Opinions on BMR

Options
I calculated my BMR based on my height and weight, and came up with 2000 - 2300 calories a day, depending if I consider myself lightly or moderately active. I work in healthcare, and alternate sitting to type and getting up and down all day. I lift weights (fairly heavy) 3 or 4 times a week and do cardio 2 or 3 times as well. At home, I am constantly cleaning, painting, rearranging, etc. Not a lot of downtime except my MFP addiction :).
When I started MFP, it recommended 1200 calories a day. That made me cranky, headache-y, and generally miserable so I upped it to 1500 calories a day. I am by no means perfect, but I have made significant changes in the amount and quality of food I eat each day. I only drink soda one each morning, then water the rest of the day. I try to eat a lot of protein, veggies, and some fruit and keep it as clean as I can manage as a single mom who works full-time.
I have been on MFP for six months or so, getting more serious lately, and the weight is so slowly coming off. I do feel better - more energy, etc. and I am getting more toned from the weights....but I am just looking for advice on how to reach my goals faster without getting discouraged.
Am I eating too much/not enough? Should I be working out differently, etc.
Thanks for your input.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I calculated my BMR based on my height and weight, and came up with 2000 - 2300 calories a day, depending if I consider myself lightly or moderately active.

What did you use to calculate this? BMR does not include activity so perhaps you mean TDEE or maintenance and not BMR?
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I just did this this morning........now I am wondering if I did it right....need to pay attention to these answers! :)
  • paddythemic
    Options
    stop the soda.

try to get a taste for crystal light or MIO.

(trust me - i used to be addicted to mountain dew. you will do so much better without it and after awhile you wont miss it.)
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    stop the soda.

try to get a taste for crystal light or MIO.

(trust me - i used to be addicted to mountain dew. you will do so much better without it and after awhile you wont miss it.)

I think you got lost...
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal....I used a formula that used my height, weight and age....and I think I misphrased it when I posted. That gave me 1470! When I multiple by 1.? and 1.? it gave me the 2000 - 2300 calorie range. Sorry.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal....I used a formula that used my height, weight and age....and I think I misphrased it when I posted. That gave me 1470! When I multiple by 1.? and 1.? it gave me the 2000 - 2300 calorie range. Sorry.

No worries, this makes sense. I just wanted to clarify. I'll go back and read the rest of your post now =)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Slow is good though. If it is working and your feel good, keep at it. No need to feel crappy because you are impatient.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    What is your average rate of weight loss?
  • subela
    subela Posts: 76
    Options
    Yes, slow is a relative term. But I can certainly relate to your dilemma. I say, if it's going down, that's what you want. Slow, steady progress is going to be adding to your overall success and hopefully make maintenance easier. It also depends on how much you have to lose. The more I read peoples stories on here, there is not one pattern that fits all. With time you will get there. As I get closer to my goal, I know I will focus more on body fat and not an exact number on the scale. Sounds like you're on the right path. But you can always change things up a bit and experiment.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have only lost between 3 and 5 pounds in the past six months, depending on the day I weigh