Trying to stay Motivated

Options
hi there everyone, im trying to lose weight for my health, being 21 and having COPD and sever asthma and stress on my heart being over weight isnt helping. though i am having trouble staying motivated, im wondering what others use to keep themselves going? also having a lot of trouble with meals, im a single mom and really want to be alive to watch my daughter grow up, but i am very limited on the exercising i can do because of my lung conditions, i have already had half of my left lung removed due to it collapsing twice and almost killing me. does anyone know of any good calorie burn/toning exercises that help lose weight but are not too hard on the lungs? I was not brought up in a healthy eating environment so any tips on eating and exercising is greatly appreciated

Replies

• Bumblebee635531
    Bumblebee635531 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! Check if there is a "T-zone" near you. It is for whole body vibration and it really helps with circulation and muscle toning without stressing your lungs. I thought it was just a gimmick at first but it has been approved by Health Canada for many medical conditions. I have been using it for a couple of months and it has gotten rid of my sciatic pain and reduced my migraines.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What about good ol' walking.
    I personally DVR shows that I only let myself watch when I am on the stationary bike or treadmill in my basement.
    Find people that can help keep you accountable to the exercise--like minded friends who have similar goals.

Good luck! it's definitely a process.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i use to do T-Zone acutely and i loved it! i found i didn't lose weight but i lost inches on it, i am hoping to start back up in january, i found it lots of fun too
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    In general, try to cut out processed foods and artificial chemicals as much as you can or are comfortable with. Don't grab the low fat version of foods if you can avoid it, since they're almost always loaded with artificial sweeteners or added sugar. Try to make healthy recipes - there are lots of very simple, healthy recipes available free online. With regard to working out, just keep moving. Walking at a slow pace for longer periods of time or light weight lifting should do the trick until when or if you're able to do more. Every little bit helps!

With regard to motivation, it's challenging at time. My main motivation is just to fit back into my large selection of pants that don't fit. But, it's also to keep my blood sugars in better control (I'm diabetic) and to lessen the stress on my joints (I have spondyloarthropathy, a form of arthritis). So, when I'm struggling, I try to visualize how I'll look and feel if I can just keep going and lose the weight.

Hope this helps... Best of luck to you in your journey!
  • AngelaWeber
    AngelaWeber Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you've been through alot. Glad you decided to take a step towards a healthier you! Is your food diary open? I didn't check. But simple tips is to start off slowly. If you're used to eating non-healthy it may be hard for you just to go cold turkey LOL. So maybe eliminate fried foods or only have it once a week. Instead of 3 slices of pizza eat two. Incorporate more fruits and veggies in your meals. Drink LOTS of water (I'm really bad with this). Log EVERYTHING! There will be days when you are over calories and that's normal, nobody is perfect. As far as motivation, seems like your child is motivation. Think about leaving your child all alone if you passed away from one of your ailments. I'm sure that is the last thing you want to happen so when you feel like quitting or giving up, think about your child :-)

Feel free to add me for support....CHEERS TO A HEALTHIER YOU!!!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    play this site like a game, by challenging your self to stay with in your allowances and exercise enough to get your net calories. try to make it fun by seeing how far you can get your tracker to move and by talking to these lovely ppl, they r very very smart, resourceful and friendly!!