great story! I have the same crappy friend, I need to let her go.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    LOVE that ... thank you so much for sharing!! I, too, have the same friend ... I need to kick her to the curb for good!!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    What a great attitude!

By the way your ticker is awesome. 245 lbs. lost, WOW congratulations & keep it up! :smile:
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Great story and good riddance to "I can't". That being said though it sounds like Ann is a keeper!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!