anybody have a total gym?

Options
so i been working out every other day with the total gym? just wondering how do you guys log it? when i select the strength tab i just asks me what exercises i did what reps, and resistance?? but i won't show me how much calories i burned indeed im dripping with sweat, so i guess my question is when you lift weights do you not burn calories? i feel slighty idiotic asking this question but does it??

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I log my strength training under the "cardiovascular" section...search the exercise database and it's in there. :smile:
  • JJasMyself
    JJasMyself Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You do burn calories when you lift weights, but it's hard to get an accurate average for how many calories you burn because it varies greatly from person to person. If you want to get an accurate count for yourself I would suggest getting yourself a good heart rate monitor that displays calories burned while you do your workout.
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you dont have a HRM then go under cardiovascular and type in strength training, but Id add a HRM to your xmas list :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I use one for some exercises but I just wear an HRM during strength training and log that. It varies kinda wildly.

Also sweat is not a good way to estimate calories burned - breathlessness is a better way.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Buy a HRM! Use the HRM as your calories so you know exactly how much you burned. MFP has very inflated calorie counts. :grumble: :grumble: Believe me you will understand my comment once you get a HRM! :wink: Add your calories burned under Strength Training in the Cardiovascular section. This is how I do it and It is the most accurate way I know of.

MY SIGNATURE . . . .

YUP . . . . this will be on everyone of my posts. Providing I remember to add the darn thing. :laugh:

NOVEMBER CHALLENGE - Fight with Five for Thanksgiving (lose 5 pounds in November to fight the gain that might happen Thanksgiving week.)

Official SW - 1st day back in the gym! (12/02/10) - 380 lbs
    SW - 1st day on MFP (09/17/11 - 317 lbs
    1st Goal - Christmas Challenge 2011 - 290 lbs

GW - 150 lbs
  • mailoveschayzen
    Options
    Thanks guys I'm gonna look into HRM today