How many lbs do you loose before changing clothes size?

Options
So I am just wondering HOW MANY TIMES I need to shop for smaller clothes- don't get me wrong I certainly DON'T MIND gettting smaller clothes but can be a wee bit costly. So I was wondering - How many pounds do YOU loose before you go out and get some new clothes? So far I have lost 23 pounds and had to get smaller size pants around the 20 pound mark, I didn't get new tops, yet, I just wear them big, but that is how I like them.... so if this is the norm for me, then I guess I can expect to get new ones again after loosing 20 more... how has it worked for you?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    In 50 lbs, I've lost one pant size and one shirt size.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Double post sorry!
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I am now starting to get to the stage that I really do need to buy new clothes, especially trousers. Tops I just wear big now, but for work I really need to look smart, trousers sagging & constantly having to pull them up is getting annoying. My husband tells me to buy a belt! I've dropped about 1.5 dress sizes so far.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I am now starting to get to the stage that I really do need to buy new clothes, especially trousers. Tops I just wear big now, but for work I really need to look smart, trousers sagging & constantly having to pull them up is getting annoying. My husband tells me to buy a belt! I've dropped about 1.5 dress sizes so far.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Exact same here.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    i've lost 23lbs and went from a 15/16 to a 11/12 and an XL top to an L
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person and how they carry their weight I think (are they bottom heavy? or top heavy?).

I've lost 60lbs total and went from a size 18/20 pants to an 8/10. I've gone from a 1X/2X shirt down to a medium/large.
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When it starts looking ridiculous to take them in, I get new. I am right now getting rid of my 5X's and getting 3X's. I'm sure that sounds silly to those who don't have much to lose but for me, I'm thrilled!

I sort of like perusing second hand shops so it's not so spendy there. Maybe get a few, new pieces that are classics and build with second hand until you are at your goal?
  • lradatz
    lradatz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yep, I was gonna say around 20lbs or so... You should lose around 1 1/2 pant sz by then, but you can always wear a belt.,.,. Shirts you can always wear big, until they become too baggy. But I think your right about 20 lbs... You can always shop at consignment shops, until you reach your goal weight and splurge for new! They really look for brand name and/or clothes w no stains, rips, etc, and that are still in style. Just a thought for you!
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've lost 74lbs and dropped from a size 20 to a size 8.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    bought new pants when I could take them off without undoing the buttons or zippers...shirts just wearing them still a little baggy...found some sweaters I bought about 20 years ago that fit nice...LOL
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I needed new clothes after 10 pounds! I'm still wearing some of my bigger stuff, but i constantly have to pull my pants up! I try to make what I have work or as long as I can. ;)

-Allison
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 20lbs and most of my pants are baggy (they were 22). My jeans can still fit, but I have to overdry them. I was able to get into my 20's last week and it was awesome. My dress pants are getting bad, so I'm going to tailor them. I've already started dropping size in tops too - I'm down to a few 1X tops, and all of my 2X tops are starting to fit funny.

I'm suspecting that if I would exercise more, I would drop clothing size quicker... :)
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually lose about 20lbs before I need a new pant size. I think it all depends on height, muscle mass, how you carry your weight, etc. My mom can lose 10lbs and drop 2 pant sizes, I lose 20lbs and barely drop one.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have lost 21lbs and im starting to notice clothes looking big on me. Shirt sizes I have lost a few sizes.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I think it was around my 20lb mark (and still is) when I went out to buy smaller jeans. They just started looking too big in the crotch and thigh area. I just bought a new pair not too long ago and I bought it a little snug.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    at 28 or so lbs lost, I went from a size 18 to a size 14
    yeah!!!
  • Peanutmanda
    Options
    At 225 I was a size 15/17 but after I got to like 190 I was able to wear size 11's. And altho they are huge on me, I can still wear the 11's even tho im in between a size 9/7 right now.. I weight like 154...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So I am just wondering HOW MANY TIMES I need to shop for smaller clothes- don't get me wrong I certainly DON'T MIND gettting smaller clothes but can be a wee bit costly. So I was wondering - How many pounds do YOU loose before you go out and get some new clothes? So far I have lost 23 pounds and had to get smaller size pants around the 20 pound mark, I didn't get new tops, yet, I just wear them big, but that is how I like them.... so if this is the norm for me, then I guess I can expect to get new ones again after loosing 20 more... how has it worked for you?

Good question... unfortunately everyone will have different results.. so for me... after my first 10lbs lost using MFP, I had to have my employer exchange my work-pants for a smaller size (WOOHOOO!) - went from XL to L!!!

Im about to need a change in my chef coats pretty soon at the rate Im losing here... I have a roomy XL sized chef coat right now, but I can manage with that size where I have to do all sorts of lifting, carrying, and the like.

My shirts can actually go down a size if I wanted to but I actually like the fact they are roomy... when its TOM, I want to be comfortable and I know how bloated I feel when it happens...

For now, Im going to keep the pants I have -they sure do have room, so I will use a belt where necessary.

My highest weight was 303#
    Im down to about 238# right now.

Once I hit my first goal of 200, I will consider purchasing a few new outfits that fit appropriately... And I know it will happen soon with how good this plan is working for me.
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have lost 16lbs total (only 3 since i've joined mfp)..and i've lost 1/2 a size? lol. A friend of mine who just lost a ton of weight, gave me all of her size 11 pants, and they were way too tight to wear before. So I always wore a 13. My 13's still fit with a belt, but the size 11's also fit me now, pretty comfortably, without a belt. One of my other friends, weighs about 15lbs less than me, and also wears a size 11. I have also had 2 kids, and she hasn't had any. Also, I used to wear a size 9 in highschool when I weighed 145/150..but I was shaped different...so I think it all just depends on how your body is shaped.