Ate Yummy Trail Mix... Now Feeling Bad

Options
So I just finished have a few handfuls of this great trail mix that's sold at my job. It's so yummy! It has peanuts, raisins, walnuts, almonds, dried kiwi, dried apple, dried banana, dried pineapple, dried papaya, dried strawberry, and dried peaches. I thought that I could just snack on this to sort of stave off my cravings to dig in my daughters Halloween candy, but I think I over did it. You know how sometimes when you think that just because you're snacking on something that's "good for you" that it's okay to have more? I'm just feeling like I ate too much. My daughter says that I did good compared to before when I would scarf down the whole bag in a matter of minutes. I had no more than 3 or 4 handfuls and the handfuls weren't really that big because the dried pieces of fruit are a pretty decent size themselves. But why am I feeling like I just ate a whole damn cake or 20 fun sized snickers bars?

Replies

• Kell44
    Kell44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    just because its healthful doesn't mean its low calorie. Trail mix has lots of calories. don't beat yourself up, tomorrow is a new day.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    definitely great that you are aware of what you are doing now. as your daughter said you used to eat the whole thing. be proud of where you are now and it was healthier than 20 snack size snickers! learn from it and move on and if it is a problem, dont bring it home anymore! thats what I have to do. it works
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    All that dried fruit is sugar. Plus, they add sugar to dried fruit. That's where you get the "I just ate candy" sensation.

Sometimes things seem like they are healthy or have that reputation, but in reality they aren't all that awesome for us. But trail mix can be pretty tasty!

My only "advice" would be to up the protein and healthy fats in the trailmix and lower the amount of fruits in it. Like a good mix of almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and maybe some unsweetened dried cherries. Yums!
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    you said you feel full right after only a few handfuls as compared to the whole bag before right? That's a good thing! It is a physical sign to you that you that you are losing weight. You get fuller quicker. I lost 20 lbs last year and after I lost weight I went to a buffet with my family. I lost control and ate whatever i wanted instead of staying healthy. well, i could only eat about a plateful before I was stuffed to the gill. before i would have been able to eat two or three plates. It is a great sign that your stomach is shrinking!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    you said you feel full right after only a few handfuls as compared to the whole bag before right? That's a good thing! It is a physical sign to you that you that you are losing weight. You get fuller quicker. I lost 20 lbs last year and after I lost weight I went to a buffet with my family. I lost control and ate whatever i wanted instead of staying healthy. well, i could only eat about a plateful before I was stuffed to the gill. before i would have been able to eat two or three plates. It is a great sign that your stomach is shrinking!

That is definitely a good sign! You both are paying attention to what your body has to say! :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking your water, the dried stuff is going to rehydrate and make you feel more full. Your tummy is probably shrinking and doesn't comfortably hold what it used to hold. :-) That's a good thing! Learn from your experience. Your body is talking to you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm just feeling like I ate too much.

I think you're doing well in that you're coming to the realization that you may have overconsumed calories. Don't feel guilty about it and don't do anything to overcompensate. Just move on and resume your plan without any guilt.

Good luck!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You just ate a TON of sugar!! Dried fruit is LOADED with sugars (Google it) and like 22step said, if you're drinking water (which you should be) you're re-hydrating all that dried stuff and therefore it's "bigger" once it sits in your belly for a little bit and you're eating far more of it than you think you are. Imagine a hand full of 30 raisins and then a bowl full of 30 grapes.