What frustrates you about the health care industry?

Options
13»

Replies

• hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options

...My husband was put on Nexium, the insurance said it was too costly even though it got my husbands stomach healed right away. Then they make him shoot the hoops with several generics to see if they work, and they did not and not after his stomach getting worse they finally let him go back on Nexium.

They want him to take Omeprazole because 40mg of Omeprazole contains 20mg of Esomeprazole, which is the isolated active ingredient of Nexium.
    So logically there is no medical reason the Generic should not have worked.
    Just Saying!
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello. I thought this thread was deleted, but I just found it again. Thank you all for your replies! FYI I did this survey for a business project for naturopathic medical school and graduated in 2014 from NCNM. I am now a licensed naturopathic physician in Oregon, USA, a doula, and finishing training for naturopathic midwifery. Soon, I plan on getting licensed in Washington state as well as doing distance care in other areas where it is legal for me to do so.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The healthcare industry
    Sometimes they give me sick-no-care
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That health care is a for profit venture.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada so the system is much different, but I'm sure a common complaint is that it seems that doctors are more interested is pushing medications than finding a long term solution.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    So many patients should be on end-of-life care but their families keep them as full codes. Horrible drain on resources, billions of dollars wasted each year on people with practically zero chance of recovery and a non-existent quality of life. Don't agree, idgaf. Work/volunteer in a nursing home for a while, then work/volunteer in a hospice and you will likely change your mind if you don't agree with me.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    Options
    The beauracracy and unnecessary management posts, also, the cost of locum/agency staff because of the lack of the decent pay for full time experienced staff. Also the abuse of A&E services for non emergencies.
    I'll stop now.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sunkisses wrote: »
    That insurance companies can decide against my doctor's professional opinion whether I need certain tests and procedures, and which drugs I need to treat my ailments.

Isnt that because they are paying? meh didnt see 2011. Nice bump.
  • WebFootFreak
    WebFootFreak Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    During a shortage of nurses, the ACA mandates that any non-full time personnel working more than 30 hours are to be given healthcare. Sounds good on the surface, yes? However, this affects nurses working PRN (as needed). Thanks to the wording of the ACA there is 1) No opt-out available. In other words, you work that much you get it. It doesn't matter if you already have insurance through another source. And 2) If even a single employee breaks that 30 hour limit that has been imposed, then then employer is fined for ALL less than full time employees on the books.

Gotta love it.