Any good books?

Options
I was just wondering if anybody has come across some good reads that have helped you along this journey we are on? Not just on diet and exercise but just on change in general.l

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anybody has come across some good reads that have helped you along this journey we are on? Not just on diet and exercise but just on change in general.l

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    YOU: On a Diet

Don't let the title decieve you, it's not about a diet, it's about a lifestyle change. It's very interesting, it looks at all aspects of changing your eating and excercise habits. Hope this helps ! :flowerforyou:
  • wildkat318
    Options
    YOU: On a Diet

Don't let the title decieve you, it's not about a diet, it's about a lifestyle change. It's very interesting, it looks at all aspects of changing your eating and excercise habits. Hope this helps ! :flowerforyou:

Thank you, I'll check that out. I think I saw that at Costco so I can even get it at a bargain price! :bigsmile:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I second the "You: On a Diet" book - I'm reading it now and learning soooooo much! I think I got it a Walmart for about 14 bucks.... maybe :ohwell: ugh I can never remember that kind of stuff:grumble:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I liked "Secrets of a Former Fat Girl" by Lisa Delaney
  • wdrchll
    Options
    fit for life not fat for life
    i forgot the authors name but it is a great read and though i do not stick strenuously to the diet (for ex. he says fruit only! until noon everyday!) i do like the diet when i am able to stick to it other than that one rule the diet is pretty easy. up your fruit and veggies and minimize the bad stuff
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Adventures of Diet Girl right now (only while doing cardio!) and the minutes are flying by.
  • charlotteg
    Options
    I loved Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl, too. And absolutely LOVED it. Another funny one, not quite as motivational is Such A Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster.
  • wildkat318
    Options
    Thanks you guys, I'll look those up. Maybe I'll get them on tape so I can listen while on the treadmill! :bigsmile:
  • Coach2010
    Options
    I'm reading a book called, Mindset. While it's not about dieting, it addresses a lot of the make up of our thinking that stifles efforts and learnings. I'm getting ready to re-read it, as I'm probably the observed reference for this book :blushing:

Oh...and I do read when I'm on the Bike, and Elliptical. Treadmill...I can't do (knee problems :-(
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    wildkat - I did my first audio book when I started going back to the gym in November, (Twilight), just finished. Can't say if I'm gonna do another or stick to plain ol reading like I've done the last three sessions with a magazine and diet girl..............thinking of getting a Kindle if they ever become available again!:grumble:

Coach - on the tread mill, have problems keeping it stationary? I've only read magazines on the treadmill.
  • Coach2010
    Options
    Nice P29! You know...I can walk at a good pace and read, but, it's not quite the same. It's bad enough that I get odd looks when I'm between sets when working out...but I don't spend time looking around or at the mirror like my contemporaries. Then again, I'm trying to max out my time effectively, so why not read when lifting weights?

:happy:
  • wildkat318
    Options

I bought this at Costco last night and started reading it, she's hilarious. I'm only at the 2nd chapter but I'm hooked. Thanks for the tip! :flowerforyou:
  • wildkat318
    Options
    wildkat - I did my first audio book when I started going back to the gym in November, (Twilight), just finished. Can't say if I'm gonna do another or stick to plain ol reading like I've done the last three sessions with a magazine and diet girl..............thinking of getting a Kindle if they ever become available again!:grumble:

Coach - on the tread mill, have problems keeping it stationary? I've only read magazines on the treadmill.

I have been listening to Eat, Pray, Love but find sometimes it's hard to get motivated when listening to a book versus music.

I have a hard time reading while on the treadmill, my eyesight just ain't what it used to be. :grumble: I can read while warming up but once I get going there is no way because the reading material bounces all over the place and then I just end up getting sea sick. :sick: I can't put it on the holder because it's too far away. :ohwell: I usually just crank up the music! :drinker:
  • wildkat318
    Options
    I'm reading a book called, Mindset. While it's not about dieting, it addresses a lot of the make up of our thinking that stifles efforts and learnings. I'm getting ready to re-read it, as I'm probably the observed reference for this book :blushing:

Oh...and I do read when I'm on the Bike, and Elliptical. Treadmill...I can't do (knee problems :-(

That's the kind of help I need, I know what I need to do as far as eating and exercising. It's that dang mind of mine that keeps getting in my way! :bigsmile:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Another funny one, not quite as motivational is Such A Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster.

:love: AMAZING book! Caught myself laughing out loud while reading it.

I'm currently reading 'Eating Mindfully' by Susan Albers, psy.d.
  • Summarain
    Options
    I have a book! I'm not sure what type of reading you like. I found it quite interesting because I wasnt expecting weight loss help while I was reading it, but it was a delight to actually get some weight loss tips/encouragement while reading without even expecting it.

Anywayz, here is the book: "My Soul Cries Out" by Sheri L. Lewis

Reading the summary wouldnt tell you how the book helps with weight loss, but like i said, it was a pleasant surprise. I checked it out from the Library on Saturday and I only have like 20 more pages to go! Thats great considering I have 2 kids under 4yrs old and work full time and volunteer...lol.

Its a page turner.:smile:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options

I bought this at Costco last night and started reading it, she's hilarious. I'm only at the 2nd chapter but I'm hooked. Thanks for the tip! :flowerforyou:
    Yea - when I bought it, I had no clue I'd enjoy it so much! I started to read it and couldn't put it down!

She's got a website too if you're interested:

http://www.formerfatgirl.com/
  • wildkat318
    Options
    Another funny one, not quite as motivational is Such A Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster.

:love: AMAZING book! Caught myself laughing out loud while reading it.

I'm currently reading 'Eating Mindfully' by Susan Albers, psy.d.

I'm reading this right now and nearly peed my pants reading the ad she placed on Craigslist for their recumbent bike. :laugh: She's funny! All my coworkers (who don't have ANY weight issues) keep asking what I'm reading and some have asked if they can read it when I'm done. For some reason I'm not thinking it would be quite as hilarious for them! :bigsmile: