Running Shoes

Options
How bad is it to get a pair of running shoes on sale at Kohl's? When I bought my old shoes at the running store, the salesman told me not to buy discount shoes at department stores because they've been sitting on a shelf for too long and have "expired" somehow (can't remember exactly what he said). Would it really be so bad to replace my worn-out shoes with Kohl's shoes? I only run on a treadmill.

Replies

• kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Uhh, as far as I know, shoes don't expire until you have run a few hundred miles in them. I would just say - make sure they fit correctly and support your foot type!
  • cassblue21
    Options
    My sister got hers at Kohls and likes them. I went to the running store because my feet are weird and I needed to learn what size/width I needed for running. :) I say if they fit and feel comfortable to you then go for it!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Shoes don't expire. I think the main advantage of a more expensive shoe is comfort. A lot of shoe sales rhetoric is hot air.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    They are probably just talking about the rubber/plastic material in the shoe breaking down. That takes quite a while though!!!
  • igora_soma
    Options
    The most important thing is to make sure they are supportive, you don't want to buy shoes now and have to replace them in a few months. If they fit and support your feet the right way then go for it :)
  • lsunderl
    Options
    My jury is still out on this one. It depends what you believe. The theory is that the cushioning (foam heel etc) breaks down over time even without use.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The midsole does not break down over time. They do not expire from sitting around. The big difference is the quality of the shoe. There is a big difference in materials and construction between a $50 running shoe and a $100 running shoe. Take a pair of $50 running shoes and twist them in the middle, then do that with a $100 (non-minimalist) running shoe. The cheap shoe bends like a rubber band.

Do not skimp in running shoes. It is not worth it. Runners World web site has extensive information in what to look for and how to buy running shoes.
  • kkeys
    kkeys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - There are several shoes at Kohl's that are, say, regularly $80 or $90, on sale for $69.99 or even less. What people said about the shoe breaking down - that is what the salesman was telling me. If that is not an issue, and I check out how a shoe stacks up at Runners' World and in reviews online, and it fits with how I run, etc., then it should not be an issue where I buy that specific shoe? I won't buy a cheaply made shoe but I will buy a well-made shoe at a discount if it's possible and safe.
  • lsunderl
    Options
    The only way to find out is to try!

I personally live in Canada so our shoes are WAY overpriced compared to the US. Buy all my shoes while on holidays... so, technically on "sale".

Good luck!
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I try them on in the store and then find them online through ebates.com and get cash back while I'm buying them. Famous Footwear for instance gives 9% cash back through ebates. Plus online you can get coupon codes through retailmenot.com etc. As long as you aren't paying extra for shipping, it's a good deal.

I love my asics nimbus 11 running shoes. Super comfortable!!