Female Cycles

Questions for the ladies...sorry men if TMI. :-)

How do you deal with cravings during your monthly cycle?

Do you work out while cramping? If so, does it make you feel better?

What about times when you don't feel like eating but know you have to?

Thanks for your input ladies!!!

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    my problem is usually, I want to eat, but I don't have calories left. I'm not hungry, I just want to eat comfort food.
    And, usually working out helps me with cramps, the only thing that I found makes them worse is swimming, and even that's fine if I'm moving in the water, not just chilling in the water.
  • I literally feel like a bottomless pit the week before I get my period. I up the weight training when Im PMSing tp rev my metabolism (it's already burning faster with pms anyways) and try to keep my cravings in check but sometimes I give into them. I workout all through having my period too, I feel like it keeps my mood stable and actually eases cramps!
  • oaken
    oaken Posts: 35 Member
    MEN BEWARE!! THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT MENSTRUAL CYCLES!!

To the OP: To answer your question, I am currently going through my cycle. I notice that days before it comes, I don't really have cravings but I constantly feel hungry. The other day I was exercising and I had cramps like a mother... so I pushed through my workout - didn't notice that it was helping my cramps. When I got home, I ate a banana and two advils and it went away, of course. If I don't have advil, I try to eat a banana because they're loaded with potassium which helps cramps. (Something I learned when I played soccer at a young age).

I also have really bad cramps and always have whenever I get my period. So that's something I've learned to deal with.

But I can't say I never feel like eating.
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Working out, even walking for an hour ALWAYS helps my cramps and mood and appetite for junk. I keep some high quality dark chocolate around for the cravings. At least then it's somewhat healthy if I can moderate it.
  • my cravings are BAAAD for like a day or 2. i usually just give in with moderation and i used to have horrible cramps until i went on the pill but i find having a consistent workout schedule i dont get them anymore
  • Rensco
    Rensco Posts: 36
    I found working out made my cramps worse. Pain makes me stressed though, so it might help you if you're not wimpy like me :ohwell: As far as cravings, my big discovery was that I needed to eat what would satisfy me. This cut out all the grazing that I did as I tried NOT to eat what I really wanted. I mean, if I want a piece of chocolate cake, then eating carrots, 100 calorie packs, a tiny bite of chocolate, etc. - none of it did it, I still ended up eating the cake on top of all of that. Better to eat a small piece of cake and be happy then eat a ton of stuff trying to get satisfaction. Good luck in finding what works for you!
  • YES. I also feel like a bottom-less pit when I'm on my cycle.. the week of and the week before, (mostly chocolate and salt)!! I do exercise while on as well.
  • I don't get food cravings, my only craving i get is locking my boyfriend in the basement for that week :tongue: I usually get horrible cramps since I have gotten the IUD, this month however they weren't as bad but I have been a lot more active so maybe I haven't noticed them as much.

I stayed out of the kitchen and focused on other things, like housework or homework, reading books, walks etc...Try starting a new hobby to keep yourself busy and of course water helps. From my experience, Keeping your mind and body busy takes away from the cravings. When I'm not hungry but I know I need to eat. I eat something light some fruit, graham crackers or snack that you.

Good Luck!!
  • Lupiemomma30
    Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
    I don't get food cravings, my only craving i get is locking my boyfriend in the basement for that week :tongue: I usually get horrible cramps since I have gotten the IUD, this month however they weren't as bad but I have been a lot more active so maybe I haven't noticed them as much.

I stayed out of the kitchen and focused on other things, like housework or homework, reading books, walks etc...Try starting a new hobby to keep yourself busy and of course water helps. From my experience, Keeping your mind and body busy takes away from the cravings. When I'm not hungry but I know I need to eat. I eat something light some fruit, graham crackers or snack that you.

Good Luck!!

You have an IUD? I was thinking about getting one....doesn't it cause weight gain? And I heard its supposed to help with cramps and heavy periods. Well, that's what I heard about Mirena. Which one do you have? Sorry if too many questions!!!!
  • Lupiemomma30
    my problem is usually, I want to eat, but I don't have calories left. I'm not hungry, I just want to eat comfort food.
    And, usually working out helps me with cramps, the only thing that I found makes them worse is swimming, and even that's fine if I'm moving in the water, not just chilling in the water.

