Having a tough go of it

Options
Hey guys, that one cheat day has turned into a cheat week. Food has been plentiful. Hasnt been healthy. Moral is low. Exercise is down. Feeling in a funk. Need some motivation here. Whatever you can give, I will appreciate.

Replies

• runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Don't get stuck on the cheat day or week or whatever. Focus on each moment being a new opportunity and a new choice to make. I think we fail when we focus on our struggles because then we feel bad about ourselves and loose confidence. Don't let the bad decisions define you. You can do it, tomorrow is a new day!

11575603.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    don't be upset, just look to the next day as a new day and a new rainbow of life...
  • Bumblebee635531
    Bumblebee635531 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    O.K so a cheat day became a cheat week, that just shows how easy it is to get side-tracked. Be determined not to let it become a cheat month.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes regarding this whole weight loss thing:

"You're right. It is easier to eat pizza than to run on the treadmill. It's easier to turn to ice cream rather than people for supporters. It's easier so say 'f@#k it, I give up' than to say 'f@#K this, I can do it.' So you know what? I'm not going to sit here and tell you day after day you can do this. If you don't believe you can, then you can't. That's the honest truth. You need to do this for you. And if you don't want it enough, then you sure as hell won't achieve it. So take the easy way out and remain unhealthy and continue to gain weight because you can't realize you are the only one hurting yourself. I didn't say it would be easy. I said it would be worth it."

It's harsh, but it was such a reality to me. You are the only one holding you back...why? Just do what you know you need to do and don't do the stuff you know you shouldn't. You want to see results? They start when you do! Don't let one bad meal or one bad day keep you down. Excuses are what got us where we are today, and dropping those excuses is the only way to get us to where we want to be.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    When I get in that place, it helps me to do one of a number of things. Perhaps one of them will help you. Pick up a fitness magazine. There are lots of good ones for men. Men's Fitness for example. You can also do a quick ten minute workout --- lifting weights or using strength bands. Crank up your favorite music. That should get you motivated again. Start small where you're at. Look at a photo of yourself when you looked like you want to look again. Or, look at a photo of another guy who looks great and use that to motivate you.

If all else fails, look at the ones you love and start back on the track so you'll be there for them for a long time and so you'll be a good example for them --- someone they'll be proud of (I'm sure they're proud of you now.)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Get up right now and do whatever exercise first comes to mind. Work it at least 5 minutes. Feel like you can go longer? Drink a big glass of water and tell yourself, "I'm back on track. Cheating is over and I CAN DO THIS!"

You can do this.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I would map out my meals for tomorrow, maybe even go so far as to fill out

the diary in advance tomorrow morning, then stick to it. Try doing this with a

one-day-at-a-time attitude so that you stay focused in the now:wink: I have

customized my diary to include a "before workout" food section so that when I

log in to my diary in the morning, there it is! A great little no-nonsense motivator:bigsmile:

Next, join one of the challenges here for sure, I am sending you the link for the "lose 5 pounds a month"

challenge and hope to see you there:glasses: it is super inspiring to read about small victories

and ideas and see how much fun people are having in the group:happy: YAY!

So, come on over, it is never too late to join, we do it EVERY MONTH:happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/378682-lose-5-pounds-a-month-november-2011-challenge

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Do you have a list of reasons why you want to lose weight? Review that list. Then remember you are human and one week isn't going to have that much of an impact on your goal. The glorious thing about MFP is that everyday you start with new numbers! I haven't been doing this for very long and I haven't hit any serious snags this time around but I have before so I know what it feels like. "I've screwed up this much already so why bother?" You have to remind yourself why you want to bother. I have been finding that I do better when I exercise early in the day. When I do I can eat more and then I don't feel as hungry and then I am less likely to eat more than I should or things that are really unhealthy. This is all just what works for me and you have to find what works for you. You are not alone in this struggle. You can do this.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hey now, don't let it get you down. I've been there... it sucks... But you can always make better choices starting right now. And tomorrow. And the next day. And the next. For me, when I have days like that, I get myself back on track by realizing that just because I messed up, doesn't mean I need to keep on messing up.

