yet another exercise calorie opinion

Options
so I was losing about 2lbs a week with no exercise added exercise and weight hasbeen up and down even though inches are slowly coming off. The pasr few days I have been upping to eat back some of my exercise calories hoping that will help me shed more consistantly. Feel free to look at my diary and offer advice to help. Just recently got a hrm which says Im burning way more calories than mfp says and theres no way I can add that many calories and lose 2lbs a week ... Is not possible in my body.

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    so I was losing about 2lbs a week with no exercise added exercise and weight hasbeen up and down even though inches are slowly coming off. The pasr few days I have been upping to eat back some of my exercise calories hoping that will help me shed more consistantly. Feel free to look at my diary and offer advice to help. Just recently got a hrm which says Im burning way more calories than mfp says and theres no way I can add that many calories and lose 2lbs a week ... Is not possible in my body.

it is completely possible to eat and lose weight.
    as long as you have a defecit, you can lose weight eating all the calories in the world.
    starving and losing weight are two completely different things.

edited to add: just eat up your exercise calories from your hrm, you will lose! promise!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eating your exercise calories should not affect your weight loss. You will still have the same calorie deficit that your body has been used to without the exercise. If you do not eat your exercise calories you calorie deficit will be too large and it's likely that your body will not be able to sustain the amount of fat loss you are hoping for.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Join my group page; "No Bull****; Just Honest, Real Answers there's a good chance that you are gaining some muscle mass which is why you see the weight fluctuation coincide with the loss of inches. In essence you're killing two birds with one stone because you are losing fat while gaining muscle. Which is absolutely fabulous!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    you really can eat that much and lose - on my heavy exercise days i can eat over 2000 calories. i still kind of struggle with it being all "healthy" food - but im still losing. if its basically the same work outs you do every day, try prelogging it and spreading those calories out throughout your day.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    you really can eat that much and lose - on my heavy exercise days i can eat over 2000 calories. i still kind of struggle with it being all "healthy" food - but im still losing. if its basically the same work outs you do every day, try prelogging it and spreading those calories out throughout your day.

There's no such thing as healthy/unhealthy foods just healthy/unhealthy diets ;) remember that!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Join my group page; "No Bull****; Just Honest, Real Answers there's a good chance that you are gaining some muscle mass which is why you see the weight fluctuation coincide with the loss of inches. In essence you're killing two birds with one stone because you are losing fat while gaining muscle. Which is absolutely fabulous!

You can't build a noticeable amount of new muscle tissue while eating at a calorie deficit.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

it is very unlikely that she is putting on muscle, please dont give misinformed advice.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    another problem is everything seems to have a ton of sodium as I dont want water weight fluctuating the scale so much Im trying stay under the sodium amount and just at 1600 calories Im often over it already ugh
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why cashews for breakfast? just curious :) not having a go.... I think you could add in some "better" options for breakfast and some healthier snacks and bulk up your main meals more.... I'd be saving cashews and almonds for "snack attack hour" in the afternoon.
    Yes a calorie is a calorie but different people need to eat different types of calories sometimes in order to loose weight... Maybe change a few thing your eating and not so much the number of calories....

does that help?
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    another problem is everything seems to have a ton of sodium as I dont want water weight fluctuating the scale so much Im trying stay under the sodium amount and just at 1600 calories Im often over it already ugh
    ive been having problems with sodium too - but i just try to limit prepackaged deli meats and cheeses ( and boy do i love cheese!) and really read the labels on stuff i buy. adams peanut butter is great and only has 50mg of sodium per serving.
  • christianadivine
    christianadivine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM when I exercise too and I honestly felt that the calories burnt I was being given on my watch was too high and kind of unrealistic. I've been using this online calculator and inputting my average heart rate and workout time from my watch into it. It gives a lower number, but I feel it's more realistic. Maybe you're eating above your calories cause your HRM is overestimating how many calories you're burning from exercise?

Here's the link to the online calories burned calculator I use: http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
  • cppeace
    Options
    lol I actually had grapes and cashew for breakfast my phone just doesnt work that great with the sites food diary and grapes are saved under snacks. I work a night shift and have completely changed my diet in the last few days from a vegetarian diet to more light meat balanced. Ad I added back in bread so simply worried will start gaining again as my veg diet was helping me lose consistatly and now everywhere in pounds
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    do you enter your vo2 max on there? because ive entered a couple of different workouts ive done recently, and that site gives me at least double the calories burned than my HRM said.
    Edit: i actually read down further where it says to enter 35 if you dont know your vo2 max >.> but im still getting higher numbers from the site
  • christianadivine
    Options
    I do enter VO2 max, but I enter 30 because it says to enter that as default if you're a female and if you don't know your VO2 max. It gives me a lower number than my HRM. I do Insanity and the calories burned i get from my HRM is about 600-700 per workout, when I use that calculator I get about half that (around 300 cals burnt). I have no idea why you're getting a higher number from that calculator though. :P
  • christianadivine
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I enter 30 VO2 max because after researching VO2 max I found out that females have a lower VO2 max than males and that the average VO2 max for a female is about 30. That's why I use 30, instead of the 35 they say to use on the site.
  • cppeace
    Options
    well my hrm doesnt display calories burned but does give me my time and average heartbeat throughout the workout. S I simply did the math with the formula I found on livestrong.com to come up with my calories burned.
  • christianadivine
    Options
    I'm curious. If you input the data into that calculator I linked, do you get a higher or lower calories burned total than the formula you use gives?
  • cppeace
    Options
    ok finally got there this formula put me waaaay under what the other did and even half as much as mfp. Im gonna do the math again from livestrong.com and see if I missed a step of something cause like 800 calorie difference
  • cppeace
    Options
    no matter how many times I do the math I get the same over 1000 calorie burn... Dont know who is right... Confused :(