my heart rate

Options
ok my standing rate with polar f-6 was like 80-100 BPM

and when I started my run today I do the wii fit for 30 mins in my living it jumps to over 200 BPM and I do not feel like I am really running hard or too fast

Is that because I am not in good shape and the more I do exercises better it will get?

thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    ok my standing rate with polar f-6 was like 80-100 BPM

and when I started my run today I do the wii fit for 30 mins in my living it jumps to over 200 BPM and I do not feel like I am really running hard or too fast

Is that because I am not in good shape and the more I do exercises better it will get?

thanks in advance!!!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Yes! Mine does the same thing... but because I've done this in the past, I know that the more often I work out, the lower my working heart rate. Basically, because you're not in the best of shape and your body isn't used to all this movement, your heart has to work extra hard to get blood pumping to all your muscles and organs. It's because your heart is not conditioned to handle the extra work. Try not to push yourself higher than about 190, though, because it is hard on your heart. You may feel like you can run faster, but until you get your heart in better shape, you should just take it kind of slow. The more often you run, and/or the longer the duration, the sooner your heart will become accustomed to the extra work and it won't have to pump as fast.

It will take 1-2 months to see a significant difference, but it will also affect your resting heart rate. Good luck and have fun with your Wii Fit!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing going on, but I've been working out religiously for at least 2 years (including running a half marathon). I was wondering if had to do with my asthma med and having 2 cans of diet coke a day (Minimum, no more than 3 though)
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I have the same thing going on, but I've been working out religiously for at least 2 years (including running a half marathon). I was wondering if had to do with my asthma med and having 2 cans of diet coke a day (Minimum, no more than 3 though)

I'm not a doctor, but if you have asthma, I would probably say that is why your heart rate is higher. Asthma limits the ability to get oxygen into your lungs, and thus into your blood... so your heart has to work a little harder than the average person to get enough oxygen to your vital organs and muscles. The coke might have a small impact, but if you've been drinking the same amount all this time, you're probably used to the caffeine anyway.

I was diagnosed with asthma as a kid and had to avoid any kind of high impact sports and running... I've mostly grown out of it, but when I'm out moving in the cold, I can feel my airways start to constrict as if I still have the asthma. It sucks. Also, if my allergies are acting up, the same thing happens.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    I am assuming you have check your hear rate just by feeling your pulse in your wrist to verify that your monitor is accurate.

My monitor is a different brand but it is usually pretty accurate when I check, but whenever there is a difference it is always high compared to the real heart rate, so you may want to verify every once in a while.
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    Hmm, if your HR is jumping up to 200 BPM it seems to me that your HRM may not be functioning properly or you have it in the wrong spot, the band is too tight, too loose or not getting a good reading.

Pretty much the only people who get over 200 are serious athletes or kids who are working out.

What you are looking for with your HRM is that your HR comes up fast with exercise and drops off quickly after. Also, try to get into the habit of taking a reading when you first wake up, and monitor this over a couple of weeks. This is a baseline reading and it should slowly come down as your cardio improves. This reading is also a good sign of over training. Your body needs rest and when it does not get enough your HR will be higher than normal.

It is true that the more cardio you do the lower your HR will be. This is because the stronger your heart becomes, the more blood it moves with each beat, requiring fewer beats overall. Also your muscles will become more efficient at taking on fuel and removing waste as they get used to working. This also requires less BPM.

Just remember if you start to feel really weak or dizzy to slow down, stop, and see your doctor...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about it jumping up for a few seconds or consistantly?

Cuz that happens to my polar every once in a while. If there isn't good contact with the skin, the polar can misread your heart beats and give you a false reading. I find it amusing that I step on the tread mill, look down as I start my warm up and see 94% in the Max HR area. It usually goes away after a few seconds, but sometimes it screws up for longer. I think it has something to do with leaving it in my bag all day and If my bag was in the trunk of my car, it gets pretty cold. Once it warms up I never have an issue, but every once in a while that happens. I imagine it could also have something to do with another electromagnetic signal interfearing too. The strap measures voltage differentials in your heart beat, so if something is giving off a strong signal, it could (theoretically) screw it up.