What to eat - wisdom teeth coming out???

Options
So I am having my wisdom teeth out next Wednesday and will only be able to eat soft foods or liquid for a while (at least thats what the dr is telling me). Anybody have any suggestions that won't totally blow my diet? I will get some protein shakes because I probably will not be able to eat meat for a little whille.

Replies

• rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i love cream of ....... campbells soups that are 98% fat free low calories and so way yummy
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My wisdom teeth were so impacted..I could barely open my mouth to take my meds. My mom got me some supplement shakes..drank from the bottle cause straws are a no-no. SInce I am East Indian..she make some of that food..cause its soft and was easy to squeeze through my mouth that wouldnt open..
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    apple sauce lol make sure u rinse alot.

about a month after i got mine out i went to cambodia/thailand. and brushed my teeth with the water there.... they hadnt healed all the way... lol
  • nikki91950
    Options
    reduced fat cottage cheese, apple sauce, sugar free pudding and jello, grits, oatmeal, pancakes, soup. home made smoothies and milk shakes would be good, too!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot of V8 when I had my wisdom tooth pulled. And mashed potatoes.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs.
    also, though, i wouldn't worry about your diet too much during this time. you won't probably feel like eating a huge meal, so eat what you want.
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Had my wisdom teeth out a while ago and I found that pasta was pretty good. I overcooked it slightly so it was softer and didn't have any trouble eating it. I agree with rsdgirl as well, soups are great as long as you let them cool off.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    whatever you try, make sure its warmed up, had icecream when i got mine out, the pain was incredible...
  • nikki91950
    Options
    My wisdom teeth were so impacted..I could barely open my mouth to take my meds. My mom got me some supplement shakes..drank from the bottle cause straws are a no-no. SInce I am East Indian..she make some of that food..cause its soft and was easy to squeeze through my mouth that wouldnt open..

don't let this ^ worry you. mine were impacted as well but was able to open my mouth normally, for the most part. i was back on being able to chew bread within 3 days.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    Soups, shakes, oatmeal...and don't forget to clean out the wounds after meals with the little syringe thingy they'll give you!!
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Protein shakes for sure. You can add any type of fruit and even veggies like spinach, some carrot juice. All sorts of different combos to get your fruit and veggies in. Definitely make sure you are getting your daily fat requirements by adding nut butter.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had my usual banana/strawberry/plain yogurt smoothie early on.

I cooked baked chicken, cornbread dressing, greens and made potato salad the day before my surgery (had a holiday theme in mind for some reason).

I ate a little of that within 12 hours of my surgery as I slept the whole time before. Very little pain also.

You may be surprised and not have to alter your diet much. You may even be able to eat your regular food within 24 - 48 hours. Its different for everyone.

Good luck. :-)

ETA: I think cream soup(s) would be great as suggested. :-)
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out at once and I put anything that sounded good into the blender lol
    Making your own pureed food with a blender or food processor can increase your food options

beans or chilli
    mashed potato's
    soups
    fat free puddings
    low fat ice cream or frozen yogurt
    rice dinners into blender
    cream of wheat
    Yogurt
    macaroni and cheese
    Mostly any pasta dish or Casserole dish can be pureed
    Spaghetti and meatballs makes an easy pureed meal
  • nikki91950
    Options
    you have a baby… maybe she'd be willing to share some of her food? ;)
  • When I had mine out I ate a lot of the V8 boxes soups, fat free re-fried beans (with low fat cheese, lite sour cream and hot sauce), fake mashed potatoes (cauliflower or turnip half mashes) and I made a lot of "frozen yogurt" (frozen bananas blended with flavoring).
  • igora_soma
    Options
    When I had mine out I pretty much ate unsweetened apple sauce with cinnamon for 2 weeks. YUM!
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes for sure. You can add any type of fruit and even veggies like spinach, some carrot juice. All sorts of different combos to get your fruit and veggies in. Definitely make sure you are getting your daily fat requirements by adding nut butter.
    [/qu
    ote]

this for sure
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas I didn't even think about! :bigsmile: My top ones are impacted but the bottom ones are flat on their side; these are the one's that will cause some problems I think.

I was worried about the fruit/veggies - I'll have to get some v-8 and maybe canned fruit. I'll probably live on soup though!!

I am probably worrying too much and over-thinking. More than likely I won't want to eat much. :ohwell:

I just hope I am ok by Thanksgiving!! :noway:
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    you have a baby… maybe she'd be willing to share some of her food? ;)
    [/quote

:laugh: I actually thought about that - not seriously though!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I ate baby food and chocolate milk....
    I WOULDN'T eat that! lol
    **shiver**