How often should a runner race?

Options
I used to run cross country back in high school and a buddy and me got to talking about the effects of running. I didn't run 5k's very often and had never run a 10k or half marathon and I was surprised to see how much it drains you. Here is his article:

http://www.examiner.com/running-in-salt-lake-city/how-often-should-a-runner-race

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    The standard amount of recovery time for a race is 1 day per mile of the race (aka 3 days for a 5K, 13 for a half marathon, etc.). From there, you get back into some decent running. When you factor in a "taper week" for longer races, this pretty much makes sense. Like the article said, I think it depends on if you're running a "race" to push yourself as fast as possible, or if you're running just to gauge your fitness. Either way, it's definitely a fun experience and worth doing!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Double post! Oops!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Good article, but he is speaking from his own experience. I would say everyone is different and should know their own limits. If we follow these rules, then Marathon Man would not have been able to run 50 marathons in 50 days( I know he is a superman, so not the best example). Know your limits and stick to it. I go by the rule that you should only race as much as you can afford...lol.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oh most defintely fun. I remember feeling so good and alive back when I was running, but then again I was only 225 pounds then rather than the 265 that I am right now. I can't wait to get back there again.