You have probably gained muscle

Options
I have read this on this forum ever since I joined.:

"I have been working out like crazy but I have not lost any weight. This is because I have been putting on muscle."

Is this actually possible? Can you add to your muscle mass so that it exactly equals your fat loss?

Don't you need a calorie bonus and a big old weights program to add muscle mass?

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    It is almost impossible to gain muscle in a calorie deficit.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the science behind it, all I know is what is happening to me.
    I run 4 or 5 times a week, I run stairs 1 time a week, I lift weights 4 or 5 times a week and I eat healthy and am usually under my calorie limit each day. I haven't lost a pound in over 2 months but I have dropped 4 pant sizes, my arms actually have muscle in them now and my legs are almost rock solid as apposed to being jiggly in April.
    So, I would have to say, yes you can be gaining muscle, I am living proof.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Cheers.

So, Dan, you can build muscle on a deficit if you are seriously overweight? These folks are the only folks that might remain the same weight whilst burning fat?
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Momma, you sound like like the muscle-gained archetype.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    If you're working out as hard as you say you are...your body is retaining water, attached to your glycogen stores. This can cause you to maintain weight for a bit. The thing about this is it usually levels out over a period of time, unless you're constantly increasing the intensity of your workout. This also really only pertains to strength training in my experience, as cardio isn't a workout designed to stress your muscles (unless you're badly out of shape)...thus the name 'cardio'. Gaining muscle on a calorie deficit IS possible for very overweight people, as their bodies have large stores of fat to delve into...but it's a minimal amount, and certainly not enough to counter the fat/weight loss that should be occuring with heavy workouts.

I know that doesn't really help...but the only answer is to keep working out (STRENGTH TRAINING!!), and the fat will literally start melting off. You may (I lost nearly 40lbs in 3mos) not lose weight as quickly as you might on a heavy cardio regimen, but the weight you lose will be STRICTLY fat. On a cardio regimen, you lose muscle, and fat...thus the sometimes dramatic weight loss (muscle is more dense, and thus weighs more than fat...causing large drops on the scale). To me, this defeats the purpose.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The debate continues. It is almost impossible to gain overall muscle mass that equals your weight loss from working at a calorie deficit. You may gain targeted muscle gain from working specific muscle groups (arms, chest, abs), but your body will sacrifice both fat, and muscle from other areas of your body. It just doesn't have the calories needed to maintain the total muscle mass. I am near my goal weight, and plan to get 5 to 10 pounds under goal, and begin to eat at a surplus, lower the cardio, and increase the weight training. Hopefully adding back the muscle that I have lost since eating at a deficit. The one thing that I have noticed is that after heavy weight training the scale goes up a pound or two. I attribute this to the muscles retaining water, not lean muscle gain. Weight training has been a vital part of my quest, and as the fat dissappears I can see, and feel the benefits of lifting weights, even though I have lost muscle mass. Had I not lifted during this time, I would be thin and soft. It's all about balance.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Cheers, cris.

You lead me to another question...
  • roeh
    roeh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am so glad this is happening to someone else. I have been stuck at the same weight for the past 2 months. But my watch moves around my wrist super easy which it did not before. My abdominal area is getting smaller, my biceps are beginning to appear, I am also developing a horseshoe in my triceps, and I love the top of my thighs as they are nicely developing. I have maintained to 45-60 minutes of cardio, but have definitely been increasing the poundage with strength training. I have been going back and forth with the same 3 pounds for the past few weeks and became so frustrated. I have thought about adding Zumba and Hip Hop Abs to my workout every other night to increase my cardio and see if I can break whatever it is.

Really glad you asked the question
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    G'day, roeh. I am a complete novice at this sort of stuff so feel free to delete my posts as quickly as you like.

You seem to be doing a shedload of exercise and good on you for that. From what I have learned from this website it is the changes you make in your diet that really burn the fat.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    The debate continues. It is almost impossible to gain overall muscle mass that equals your weight loss from working at a calorie deficit. You may gain targeted muscle gain from working specific muscle groups (arms, chest, abs), but your body will sacrifice both fat, and muscle from other areas of your body. It just doesn't have the calories needed to maintain the total muscle mass. I am near my goal weight, and plan to get 5 to 10 pounds under goal, and begin to eat at a surplus, lower the cardio, and increase the weight training. Hopefully adding back the muscle that I have lost since eating at a deficit. The one thing that I have noticed is that after heavy weight training the scale goes up a pound or two. I attribute this to the muscles retaining water, not lean muscle gain. Weight training has been a vital part of my quest, and as the fat dissappears I can see, and feel the benefits of lifting weights, even though I have lost muscle mass. Had I not lifted during this time, I would be thin and soft. It's all about balance.

cruiseking, strength training with heavy (relative to your fitness level) weight, convinces your body that you require your lean muscle mass in order to perform the work being asked of you. It preserves your lean mass via producing major amounts of growth hormone...which tells your body 'Ohhhh hell!! BURN FAT NOT MUSCLE!!!'. From my reading, this IS work specific...meaning if you're not working your entire body...your metabolism may sacrifice various muscles for the good of the ones being worked the most. However if you're on a full body regimen, you shouldn't lose any measurable amount of lean mass. Virtually ALL weight loss will come from fat. This has been proven, via studies...and is 100% accurate in my own experience as well. High intensity interval type cardio will do the same thing, and when coupled with strength training...is a two pronged attack directed specifically at a bodies fat stores. Standard, traditional, steady state cardio has no place in this kind of plan...unless you are looking for the true cardiovascular benefits of that kind of workout.

Read this:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Emergencytennis, what question did that lead you to?
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    A kind of wind up question about why bother with cardio. I dont know how to post the link, sorry.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    A kind of wind up question about why bother with cardio. I dont know how to post the link, sorry.

The only real reason to bother with cardio is heart and lung endurance/health....and don't get me wrong, these are both good reasons. In my reading and experience though, it's irrelevant at minimum, and most likely counter productive for fat loss (KEY WORD: 'fat'...not 'weight').

For myself...I will not run, unless something bigger, and much, much meaner than I am is chasing me lol. My cardio (again...necessary for cardiovascular health) comes in the format of intervals, at extreme intensity...usually on my heavy bag, BUT...I have done, and would be willing to do things like sprints again. This kind of cardio promotes growth hormone production, thus helping to promote lean muscle mass retention. Hours of steady state cardio convinces your body that lean muscle mass isn't necessary for the kind of work it's being asked to do, and in fact...makes it harder.

Hope that helps.