Protein Intake??

Options
I guess I am not eating enough protein and I just wanted to ask what type of foods do you eat in order to get all of your protein in?
I was eating a lot of egg whites, but I just got tired of this. I do eat meat, fish and tuna (kinda sick of tuna) but I need other ideas to attain my protein goals. Lately I'm eating a lot of carbs and i need to stop this.

please list some of the foods / beverages which contain a lot of protein.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Whey protein
    Whole eggs (yolks are great, dont waste food).
    Beef
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Tilapia
    Turkey
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, fish, Greek yogurt, protein powder... Feel free to look at my diary for inspiration!
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating the egg whites, eat the yolks as well that is where all the goodness is....................I use protein shakes to up my protein amount.......what country are you from, if you are from the u.k i can recommend a good source !
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Add Greek yogurt and Cottage cheese to the list.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    my advice is considered useless and controversial here...
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    steak, chicken, fish, tuna, string cheese, almonds, whey protein shakes or bars
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious about the eggs. I thought the yolk had all the fat and cholesterol that we don't want??
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I never realised how much protein was in yogurt intil I joined MFP. I just started eating it again to help boost my protein. I need to add more protein (not just meat) into my diet as well, so I'm curious to see others' responses. :-)
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick list of my favorite high protein (> 10g/serving) sources:

Chicken Breasts
    Turkey Breast
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese (2%)
    Whey Protein Mix
    Casein Protein Mix
    Protein supplement bars

Some other lower (5-10g/serving) but significant sources of Protein I enjoy:

Cheddar/Colby/Mozzarella Cheese
    2% Milk
    Eggs
    Regular Flavored Yogurt
    Nuts (Peanuts, Cashews, Almonds)
    Nut Butters
    Pinto Beans
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Join one of the Paleo / Primal groups to get some really great suggestions & recipes for high-protein, low-carb foods. You can also do a search for previous threads on this subject.

When I get the munchies I snack on hardboiled eggs, cheese wedges or cheese cubes, pork rinds, kale or spinach chips, Greek yogurt, & beef jerky. My George Foreman grill is a great tool, I can throw any kind of meat, chicken, pork chops, fish, shrimp or kabobs on the grill with some seasonings, and have a meal in a couple of minutes.

Higher-protein lower-carb veggies are spinach, kale, other leafy greens, mushrooms, asparagus, sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower. There are a LOT of recipes where you can substitute shredded cauliflower instead of rice or potatoes & it brings the carbs way down.

Good luck to you!
  • jjohns52
    Options
    I have found jerky (beef, turkey) to be a great snack/source of protein. It can be low in fat, usually not too bad on the calories and it is quite chewy, so it helps satisfy the urge to eat.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    meat
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    Beans, Whole Grain products (whole wheat bread, brown rice, ect), greek yogurt, Luna or Lara bars, Eggs, cheese or other dairy, lean meats or fish, Hummus, Nuts esp almonds, Nut Buttters.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I snack on nuts and dry roasted edamame quite a bit which adds a lot of protein. I also eat a lot of beans (bean soup, bean dip, beans and cornbread, beans and rice...).

I'm usually over the MFP protein goal by varying amounts, though I don't purposely eat high protein.
  • 1blueeyedbear
    1blueeyedbear Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious about the eggs. I thought the yolk had all the fat and cholesterol that we don't want??

If you are trying to watch your cholesterol you don't want the yolks. I use egg beaters, almost the same amount of protein but none of the cholesterol.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

If you are trying to watch your cholesterol you don't want the yolks. I use egg beaters, almost the same amount of protein but none of the cholesterol.

That's actually a misconception. Eating cholesterol doesn't produce higher levels of cholesterol in your blood, any more than eating chocolate makes your blood chocolatey. :smile: (Good thing, or we really *would* have to worry about vampires...) :laugh:
    Seriously, our bodies are more complex than that. Cholesterol is used by your body for all kinds of good stuff. You only get too much of it in your blood when it's out there trying to repair cell damage and inflammation (which is one of its important jobs). So being overweight and/or otherwise unhealthy, and having damaged cells, is what really causes high cholesterol levels to build up in your blood. Studies have shown that becoming more healthy overall, improving BMI etc, drops your cholesterol levels, no matter how much cholesterol you actually eat.

Eggs are a natural food, and there are a lot of nutrients & good stuff in the yolks that you can't get by eating just the whites or by using egg substitutes. IMHO, the good stuff far outweighs any bad stuff in eggs. I eat at least 2 a day, sometimes as many as 6, and my cholesterol has steadily gone down for the past 9 months or so. So has my weight, so take that as you will... just my experience & opinion.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to one of a bunch of studies that looked at the link between consumption of eggs and Coronary Heart Disease. This particular study found no correlation *EXCEPT* some suggestion or correlation specifically in diabetic women. If you're relatively healthy, enjoy those whole eggs!!

http://www.ovosbrasil.com.br/download/umestudoprospectivodoconsumodeovos.pdf
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    That's actually a misconception. Eating cholesterol doesn't produce higher levels of cholesterol in your blood, any more than eating chocolate makes your blood chocolatey. :smile: (Good thing, or we really *would* have to worry about vampires...) :laugh:
    Seriously, our bodies are more complex than that. Cholesterol is used by your body for all kinds of good stuff. You only get too much of it in your blood when it's out there trying to repair cell damage and inflammation (which is one of its important jobs). So being overweight and/or otherwise unhealthy, and having damaged cells, is what really causes high cholesterol levels to build up in your blood. Studies have shown that becoming more healthy overall, improving BMI etc, drops your cholesterol levels, no matter how much cholesterol you actually eat.

Eggs are a natural food, and there are a lot of nutrients & good stuff in the yolks that you can't get by eating just the whites or by using egg substitutes. IMHO, the good stuff far outweighs any bad stuff in eggs. I eat at least 2 a day, sometimes as many as 6, and my cholesterol has steadily gone down for the past 9 months or so. So has my weight, so take that as you will... just my experience & opinion.

+1 to this. I eat a lot of eggs myself, my cholesterol is fine. I don't think anyone has taken dietary cholesterol/blood cholesterol seriously for a long time just one of those pieces of conventional wisdom that hangs around and is impossible to eradicate. I've read that when consuming more cholesterol in your diet your body simply makes less to compensate.

Now, if you start looking at things like LDL, HDL Trigs etc. it's starts getting a lot more complicated and controversial. We can talk about Pattern A or B LDL, what actually causes atherosclerosis, what numbers are important etc. Sadly the reality is that cholesterol, heart disease etc. is a lot more complex than how it's portrayed in the media.