gym or no gym..that is the question

Options
2»

Replies

• strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Doesn't hurt to try, right? I'd join again for the lifting, but the gym does not work for my life. It's $40/month here and 25 minutes away, so unless I was going after work 2-3 days a week it would be out of the way.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the majority of people are saying: do it! The strength training will help you shed those last few stubborn pounds, and will prevent the awkward thin-flabby body some people get after weight loss. Also, it's fun. :)

I also think you should increase your calories a little, making sure to keep eating healthy.
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    WOW you guys have SUCH cheap memberships...they're $50-150/mo here...I go to the Y and the basic membership is $65
  • jofromnz
    jofromnz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the gym! I go three times a week and I love it. I do a combination of BodyCombat (kicking/punching) and Shabam (like Zumba). I find it excelllent for motivation and it is also where I do my weekly weigh in! It ends up costing me $5 per class as I pay about $16 per week. SO worth it!!!
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    do whatever keeps you motivated. The important thing is to keep going. Home, gym, outdoors, just go go go .
  • JasonWCNewcomb
    Options
    Proper weight training and increased caloric intake (spread out the meals multiple times per day) will increase you BMR and help you lose fat.

140 doesn't seem heavy though unless you're quite short.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing is to mix up your routine. I am doing 30DS after years of working out at the gym and I'm enjoying it and my body is screaming at me, so its a good workout. But its not a permanent routine its to do for a month, then do something else. People who keep going back to the gym doing the same thing year after year see no results and get discouraged. Just like seems you are falling into that trap, 30DS is good for starters but you can't keep doing it and expect results. You would definitely benefit from a good weight training programme - but only do it for 6 weeks then get a new programme!!!!
    do a zumba classs once a week, do a good swim of lapping once a week mix it all up and your body will be constantly challenged!
    keep doing workout dVDs but buy a new one there are other Gillian Michaels ones that look goo d too!
    Keep moving like poeple say but keep measuring results (body composition not just weighing) and if you are not getting results reevaluate what you are doing. I think its really important to focus and reevaluate continually.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym and I love it. I also pay about 30 bucks a month to use the facility and then 120 a month to see a personal trainer. I don't do classes or anything(I don't have any time) but they look to be good. We also have a pool and a hot tub... which I love a lot!