Logging work as exercise?? HELP ME PLEASE :o)

Options
When I have done a 12.5hour shift at work I never log any exercise although I have spent 11 hours on my feet and most of that walking about bending, stretching and tidying ect. Should I log some exercise or not? I only really sit down during my 30min break and maybe for very short intivals when speaking to somebody.

My job is very physical and active I work on Labour ward at my local hospital. As you can imagine maternity department is one of the busiest area's. i would really appreciate your feedback.

Thankyou so much :O)

Luan x

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Since work is part of your daily routine, you should rather change your activity level to active or very active. :)
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Since work is part of your daily routine, you should rather change your activity level to active or very active. :)

this
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    Options
    Yes sugar, you need to count some of that. I mean if you are walking non stop for 15/20 min at a time then stop then go again, i would log atleast 1 to 2 hours of walking 3mph minimum. I saw someone post one day for standing for 90 minutes, so really if its burning calories (which your job would) then I would count it.
  • theycallmeswampy
    Options
    I'd definately log it, I had my best figure during my student nurse years simply due to being on my feet all day. I worked out that on one 12.5 hour shift in ACU I walked about 5 miles! The joys of having a pedometer!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'd either log it, or change your activity level in your settings to active/very active
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I am also a nurse, but don't log it as exercise. As I see it, it's the activity that maintains my current weight and since I want to lose that means I need to do other activity.
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have the same situation as you pretty much. I really don't want to change my activity level to active or very active because on my days off I am no where near as active other then my scheduled exercise. So what I do is log 1.5-2 hours of walking. I know at minimum I walk about 5-6 miles according to some nursing blogs that are by nurses that wore a pedometer to work for 12 hour shifts. My intention is to get a pedometer and figure out how much ground I cover on average and start logging it as so. I hope this helps!
  • robinxhope
    Options
    I am also a nurse, but don't log it as exercise. As I see it, it's the activity that maintains my current weight and since I want to lose that means I need to do other activity.

My fear with doing this is that I am not eating back the calories my body needs for the energy. Which can lead to muscle wasting and feeling physically unwell. And it can be a SIGNIFICANT amount of extra calories burned on a 12 hour shift. I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to give my body the nutrients and calories it needs to be strong and healthy. And then supplement with further exercise outside of work and on my days off.
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options

My fear with doing this is that I am not eating back the calories my body needs for the energy. Which can lead to muscle wasting and feeling physically unwell. And it can be a SIGNIFICANT amount of extra calories burned on a 12 hour shift. I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to give my body the nutrients and calories it needs to be strong and healthy. And then supplement with further exercise outside of work and on my days off.

...that is the one thing I don't agree with MFP, I NEVER eat back my workout calorie. And I have had huge success!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Thankyou for your comments I have the same problem as on my days off I will work out for an hour or 2.

I wouldnt say I was really active on my days off. But on the days I work I am running round like a madwoman.
    i havent been logging it and I have been losing a really reasonable amount of weight. 24lbs in 7-8weeks. So I will just carry on doing what I am doing. I rarely eat any of my exercise cals unless I am doing something special. It seems to be working for me.

Thankyou very much for the replies it helps to get feedback.
  • robinxhope
    Options
    [/quote]
    <<...that is the one thing I don't agree with MFP, I NEVER eat back my workout calorie. And I have had huge success!>>
    [/quote]

I am happy you are achieving huge success. Continue to do what works best for you. "Success" It is a very personal thing with definitions that are unique to an individual. I feel very successful with my routine as well. I'm not as interested in rapid weight loss, although I have lost a reasonable amount. I am more interested in the long term lifestyle changes and physical and mental health and I trust and am seeing my body change for the better with a combination of nutrient dense foods, vitamins, exercise that doesn't damage my body, and portion control. And as far as the research I have done on nutrition and what I know about physiology and the energy requirements of the brain from my specialty training I'm very content with my routine and have also had huge success.