Heart rate monitor question???

Options
I purchased a heart rate monitor today and I had to go with one or the cheaper ones I could find (still $50). Reading the packaging it said that you don't have to wear something around your chest. I thought well that must be good....well I used it tonight for the first time and as your exercising you have to press the buttons on the left and right side every so often in order for it to take your heart rate. Now I am wondering how accurate it could possibly be considering it doesn't take a constant heart rate. I tried to check it every 5 minutes or so. I've never used one of these before (and now I guess I should have discussed it with one of the workers) so I'm just curious what other people are using and if what I purchased was worth $50. The one I got is called MIO DRIVE + PETITE.

My workout tonight was 45 minutes of Biggest Loser Bootcamp video and it said I burned 649 calories and I weigh 189. Seems high but I was dripping sweat!!! Any thoughts???

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Not accurate at all. I had one that didn't have a chest strap and it told me 2-3x as many as the one with a chest strap says.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    It's only accurate when your are pushing the buttons.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a gym and was talking to a few of the people that work there. I told them I was interested in getting a heart rate monitor and ALL of them told me to get one with the strap, otherwise it's just NOT accurate. I purchases the Polar FT40, I LOVE it!!!

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ewhitehurst1
    Options
    As a women where exactly does this strap go?
  • happyb3
    Options
    I've tried the hrm without the chest strap and I didn't find it very accurate so I just recently bought one with a chest strap and LOVE it, I think it's a lot more accurate but it is more expensive. I paid $129.99.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    As a women where exactly does this strap go?

Just below the breast/bra I have a polar Ft 7 love it so far just got it

Check out Heart monitors usa enter the word POLAR for a discount I heard
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin running watch with the strap and I love it. I'm not sure how accurate it would be at calculating other workouts though. Mine is geared towards running & cycling. I wore it lifting weights the other day because I was curious about my heart rate but it does not calculate calorie burn on that type of activity. I recommend the chest strap, it fits along your bra band and you really don't notice it's there.
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 ( will be 3 yrs old Mar 2012) and it has a chest strap. It was a little pricey...near $100, but I do really like it. Wear it for every workout.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar F6 (pink!) and love it. Has the chest strap.