Almond milk?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I read yesturday that if you have to choose between skim milk or almond milk, they say to go with the skim as it is better for you.

I drink both - I'm curious, though, as to what the source of this is and what the basis was for determining which is "better".

Almond milk is basically just almonds soaked in water, ground up, and then the water is separated from the almond "pulp". Commercial almond milk will of course have additives, but some of the brands aren't too bad. It's lower calorie - which sometimes is good and sometimes doesn't really matter.

Skim cow's milk has more protein than almond milk, of course - but many people are lactose intolerant and you also have to worry about growth hormones and stuff like that. It's also higher calories, which doesn't always matter, but is something to consider.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    The American dairy industry is pretty horrifying, so now I drink almond milk mostly because of the suffering involved in a glass of dairy milk. But, I started drinking almond milk before I developed any real moral stance on the dairy industry. It's delicious and low in calories/sugars (if you get the unsweetened kind), and that's what drew me to it originally.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just started using almond milk. It's a good fat and low in calories! Perfect to lower my hot coco in the morning.

Also I think only animal products have cholesterol.
  • Alexdur85
    Options
    I read yesturday that if you have to choose between skim milk or almond milk, they say to go with the skim as it is better for you.

I drink both - I'm curious, though, as to what the source of this is and what the basis was for determining which is "better".

Almond milk is basically just almonds soaked in water, ground up, and then the water is separated from the almond "pulp". Commercial almond milk will of course have additives, but some of the brands aren't too bad. It's lower calorie - which sometimes is good and sometimes doesn't really matter.

Skim cow's milk has more protein than almond milk, of course - but many people are lactose intolerant and you also have to worry about growth hormones and stuff like that. It's also higher calories, which doesn't always matter, but is something to consider.

I haven't compared but I would assume the almond milk has a higher fat content and of course you know the truth is "Fat makes you fat".. The casein protein is ridiculous and has actually been linked up the symptoms of autism. But then again, something always causes something else.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    I absolutely love almond milk, but I don't love all the different brands of it. I've learned that almond milk can taste different from brand to brand. There are also different types of flavors of almond milk so it the original, non-sweetened version is too much for you, try a different flavor. My current buy is 365 Organic Almond Milk (Unsweetened). Love it on granola.

Give it a go and let us know how you made out with it.

Cheers,
    y.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I buy the original almond milk. I can't find vanilla unsweetened. I tried the unsweetened orginal it's not very good. The original as 7g of sugar in it. It taste really good in oatmeal. I don't like it by itself.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    So, I have a question. I've found almond milk just on the shelf, unrefrigerated. Then there is some in the dairy case that says it has to stay refrigerated. Anybody know the difference? I would think the unrefrigerated stuff might have more preservatives, maybe?

I've been buying the refrigerated. I buy the unsweetened vanilla and the sweetened vanilla. I like the sweetened better, but I also keep the unsweetened on hand in case I need the lower calorie version. Sometimes I need the sweetened because I need the additional calories. Having both on hand gives me some flexibility, and since the almond milk doesn't spoil as fast as regular milk, I can keep both on hand.

I was just curious about why some has to be refrigerated and some doesn't.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    So, I have a question. I've found almond milk just on the shelf, unrefrigerated. Then there is some in the dairy case that says it has to stay refrigerated. Anybody know the difference? I would think the unrefrigerated stuff might have more preservatives, maybe?

I've been buying the refrigerated. I buy the unsweetened vanilla and the sweetened vanilla. I like the sweetened better, but I also keep the unsweetened on hand in case I need the lower calorie version. Sometimes I need the sweetened because I need the additional calories. Having both on hand gives me some flexibility, and since the almond milk doesn't spoil as fast as regular milk, I can keep both on hand.

I can't answer all your questions, but I have both the shelf stable and the refrigerated original unsweetened Almond Breeze brand in my house and I can tell you the ingredient list is identical. The shelf stable one still has to be refrigerated, but not until after it has been opened. There is a slight nutritional difference though. The shelf stable version has 3.5g fat versus 3 for the refrigerated. Shelf stable has 30% calcium, 4% iron and 2% phosphorus compared to the refrigerated's 45% calcium, 2% iron and 4% phosphorus.

That's all I can tell you.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    We use it in smoothies when we want a low cal snack...and it is higher in calcium, and lower in sugars.
    I have both Silk almond milk and 1% cow's milk in my fridge. They have the same amount of fat; however, the Almond milk lacks potassium....and a lot of the protein. It also has a lot less calories. If I have the choice I go for the completely unsweetened Silk...even lower in calories.
    But I think that milk and almond milk are both delicious :)
  • Alexdur85
    Options

This link is for actual milk but I would imagine it not be much different.

http://www.diversifiedfoods.com/ShelfStableMilk.htm
  • angeleyez77
    angeleyez77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would like to try Almond Milk and see how I like it compared to reg milk. If theres less cals and carbs and cholesterol then yes its good enough for me to try :)
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I'm on a VLCD and milk has waaay too much sugar in it, so I switched to unsweetened almond milk. It's great in shakes and stuff. When I need something that's more like milk I just use heavy whipping cream.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I would like to try Almond Milk and see how I like it compared to reg milk. If theres less cals and carbs and cholesterol then yes its good enough for me to try :)

For the Almond Breeze brand original unsweetened (refrigerated): One cup has 40 calories, 2g carbs and 0g cholesterol.