Veteran's Day 5k NSV!

Options
SabrinaJL
SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
One of the things that finally got me off my *kitten* and trying to get in shape was that I wanted to do the MWR Bay Bridge run/walk. I knew I'd have to start working out to even walk the 4 miles. I started doing c25k in March and the run was in May. During those 2 months, I did nothing but complain about how much I hated running and how miserable it was.

During the MWR event, I saw a guy in his 20s walking it with 2 prosthetic legs. This guy lost BOTH his legs and he was still out there giving it his all. I almost started crying right there. I felt so ashamed of myself for squandering my health and the two perfectly good legs that I'm lucky to have. I told myself, "Whenever you don't want to work out or want to whine because it's hard, remember what you just saw." And I do. I think about him all the time. So when I got an email that there was going to be a Veteran's Day 5k that benefited the Wounded Warrior Project, I knew I had to sign up for it as my way of saying thanks to this awesome man.

My goal was to do it in under 45 minutes. The fastest I'd done 5k before was a little over 39 minutes and that was on the treadmill. The few times I've run outside, it's been much harder for me. Today, I actually finished it in 34:13. I was really quite pleased with myself. :happy:

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I love to see people doing things they "shouldn't be able" to do!! Your story, as well as you inspire me!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ted!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love your story! Fantastic time on the latest 5K, and way to pay it forward after being inspired by the young guy with the prosthetic legs. I've only done one 5K so far, and it wasn't a timed race (just running from zombies), but I know this story will probably pop into my head the next time I'm whining about a hard run. :)
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Love this! What an inspiring story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!