MUST Watch Food/Health Documentaries

Options

Replies

• cejubitz
    cejubitz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the little video "23 1/2 hours" on Youtube. It is not long, and is an illustrated lecture on the benefits of only 30 minutes of daily exercise. I think everyone should watch it!!
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    The real dirt about farmer john is a good one
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You only MUST watch them if you're that concerned about the food you eat. I've seen two of them: Supersize me and Fathead. After watching those food documentaries, I thought about how my life would change if I went clean and "natural". Conclusion: I'd hate not enjoying eating what I like to eat. So they aren't MUST watch documentaries.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Every time I watch one of those I say I'm going to change my diet.. .and it turns out... I make a horrible vegan... so I stop.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm studying to take the RD (Registered Dietitian) exam in a month or so...and I've found that everything I've seen so far is factual and true. Sure, they promote a (mosty vegan) plant based diet, because open your eyes people, that's what is the healthiest!

Sure it's common sense a lot of the time, but well, if all of us followed common sense we wouldn't be fat...

Good luck on your exam, I know they can be stressful.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the little video "23 1/2 hours" on Youtube. It is not long, and is an illustrated lecture on the benefits of only 30 minutes of daily exercise. I think everyone should watch it!!

Thanks, I will!!
    I've seen many of the films on this thread, but can't bring myself to watch "Our Daily Bread." I was so horrified and disgusted with the animal abuse I saw in "Food Inc" that I don't think I could take the much heavier dose of it in "Our Daily Bread." I hear it documents the worst of the worst.

I enjoy reading books about the food industry, especially the ones by Michael Pollan. His "The Omnivore's Dilemma" kids version is especially good. An easy, informative read for adults who don't want to feel like they are back in school again. "Animal Vegetable Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver is also very good. I couldn't put it down - it was like reading a really great novel.
  • Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    King corn i thought was pretty good

King Corn is awesome... it not only shows how corn itself is the #1 contributing factor in our society now becoming fat... it also shows the Corporate Greed and how they go after Farmers.... on top of that the chemicals they are now using in the generated corn seeds to make the corn and soy virtually undestructable to insects... yet we are eating it... and how these chemically engineered seeds are part of the ecoli breakouts in other plants like broccoli and lettuce.

King Corn and Fat Head...
    Fat Head I thought at first was just gonna be a stupid comedic documentary... but amazingly it just points out the flaws used in Super Size me and seriously the guy eats Fast Food for a month and LOSES WEIGHT..... YEA I SAID IT.... LOST WEIGHT... CAUSE HE ATE SALADS AND MADE SMART CHOICES AT THE FAST FOOD RESTARAUNTS.... AND DIDN'T GET SUPER SIZES... HE USED COMMON SENSE AND MADE SMART CHOICES... LIKE WE ALL HAVE THE POWER TO DO... BUT NOT THE WILL!!!!
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    just finished watching http://www.hungryforchange.tv/part_1 and it was very good. it is free online until the end of this month. it is from the food matters people
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Just watched it! Thanks, I needed that.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I recoomend these in this order:

Forks Over Knives - excellent and extensive since based Documentry that is also inspirational.
    Fat Sick & Nearly Dead : for inspiration on what is possible if you put your mind to it and change your eating lifestyle forever.
    Food Matters -more informative, although a little guilting but eye opening
    Hungry for Change

I refuse to see Food, inc. it's too much reality and I don't want to be guilted into vegan ism. The above 4 films allowed me to choose veganism thru a whole foods plant based diet. 3 months and still going strong!!!
  • teegz0485
    teegz0485 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I liked food matters. I've read books by andrew saul, david wolfe and charlotte gerson and agree with most of what they teach about superfoods, healing, supplements, etc.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I watched the documentary "Fresh" last night on Netflix. Makes me wish I could be an organic farmer when I grow up!

Next on my watch list is Forks over Knives.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I am sure it's been mentioned, but "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" is worth a watch.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm studying to take the RD (Registered Dietitian) exam in a month or so...and I've found that everything I've seen so far is factual and true. Sure, they promote a (mosty vegan) plant based diet, because open your eyes people, that's what is the healthiest!

Sure it's common sense a lot of the time, but well, if all of us followed common sense we wouldn't be fat...

I don't really agree that a mostly vegan, plant-based diet is the absolute healthiest for everyone. I find that my body doesn't function well if I cut so many things out and follow that type of diet.

I agree. I attempted to do a vegetarian diet and felt horrible. I don't think it's for everybody. I wasn't eating a lot of meat until recently, and since I've started incorporating it more into my diet, my blood pressure has gone down, my liver is no longer fatty, and my cholesterol is great according to my doctor. I do think everybody reacts differently to different diets though. I react horribly to a lot of carbs while some people love them....

I've seen Fat Head, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, Supersize Me, and Forks Over Knives.

The only one I would say isn't totally biased is Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, but I haven't seen it in a while.
    Fat Head promotes a low carb diet in a sense, but that was my favorite one because it was hilarious and does have a lot of good information in it.
    Supersize me was meh. I didn't really enjoy it. I knew if I ate big meals at McDonalds three times a day for a month I'd have a problem.
    Forks Over Knives I personally took as very biased as they were pushing a vegan lifestyle, though there is good information in it.

Personally I think if you cut the junk out of your diet and don't overdo your eating, you're going to lose weight no matter how you look at it... Just might be slower or faster than others.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I don't really agree that a mostly vegan, plant-based diet is the absolute healthiest for everyone. I find that my body doesn't function well if I cut so many things out and follow that type of diet.

I agree. I attempted to do a vegetarian diet and felt horrible. I don't think it's for everybody. I wasn't eating a lot of meat until recently, and since I've started incorporating it more into my diet, my blood pressure has gone down, my liver is no longer fatty, and my cholesterol is great according to my doctor. I do think everybody reacts differently to different diets though. I react horribly to a lot of carbs while some people love them....

I've seen Fat Head, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, Supersize Me, and Forks Over Knives.

The only one I would say isn't totally biased is Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, but I haven't seen it in a while.
    Fat Head promotes a low carb diet in a sense, but that was my favorite one because it was hilarious and does have a lot of good information in it.
    Supersize me was meh. I didn't really enjoy it. I knew if I ate big meals at McDonalds three times a day for a month I'd have a problem.
    Forks Over Knives I personally took as very biased as they were pushing a vegan lifestyle, though there is good information in it.

Personally I think if you cut the junk out of your diet and don't overdo your eating, you're going to lose weight no matter how you look at it... Just might be slower or faster than others.

I disagree that FOK is biased. If anything it is the most factual science based documentry. They are simply giving you the facts that a vegan lifestyle will eliminate disease including heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. and reverse and self heal your body. They are not saying it's the only way to lose weight, but it is a very effective way.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I disagree that FOK is biased. If anything it is the most factual science based documentry. They are simply giving you the facts that a vegan lifestyle will eliminate disease including heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. and reverse and self heal your body. They are not saying it's the only way to lose weight, but it is a very effective way.

I said I PERSONALLY took it as biased. It's fine if you disagree with me.

I also do not view a vegan lifestyle as a "diet" or a way to lose weight. I see it as a respectable choice that people make. I also realize that FOK was not promoting it as a weight loss system. Like I said, you can lose weight on ANY of those "programs" if you cut the junk out of your diet.

For fun, you should read this, though:
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

I'm not saying that's the concrete evidence against anything, but it is interesting to see the evidence that the woman who wrote this pulls out.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Food that goes BUMP in the night...