A Question for All!

Options
So, I have found that any time I try and eat right and exercise, I get gassy and bloated more often. Is this something that anyone else experiences? I used to think it was because I was consuming more fiber, but I really have no idea. Does anyone know why this is? And is there anything I can do to prevent it, other than taking GasX or something of the like? Any help would be great.

*Kistinbee*

Replies

• kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    So, I have found that any time I try and eat right and exercise, I get gassy and bloated more often. Is this something that anyone else experiences? I used to think it was because I was consuming more fiber, but I really have no idea. Does anyone know why this is? And is there anything I can do to prevent it, other than taking GasX or something of the like? Any help would be great.

*Kistinbee*
  • brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Someone may be able to answer this better than me. If you have just started your new regime, say within the last two weeks or so, your body is sort of detoxifying. If your body is not used to the exercise, meaning that you haven't exercised in a LONG time then your metabolism is learning to work again. Many times gassyness happens due to what you are consuming, how regular or irregular you are, too much air getting in your system (this can be from improper breathing while exercising or drinking carbonated beverages or eating certain foods following exercise) or possibly even gall bladder issues. There can be many reasons it's happening, but the good news is that usually it goes away within a couple weeks. I would suggest that if it goes on longer than that you may want to consult a physician to discuss the type of program you are following and what you are eating and just make sure things are on the up and up. Maybe more info would help us help you to figure it out.

Good luck!
  • blessedmamma
    Options
    Would you mind my asking what you consider "eating right"? Would would an average day look right when you eat right? How many days per week do you eat right? Are the others just junk days, or quasi-"right"?

DJ
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    When you are over weight your body hold all SORTS of icky stuff inside it. plaques and artery hardening goop that sticks to the lining of your intestin. When you start eating right, which normally means that you increase fiber and other stuff that washes the bad stuff out of your system.
    Hince gas. So when you eat healthy you are cleaning out a toxic dump. The more gas, the more toxic nastyness you are loseing. We should be HAPPY, but it is uncomfortable and embarrising :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: SO, Beno is advised.
    It WILL start to slow down as the toxics leave your body.
    --Diann...
  • brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh and remember, certain vegetables can cause gas too. So even though you may be eating right you might want to trade carrots for cauliflower or mix things up some...
  • kistinbee
    Options
    blessedmamma: A typical day for me (foodwise) includes the following:
    6:30am-oatmeal and diet cranberry juice
    8:00am-2 cups coffee with sugar free creamer
    10:00am-granola bar and a banana
    12:00pm-1/2c cottage cheese, 1 stick celery with PB, 2 sesame crackers, sugarfree yogurt
    2:00pm-grapes or some other fruit and a rice cake, pretzel sticks, or almonds
    5:00pm-dinner (chicken, fish, or turkey with some kind of veggies...broccoli, salad, grean beans)
    6:00 or 6:30pm-workout
    8:30pm-whey protein in 1 cup skim milk
    This is typically what I eat every day...including weekends. It's 1200-1300 calories. My workouts are the following:
    Mon-1.5-2 hours cardio
    Tues-1 hour weights, 1 hour yoga
    Wed-1.5-2 hours cardio
    Thurs-1 hour Step, 1 hour weights
    Fri-1.5-2 hours cardio
    Sat-1 hour Spinning, 1 hour weights
    Sun-Cleaning the house and laundry, sometimes 1 hour cardio
    So, there it is. I think I will just see if it continues or stops within a couple weeks. Thanks for the hep everyone!

*Kistinbee*
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    you have to do it consistently so your body can adjust. Anytime fiber is increased you are going to get gassy, but that is a good sign that everything is starting to work right.

if you are getting bloated and your tummy hurts try eatting yogurt at least once per day, the acidopholis in yogurt helps settle your stomach.
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Yeah...I do eat yogurt everyday. I LOVE IT!

*Kistinbee*

Thanks!!
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Like my dad said a gassy person is a happy person lol just let it out.lol
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Thanks bigjug!!:laugh:

*Kistinbee*
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your body will adjust to the healthy food- it just takes time (and patience)!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of gas too, when I was healthy and when I wasn't. I don't mind. It feels good to let it out :wink:
  • JAMINJESS
    Options
    MAYBE YOU ARE EATING TO FAST IF THATS THE CASE TRY SLOWING IT DOWN BECAUSE WHEN YOU EAT FAST YOU ARE SWALLOWING LOTS OF AIR AS WELL..LOL
  • lhansen
    lhansen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try reading the book, "The Gas We Pass", the story of farts and this should clear up a lot of questions for everyone. There's also a very helpful, scientific song that goes something like this: "Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot, the better you feel, so let's have beans for every meal!" You can substitute your favorite high-fiber item in there to change it up a little (i.e. "Red delicious apples, red delicious apples, the magical fruit...."). You get the picture. Hate to tell you this but farting does NOT release "toxins" out of your body. Only your kidneys and liver detoxify the body.