Soccer Conditioning~HELP!

Options
HELP!!

I am looking to try and condition myself this winter to try and play in a soccer league in the spring. It has been many years since I have played.

Do any of you have any suggestions on where to start and how fast to push?

Replies

• shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    What position would you be playing? Defense,Mid Feild,Goalie,Forward?
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do the same, but I want to really be in shape and lose another 20 lbs before commiting. I have been doing a lot of endurance jogging while increasing my jogging time without walking. Next I will work on adding in sprints.
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a 64 year old grandma who played soccer in Waterford well into my 40's.I have bad knees now so take easy as the weight comes off. I played defence and let the younger gals handle the mid-field sprints. I also played goalie a bit. In my 30's and 40s I would condition with walk, run, sprint sets. I think that might be a bit difficult at the start but you might try sets of walk, jog , walk, jog and start slowly. Of course you know to stretch and walk a bit before conditioning. I am sure there are many soccer coach/ trainers out there who can help you. But a reminder...our girl is not a 17 year old kid. Do they still have women's indoor leagues in the area? You are going to be a beautiful bride! I just love soccer!! Have fun.
  • mickey03babz
    mickey03babz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What position would you be playing? Defense,Mid Feild,Goalie,Forward?

When I played as a kid I played mostly defense with a little mid-field action. I am looking to just get on a team this spring/summer.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Depending on your level of fitness I would start really easy with walking and then slowly progressing into running, I have played and coached (kids) futball for many years, you definitely don't want to start full blast..... 30 minutes x day walking, ball touching exercises progress into running/sprinting with ball juggling
    Good luck
  • mickey03babz
    Options
    I'm hoping to do the same, but I want to really be in shape and lose another 20 lbs before commiting. I have been doing a lot of endurance jogging while increasing my jogging time without walking. Next I will work on adding in sprints.

This is very helpful and keep it going.
  • mickey03babz
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a 64 year old grandma who played soccer in Waterford well into my 40's.I have bad knees now so take easy as the weight comes off. I played defence and let the younger gals handle the mid-field sprints. I also played goalie a bit. In my 30's and 40s I would condition with walk, run, sprint sets. I think that might be a bit difficult at the start but you might try sets of walk, jog , walk, jog and start slowly. Of course you know to stretch and walk a bit before conditioning. I am sure there are many soccer coach/ trainers out there who can help you. But a reminder...our girl is not a 17 year old kid. Do they still have women's indoor leagues in the area? You are going to be a beautiful bride! I just love soccer!! Have fun.

They do still have a few indoor leagues that look to be fun and a bit competitive. Thank you for the insight it will come in handy.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You need to do lots of interval training to be competitive in soccer.

I used to alternate between interval sessions (ex running flat out for 30 seconds, then cutting back to a jog for a minute or so, then running again) I'd do interval sessions for like 20 minutes.
    Then other days I'd have more of a steady jog to work on endurance.

I don't know the rules of your league, in the one I played for, we were allowed to sub in and out more than once, so you didn't have to be able to last the full 90. If thats the case, work on being able to put in a good 20 minutes. Take a break. Then head back out for the 2nd half.
  • mickey03babz
    Options
    Depending on your level of fitness I would start really easy with walking and then slowly progressing into running, I have played and coached (kids) futball for many years, you definitely don't want to start full blast..... 30 minutes x day walking, ball touching exercises progress into running/sprinting with ball juggling
    Good luck

My level is walking 3.0 mph (walking the dog) I do sprints during the walk to get the heart rate up. Thank you for the suggestion on the ball touching exercises. I didn't even think about the ball handling.
  • mickey03babz
    Options
    You need to do lots of interval training to be competitive in soccer.

I used to alternate between interval sessions (ex running flat out for 30 seconds, then cutting back to a jog for a minute or so, then running again) I'd do interval sessions for like 20 minutes.
    Then other days I'd have more of a steady jog to work on endurance.

I don't know the rules of your league, in the one I played for, we were allowed to sub in and out more than once, so you didn't have to be able to last the full 90. If thats the case, work on being able to put in a good 20 minutes. Take a break. Then head back out for the 2nd half.

This is very helpful. I don't know the rules yet either I want to be able to go out and play before I even start an kind of commitment. It figure I have the winter to get ready and then I will hit the community for the teams and rules.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on the interval training...start off slow and work your way to jogging and sprinting (the reason I asked what position you want to play is because depending on what position you play the more sprinting or full on running you do and how good your ball skills need to be)

I play in women's competitive soccer and usually play year round, but unfortuantly where I have moved too there is no indoor soccer. There are many women that haven't played decide to start playing and don't let not playing for awhile stop you from going out and playing!!

Everyone starts somewhere, right!!! Work your way as you can playing around with the ball too...if you can get a ball and kick it to someone, or against a wall, get cones and weave in and out of them, jump over a rope from side to side to get your knees ready for different movements, strengthen your quads and hamstrings (sqauts, lunges help)
    YOu will be using muscles you never knew you had...If you want "friend" me and I can help as much as I can...

Congrats and I love soccer and it is an awesome excersise and FUN to play!!
  • pennysmom1
    pennysmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There's no better training than just getting out on the field and playing! :) A few years ago I jumped back in after not playing for 4 or 5 years (I had played my entire life prior to gaining weight). It was brutal and I had to sub after just 3 or 4 minutes (it was indoor soccer so a few long sprints about did me in!) but I tell you after just a few weeks of playing indoor soccer twice a week, the pounds just started falling off.

Biggest advice though? STRETCH!!!! Especially those hamstrings. Those are the first to pull when you've been out of the game for awhile.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Definately interval training. I play with a women's league here and boy my 1st season was tough.

I had to work on endurance as well.
  • mickey03babz
    Options
    There's no better training than just getting out on the field and playing! :) A few years ago I jumped back in after not playing for 4 or 5 years (I had played my entire life prior to gaining weight). It was brutal and I had to sub after just 3 or 4 minutes (it was indoor soccer so a few long sprints about did me in!) but I tell you after just a few weeks of playing indoor soccer twice a week, the pounds just started falling off.

Biggest advice though? STRETCH!!!! Especially those hamstrings. Those are the first to pull when you've been out of the game for awhile.

Thank You, this is very help full advice and encouragement.
  • mickey03babz
    Options
    Definately interval training. I play with a women's league here and boy my 1st season was tough.

I had to work on endurance as well.

Thank You, I didn't even think about the endurance part.
  • JPLYLER09
    JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Where are you located? I also play in a women's league here in CT (well will be when it decides to stop raining)