eating first thing in the morning..

Options
ok.. This is from a book I am reading & its really changing the way I think.. so just want to share with you guys..here goes,

Eating First thing in the morning will lead to an:

1) Inc in blood sugar & energy levels, which will lead to
2) Increase in metabolic rate & fat burning and
3) Decrease Acidity, bloating and will
4) reduce chances of overeating later and
5) Stabilize blood sugar levels throughout the day WHICH MEANS
LESS CHANCES OF GETTING FAT

Anybody still sees reasons to not eat breakfast - solid food, not tea/coffee????

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    great post!

Within waking, I make a mug of hot green tea and eat a handful of macadamias.

Then I get myself and my daughter prepared for school/work and I eat something else when I get to work.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to read this because when I wake up in the morning I am STARVING! Like I have to have breakfast NOW when I wake up. But I would have breakfast even if I wasn't hungry because it really does make the rest of the day go by better foodwise.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you could back it up with a little more than "this book I'm reading", I'd take it more seriously.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ok.. This is from a book I am reading & its really changing the way I think.. so just want to share with you guys..here goes,

Anybody still sees reasons to not eat breakfast - solid food, not tea/coffee????

if you're not hungry at breakfast, no reason to eat it. there is no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    great post!

Within waking, I make a mug of hot green tea and eat a handful of macadamias.

Then I get myself and my daughter prepared for school/work and I eat something else when I get to work.

Caffeine is the worst thing that you can feed your body first thing in the morning.. its a stimulant which jolts you out of the slumber which we mistake as "being awake". it increases
    1) blood pressure
    2) heart rate
    3) makes the body feel "stressed" or "kicked"

stress -> biggest enemy of a good digestive system & fat burning process.. N

Straight from the mouth of a professional..m not making it up.. lol
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Doesn't sound like this "professional" has a clue what he or she is talking about.

I don't suppose any of these claims are supported by scientific evidence?
  • kittuk86
    Options

if you're not hungry at breakfast, no reason to eat it. there is no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency

I agree -" no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency"

point is - Our metabolic rate is at its peak when we wake up & declines as the day passes..some solid food is good after waking up.
    hell if i wake up at 6am.. even I cant eat.. but if I wake up at 8am.. m hungry beyond anything.. to each its own we do good to the body if we can manage to put one solid morsel in our stomach when we wake up..
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I'm not directing this comment at you since I know you are just sharing what you've read: Professional and Correct are two different statements. This book does not sound good, so far.
  • kittuk86
    Options
    If you could back it up with a little more than "this book I'm reading", I'd take it more seriously.

lol.. ofcourse,

Don't lose your mind, Lose your weight - Rujuta Diwekar - shes a sports science & nutrition expert!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

to each its own

^ Absolutely. If you want to eat shortly after waking, go for it!

we do good to the body if we can manage to put one solid morsel in our stomach when we wake up..

^ Not necessarily. Not to use anecdotal evidence, but I'm up at 6am and I don't typically eat until at least 2pm. I also eat about 1000-1500 cals before bed. I'm also leaner than I've ever been.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not at all suggesting that people should AVOID breakfast. I'm just saying that it's not important and you should let personal preference dictate when you eat.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Doesn't sound like this "professional" has a clue what he or she is talking about.

Well, she didn't say a professional nutritionist. It could be a professional lion tamer for all we know.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thank you...ve well said!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont eat when i wake up because im not hungry. i will sometimes grab a cup of coffee before my walk to take kidlet to school - but i dont usually eat anything until about 9am (two hours after i wake) and sometimes even later than that.
    ive tried eating within a half hour of waking and i just feel sick and stuffed. i think everyone needs to listen to their bodies and eat when theyre hungry instead of trying to fit into the nice little bubble where everyone eats at the same time because "they" say so
  • kittuk86
    Options

You can search online & let us all know. I'd be happy to know...
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ive always eaten breakfast, and im still a chunky butt! lol.
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i don't eat breakfast normally either because i don't feel hungry at all. lately i have been having a glass of chocolate almond milk in the morning on my way out though. I eat my larger meal for dinner because after dinner is the longest I go without eating.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is the worst thing that you can feed your body first thing in the morning.. its a stimulant which jolts you out of the slumber which we mistake as "being awake". it increases
    1) blood pressure
    2) heart rate
    3) makes the body feel "stressed" or "kicked"

stress -> biggest enemy of a good digestive system & fat burning process.. N

I would think that Drano or maybe a meth pipe would be the worst thing you can put in your mouth in the morning, but caffeine? I'm starting to doubt that the author of this book really has done any research. Any facts to back up that assertion, or does she just lay it out there and let it lie?

As far as breakfast goes, I woke up really hungry this morning, so I'm thinking I didn't feed myself well enough yesterday. So, more protein today: Peanut butter in my morning smoothie, and two chicken breasts instead of one at lunch. Hopefully, I won't be so hungry tomorrow morning.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

The burden of proof is on the individual making the claim.

You can search online & let us all know. I'd be happy to know...

I don't need to do any research for personal edification, I already know she's wrong.
  • kittuk86
    Options
    i dont eat when i wake up because im not hungry. i will sometimes grab a cup of coffee before my walk to take kidlet to school - but i dont usually eat anything until about 9am (two hours after i wake) and sometimes even later than that.
    ive tried eating within a half hour of waking and i just feel sick and stuffed. i think everyone needs to listen to their bodies and eat when theyre hungry instead of trying to fit into the nice little bubble where everyone eats at the same time because "they" say so

As i said, to each its own!! This post is also for all those who wake up hungry but ignore it & dont eat till a few hours,,
  • kittuk86
    Options
    well,, atleast in my case, the below points stand true..

4) reduce chances of overeating later