Treadmill question

Options
I have been using the treadmill 3-4 times a week for about 4 months, along with doing Zumba. I walk at 3.5 then can run at 5.0 for about a minute and a half. My legs have no problem doing it....lol but my heart rate does not like it...lol.

I started off a month ago doing a 30 sec run and a 1.30min recovery walk. My problem is I don't seem to be able to go over 30secs of running without my heart rate getting to maximum very quickly.

Does anyone have any training suggestions. I would like to be able to run!!!

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Slow down!
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention...do you have or have you been screened for heart issues? This really sounds like something you have to talk to your doctor about. A lot of people do get elevated heart rate when they run and it is perfectly healthy but you have to check with your doctor before hand.
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yeah the point of running is to get your heart rate up. Are you having chest pain? Or is there a reason you've been told not to get your heart rate up?
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you are having difficulty running at 5 mph then slow down. Start at a lower number and as you build up the stamina and endurance you can increase the speed.

2909849.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Run slower for awhile. Instead of walk RUN, walk jog, build it up. I do it by HR, my treadmill has a HR button
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    Yup, slow down. Try jogging at 4, and slowly build up your endurance. Should be more of a shuffle, but it preps you to run, later on. I am a slow runner, and proud of it :-) but I can now jog for an hour, compared to those 30 seconds nine months ago. Good luck!
  • august832004
    Options
    i use the beat of the music to determine my pace, perhaps that may work, otherwise you may want to check your blood pressure.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Personally I like running outside much better, so I'd recommend that if you can. You can adjust your stride easier outside than on a treamill. That said, I do run on the treadmill. I found that I'm better running at 4-4.2 than anything higher as I get too winded and start coughing. Try lowering it to 4 and then bump up .1 at a time until you find your groove!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Mine has done the exact same thing. The body needs extra oxygen when using new muscles. Its just part of growing stronger.
    I also get frustrated that I can't run very far without getting winded...but it is getting better.
    Also make sure you've eaten well before you run.
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have found the following to be true. The measure of fitness is not by your heart pounding as you run, but by how fast it slows during your rest periods. Bring your heart rate to 80% of max for 30 to 60 seconds, then slow the rate of speed to a moderate walk until your heart rate slows 10 to 20 bpm. Repeat the interval over the next 20 to 30 minutes. This will train your cardio. It works. I could not catch my breath at first. Now, my heart slows 20 bpm over a 60 second rest interval. And you can interval train on pavement, treadmill, elliptical, stairs, or a bicycle. Keep us posted. Peace. And happy Veteran's Day.
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

this program helped me greatly. There was a time I could not run for more than 90 sec without a feeling that my lungs are going to come out of my chest. And now I can run for 2 miles without walking..

hope this helps.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think slowing down is the answer. I did not think of 4.0-4.2 as running! That's the problem right there. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

My heart and blood pressure are fine, no worries there.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as long as you aren't getting chest pain, it's okay to push it a bit. Don't do it regularly and do take walking breaks, but your heart is a muscle that will get more efficient over time as well. When I first starting running I was the same way. I'd hit my max heart rate really soon after I'd start running at a faster pace. Now, after running for just under a year I can run at 6.5mph on a 1.5 minimum incline and my heart rate stays where it used to when I was walking at 4mph. Now my heart rate only spikes when I push it up past 7mph.