you CAN have candy after lifting weights

Options
the whole "what should I eat after working out" is a good question....

within 30 minutes after weight training (or sooner) your body needs fuel

we all know about whey protein shakes...good stuff.... I did not know we also need some quick releasing carbs (the bad carbs) and there are many articles about getting the right kind...supposedly gatorade has the wrong kind or at least not the best kind, and same with bananas, etc

from the article by SHeboss, I went on to look for sources of dextrose and maltodextrin....the sugar carbs that many fitness sites reccomend....guess what the first two ingredients in SweetTarts candy are? that's right...dextrose and maltodextrin...crush up a serving (8 pieces) and dump it in your protein shake...only adds an extra 50 calories...plus it gives that whey shake a nice candy sweetness..it's all good

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the whole "what should I eat after working out" is a good question....

within 30 minutes after weight training (or sooner) your body needs fuel

we all know about whey protein shakes...good stuff.... I did not know we also need some quick releasing carbs (the bad carbs) and there are many articles about getting the right kind...supposedly gatorade has the wrong kind or at least not the best kind, and same with bananas, etc

from the article by SHeboss, I went on to look for sources of dextrose and maltodextrin....the sugar carbs that many fitness sites reccomend....guess what the first two ingredients in SweetTarts candy are? that's right...dextrose and maltodextrin...crush up a serving (8 pieces) and dump it in your protein shake...only adds an extra 50 calories...plus it gives that whey shake a nice candy sweetness..it's all good
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    perfect!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I read the other day to eat it before you work out to give you energy
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be better to eat candy before the workout, so that the sugar is used up during the exercising?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    naw, no need to eat it before you work out. You have about an hour after to you work out hard to eat before you start really burning muscle.

While the candy might seem like a good idea, better to do something with some actual nutritional value. For instance, today after my Leg weight training, I had about 6 oz of grilled chicken breast, 2 servings of Pretzels (carbs), and a low sodium V8. Nutritious, and it meets the needs for protein and carbohydrates without loading up on Fats .

By the way, I have no issue with fats, and eat my share of good fats every day as they are vital for a healthy brain and skin as well as fat soluable nutriants, they just don't enter this discussion.
  • hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The only real reason to eat carbs before you work out is if you are diabetic. Working out releases insulin, and if you've taken insulin that day, your blood sugar could bottom out. So for diabetics, carbs before working out can be a very good thing. For the rest of us, though, it's unnecessary.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I read the book Nutrient Timing (by Ivy, I think?) and it talks about the release of insulin and how important it is after weight training to get in carbs AND protein. Although I wouldn't say eating candy is a good idea! :tongue: