doing the splits

Options
I am curious and you can joke if you want, but is it possible for a 40 yr old that has never been able to do them her whole life. When I was a kid I tried but it hurt too much and I was scared now I wish I would've tried more. Opinions?

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you're flexible enough, then why not? I used to be able to do them when I was younger, but now, I can't go do it all the way and get back up. Haha.
  • JULIUSKITTY
    JULIUSKITTY Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes for sure!, I was in dance competed for years. All it takes is daily stretching every day. There is this one we did all the time. You lay on your back on floor- bum to wall- heels on the wall and legs open as far as they can go.. not forcing just setting were there confortable.. now stay in that position for 10 seconds then put legs staight rest.. 10 seconds again.. straight rest.. 10 seconds again.. every day 3 x's.. thats just one stretch we did... of course there are many many more..I just liked that the most because gravity helped and I could relax and it didnt hurt.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    yes! completely possible.

i could do them at 16-18 and not again until 33. LOL

it took a lot of freaking yoga, man! A LOT!
  • JULIUSKITTY
    JULIUSKITTY Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You can become' flexible from daily stretching..
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yes-yes-yes! I am 44 and SO close to getting my front splits! You have to warm up and stretch at least once per day, more is better. And hold each stretch for 30-60 seconds. I like to stretch after my workout since my muscles are already warm and then when relaxing after work. I usually stretch about 6x per week, but aim to do more.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yep! :) I have all 3 of mine thanks to dance and LOTS of stretching! Straddle, butterfly, and lunges are the best for me!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I mean, I'm only 18 and can do them, but you just have to condition yourself through stretching.
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    thanks everyone I will try it! I have always wanted to do them.