You can always change your mind and do what's right for yourself when BELIEVE in yourself :) We believe in you, hope you do, too :)
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    I know how tough it is! As much as I love working out, sometimes the hardest part for me is just getting out the door! When I start falling into that "funk" and having low morale, I just put my sneakers on and go to the gym. I don't give myself time to talk myself out of it, I just go.

If after 15 minutes I'm still not feeling it, I tell myself I'll go home. I've never had that problem, however, because after 15 minutes, my body is pumping those endorphins and I'm into it. Maybe give that shot?
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Get up right now and do whatever exercise first comes to mind. Work it at least 5 minutes. Feel like you can go longer? Drink a big glass of water and tell yourself, "I'm back on track. Cheating is over and I CAN DO THIS!"

You can do this.

Well said. Except I would say set the timer for 20 minutes, and then extend it by another 10.

Are you feeling lousy, because you have been eating unhealthy food today? Have an apple, or some celery.

Is everything else under control? The fridge/pantry stocked with healthy food? No, then stock up.

Plan for tomorrow now. Work out what you're going to eat for breakfast. Will you go to the gym? Is your gym bag packed? Are you going for a walk? Where are your walking shoes? What will you have for lunch?

Right, now make sure you get to bed at a decent hour.

Tomorrow's another day - the start of the rest of your life. Make the most of it.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This I like how this is writin and it is absolutely the truth!
    One of my favorite quotes regarding this whole weight loss thing:

"You're right. It is easier to eat pizza than to run on the treadmill. It's easier to turn to ice cream rather than people for supporters. It's easier so say 'f@#k it, I give up' than to say 'f@#K this, I can do it.' So you know what? I'm not going to sit here and tell you day after day you can do this. If you don't believe you can, then you can't. That's the honest truth. You need to do this for you. And if you don't want it enough, then you sure as hell won't achieve it. So take the easy way out and remain unhealthy and continue to gain weight because you can't realize you are the only one hurting yourself. I didn't say it would be easy. I said it would be worth it."

It's harsh, but it was such a reality to me. You are the only one holding you back...why? Just do what you know you need to do and don't do the stuff you know you shouldn't. You want to see results? They start when you do! Don't let one bad meal or one bad day keep you down. Excuses are what got us where we are today, and dropping those excuses is the only way to get us to where we want to be.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i dare ya to work out for the next 30 min....come on i double dare ya!!!!!!!!!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Cheat week how about a cheat 8 Months! Why I ended up here! So don't despair what you have done is 'undoable' so get back tomorrow one meal at a time!
  • mandag9008
    mandag9008 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    you can do it! i always say cant never could and wont never will, YOU CAN AND YOU WILL!
  • Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I already have my gear ready for the gym tomorrow and will head there after work. plan on spending a couple hours to work off some of these feelings. kudos to you all. this is why I love my MFP family.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    And look at your ticker! You're already half way to your goal!! Why give up now?!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think cheat days often lead to cheat weeks that lead to... well, completely falling off the wagon. That being said, giving up now would throw away all you've already accomplished. Why give up? Brush yourself off and jump back on. It's easy to fall off and go back to your old ways. Don't do it. You'll regret it.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I already have my gear ready for the gym tomorrow and will head there after work. plan on spending a couple hours to work off some of these feelings. kudos to you all. this is why I love my MFP family.
    I am holding you to this ... and would appreciate it if you would please confirm that you made it to the gym?
  • Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I did go. :) Here is what I posted last night on the boards.

"I feel like I am back on point. I've spent the past 2 hrs at the gym running/lifting weights and soon to be rock climbing. My diet has been good too so this is a great start. Thank you MFP family for bringing me up when I need it. Love you guys!"