Bad ankle and c25k - bad combo?

Options
Howdy there, I'm just getting back on the healthy side of things and am starting at a gym on Monday and pondering doing .... well at least attempting c25k. However a couple months ago i did a real good number on my ankle and its still bothering me, and i'm worried that trying to do c25k will really stuff up my ankle. Am i being over cautious? Is there any really good exercises at the gym that will help strengthen my ankle?

Replies

• crimamy
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I injured my ankle last Saturday during my 11 mile run and now cannot train for my half marathon. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    i have bung ankles too, so i have to be very careful about what i do and when. I find that some yoga moves help strengthen ankles and stuff, or else talk to the staff at the gym to get their opinions.

As far as c25k, i'm doing it at the moment. Invest in a REALLY good quality ankle strap/brace. If you've spent any time seeing a physio or anyone like that for the ankle issues, i would seriously recommend going and asking their advice.

I find that i'm fine so long as i don't try and run too fast. 5mph (8kph) is the fastest i'll run, because i'm able to focus a lot more on posture and how my feet are landing and keeping my ankles in alignment.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

@Crimamy, PLEASE let your ankle heal properly before trying to train anymore! As much as it sucks, you've got to accept your body's limitations - missing out on one event so that your body can heal will suck, but it's better than never being able to run again because you went too hard too fast!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I've got a messed up heel/lower ankle. I'm really not sure what's going on with it, Doc couldn't give me an answer either. I do fine with C25K, as long as I don't exceed 25 minutes in running. Any more then that and it seems my heel just kills me (think walking on crushed glass pain), and I have to take a week on low impact only. I'd say go slow, stick to the program, and STOP if it hurts during your run, or if it's so bad you can't walk afterwards.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Get some support on it - a nice ankle brace or a well wrapped Ace bandage should be fine if it's not a serious injury - and give it a shot. Worst outcome is you can't do it. Best outcome you find it hurts less when you run (you'd be surprised).

Have you done much walking? I used to have to wear an ankle brace while walking until I finally strengthened it enough, and now I don't ever wear it, even for running.

Edit: and definitely see a doctor if you haven't already. Some PT could really help if you can!
  • crazywren
    Options
    I did see a doctor and at first they thought i had broken my ankle but after xrays it turns out i had torn ligaments. I have been doing walks and the exercises the hospital gave me to do. I will have to invest in a good ankle brace I think as it still feels pretty weak, and I will have to hit up a PT I think too. I think I am being over cautious, as it is the same ankle i tore the ligaments on about 10 years ago, and for it to happen again makes me nervous, but I really want to give the c25k ago, just to prove to myself that I can be a runner (even a slow one lol).
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If it's still bothering you, try doing stretching and strengthening. I sprained my ankle pretty bad, but with VICIOUS rehab, I was back running in 2 weeks. Lots of both got me back on track quick! Torn ligaments don't heal like muscles so be very careful!
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    before I began c25k I didn't break my foot long before(2 mo. prior) but it was pretty much healed. I was concerned so I made sure I had really good shoes and I also did yoga/pilates in between days. The balancing exercises can do wonders! I still have a weaker side on me, but it is improving. Try doing things like tree pose(stand on 1 foot and slowly gain strength lifting other foot up to just other ankle for a while and holding, then go higher on leg) Use a wall or something for support at first. Also lunges can challenge the 2 sides of your body (my experience anyway). Try doing things that work just 1 side of the body but do it on both-if that makes sense. You want to have equal strength. Don't try running too much at once either. you can do more damage than good- maybe use a treadmill for the cushioning? Hope these ideas help somehow:)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on whether you can run on it without it affecting your gait. I'm referring back to the book I just read, "Running Doc's Guide to Healthy Running", which is a great reference for runners. The author is the medical director for the Rock and Roll marathons around the country, so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

Anyhow, his advice for either immediately after an ankle injury or for coming back from one is that you can run on it as soon as you can do so without changing your form. If you have to change your stride to compensate, stop, because it's easy to injure other parts if you're not running with your usual form.

If you're really interested, it's worth checking out at your local library. It's a great (and up-to-date) reference on how to run without injury, and how to deal with injuries when/if they happen.