Maybe I'll do some incline walking on the treadmill or use the stationary bike. I don't think I'm in the mood for zumba or aerobics or anything. I'll see how that goes and if I feel better.
  • Lupiemomma30
    I literally feel like a bottomless pit the week before I get my period. I up the weight training when Im PMSing tp rev my metabolism (it's already burning faster with pms anyways) and try to keep my cravings in check but sometimes I give into them. I workout all through having my period too, I feel like it keeps my mood stable and actually eases cramps!

What about crunches?
  • Lupiemomma30
    MEN BEWARE!! THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT MENSTRUAL CYCLES!!

To the OP: To answer your question, I am currently going through my cycle. I notice that days before it comes, I don't really have cravings but I constantly feel hungry. The other day I was exercising and I had cramps like a mother... so I pushed through my workout - didn't notice that it was helping my cramps. When I got home, I ate a banana and two advils and it went away, of course. If I don't have advil, I try to eat a banana because they're loaded with potassium which helps cramps. (Something I learned when I played soccer at a young age).

I also have really bad cramps and always have whenever I get my period. So that's something I've learned to deal with.

But I can't say I never feel like eating.

Hmmm... I didn't know potassium helped cramps. I'll try eating a banana! Thanks!
  • Lupiemomma30
    I found working out made my cramps worse. Pain makes me stressed though, so it might help you if you're not wimpy like me :ohwell: As far as cravings, my big discovery was that I needed to eat what would satisfy me. This cut out all the grazing that I did as I tried NOT to eat what I really wanted. I mean, if I want a piece of chocolate cake, then eating carrots, 100 calorie packs, a tiny bite of chocolate, etc. - none of it did it, I still ended up eating the cake on top of all of that. Better to eat a small piece of cake and be happy then eat a ton of stuff trying to get satisfaction. Good luck in finding what works for you!

Good points!!!!
  • Lupiemomma30
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!
  • I literally feel like a bottomless pit the week before I get my period. I up the weight training when Im PMSing tp rev my metabolism (it's already burning faster with pms anyways) and try to keep my cravings in check but sometimes I give into them. I workout all through having my period too, I feel like it keeps my mood stable and actually eases cramps!

What about crunches?

Crunches help. I pop tons of ibuprofen. Pilates and yoga are my favorite for the first 2 days when i'm fatugued and crampy and hurting bad.
  • YES. I also feel like a bottom-less pit when I'm on my cycle.. the week of and the week before, (mostly chocolate and salt)!! I do exercise while on as well.

All I can think about is french fries and loafs of bread!
  • I don't get food cravings, my only craving i get is locking my boyfriend in the basement for that week :tongue: I usually get horrible cramps since I have gotten the IUD, this month however they weren't as bad but I have been a lot more active so maybe I haven't noticed them as much.

Good Luck!!

You have an IUD? I was thinking about getting one....doesn't it cause weight gain? And I heard its supposed to help with cramps and heavy periods. Well, that's what I heard about Mirena. Which one do you have? Sorry if too many questions!!!!

I have the Paragard, its hormone free. I received it 2 years ago because I kept getting pregnant and having miscarriages, no other birth control worked for me. But since I have gotten it my cramps and period all together has been worse. Advil is my best friend for those 3-5 days. The Mirena is better from what my sisters and friends tell me. Each of them has told me that their period has gotten better and my sisters don't even get theirs anymore. I just didn't want the extra hormones because I PMS hardcore and my Dr. recommended it. I suggest the Mirena if you do choose to go with that form of birth control and you aren't effected by the extra hormones.
  • During my cycle I dont have food cravings..I actually refrain from eating food because it feels make my stomach feel heavy and bloated just from a few bites. Working out during your cycle is a plus...a woman just posted recently how you burn more calories during your period because its already doing work getting all of your daily fluids. So YES workout even harder on your period and depending on who you are it could make you feel better or worse. For me, it makes me feel better because im not focusing my cycle, Im focusing on exercise so it just takes my mind off of it.
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    I don't usually have a cycle because of my mirena, but because of that when I do it's HORRIBLE! I just push myself through it and keep exercising. I actually do feel better in the end.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    They are just like any other day for me honestly. I literally have one cramp right before it kicks in then nothing and I have no cravings. Seems as if I'm in the minority.