Replies

• kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    eleminate around 267 cups of sugar per year from your diet
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    And....it really isn't as hard as it sounds. I just have to make sure I always have really cold water available at all times and I have gotten to the point where soda does not even taste that great. I used to drink 4 or 5 cans of Pepsi a day and have given up all pop. I haven't had a soda in almost a month!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    And....it really isn't as hard as it sounds. I just have to make sure I always have really cold water available at all times and I have gotten to the point where soda does not even taste that great. I used to drink 4 or 5 cans of Pepsi a day and have given up all pop. I haven't had a soda in almost a month!

kudos! I can't do it, i'm a diet caffeine free coke addict, I try to limit it to two cans a day, but it's a tough one! I like my water ice cold as well.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

kudos! I can't do it, i'm a diet caffeine free coke addict, I try to limit it to two cans a day, but it's a tough one! I like my water ice cold as well.

Have you tried flavored waters before?
  • newby99
    Options
    I gave myself a goal of not drinking soda for the month of January. My wife and I had a date night and it had been an extra good day, so I decided to treat myself and cheat. I drank a Pepsi and...it wasn't very enjoyable. No where near when I eat a piece of cake, or have a bowl of ice cream. I will sometimes make a homemade italian soda, but otherwise it seems as though I have lost my taste for soda!
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have given up pop/soda for a little while now and stick to flavored water. I just add a packet from Wyler's or Crystal Light and I'm good to go. I get my water and it doesn't make me gag. I have also given up fast food and most of my sweets. I love desserts and that is my major downfall.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to give it up to save calories. So far i'm limiting myself. Occasionally i'll have like a bottle of soda one day... but mostly i am having iced tea, water, and the occasional skim milk latte. Haha :D
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with diet drinks (soda) but decided I wouldn't drink them............had one on Wednesday last week at Chilis (where I ordered the carne asada from the guiltless menu) and it was nice...............I don't seem to miss it (no caffeine issue with me I guess) so it was nice to have them but not so important anymore....
  • vegrunner
    Options
    I really think its an addiction to sugar, when I gave up soda I craved sweets like never before. Besides the benefits of weight loss, I feel much more balanced through the day and my girlfriend will testify that I'm much less cranky!
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a goal of not drinking soda for the month of January. My wife and I had a date night and it had been an extra good day, so I decided to treat myself and cheat. I drank a Pepsi and...it wasn't very enjoyable. No where near when I eat a piece of cake, or have a bowl of ice cream. I will sometimes make a homemade italian soda, but otherwise it seems as though I have lost my taste for soda!

How do you make homemade italian soda??? My boss is Italian - I think he would appreciate that. :happy:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    The best part about not drinking Soda is the the full nights sleep you get after you get over the shakes...:tongue:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    This article was emailed me:::::::: :drinker:

The Truth About Diet Soda
    We talk a lot about ''watching what we eat,'' but if you never gave a thought to what you ate and instead watched only what you drank, you could probably cut 450 calories a day out of your life. (Yes, nearly a pound of fat loss a week!) That's what a study from the University of North Carolina found. Americans today drink about 192 gallons of liquid a year—or about 2 liters a day. To put it into perspective, this is nearly twice as many calories as we did 30 years ago.

When confronted with the growing tide of calories from sweetened beverages, the first response is, “Why not just drink diet soda?” Well, for a few reasons:

Just because diet soda is low in calories doesn't mean it can't lead to weight gain.

It may have only 5 or fewer calories per serving, but emerging research suggests that consuming sugary-tasting beverages--even if they're artificially sweetened--may lead to a high preference for sweetness overall. That means sweeter (and more caloric) cereal, bread, dessert--everything.

Guzzling these drinks all day long forces out the healthy beverages you need.

Diet soda is 100 percent nutrition-free, and again, it's just as important to actively drink the good stuff as it is to avoid that bad stuff. So one diet soda a day is fine, but if you're downing five or six cans, that means you're limiting your intake of healthful beverages, particularly water and tea.

There remain some concerns over aspartame, the low-calorie chemical used to give diet sodas their flavor.

Aspartame is 180 times sweeter than sugar, and some animal research has linked consumption of high amounts of the sweetener to brain tumors and lymphoma in rodents. The FDA maintains that the sweetener is safe, but reported side effects include dizziness, headaches, diarrhea, memory loss, and mood changes. Bottom line: Diet soda does you no good, and it might just be doing you wrong.

The best way to hydrate is by drinking low-calorie, high-nutrient fluids—and avoiding belt-busting beverages like the 20 Unhealthiest Drinks in America.

Now that you have a hold on your liquid assets, upgrade the rest of your grocery list by avoiding the 13 Worst "Healthy" Foods in the Supermarket. With so many items to choose from, it's easier to fall victim to packaged food lies than you think.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Have you tried flavored waters before?

I recently cut out diet soda and flavored waters from my diet.
    I only drank my morning coffee and water.
    I kid you not, I did this for a week and started to lose energy and started to get depressed. :laugh: (Yes, I can laugh at that fact.) I added a soda back in my diet, a diet caffeine free soda with dinner and my attitude and energy levels perked back up.

Moral of the story: that mess is addictive. Keep this in mind while you are giving it up. They say it takes 21 days to form a habit, so 3 weeks without a soda and you can be "cured"! :laugh:

PS- I will be undergoing an aspartame detox, as I call it, later this year. Since I'm prone to depression and SAD, I need to wait until sunny, warm summer to give up my vice. :smile:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    :happy: It can save your teeth. I think someone mentioned this on another post, but my kids dentist was like don't let them drink soda, Mtn Dew is worse than coke he said. My kids never have been allowed to drink soda but with how my son's teeth were it looked like it. The dentist asked if he had a fever when he was about 6 mons, he did, he said that that's when the enamel developes on infant teeth, and a high fever can interfer with this, well that's why he has bad baby teeth, permanent ones are just fine, but just a little info for those of you with kids
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you have a WINCO grocery store, they seller really good flavored water for VERY inexpensive...with zero calories/carbs. It's like $6.00 for a 24 pack. My favorites are the lemon and orange flavors...and my kids love them!!! They gravitate to them, instead of bugging me for soda...(which they aren't allowed to have, except on weekends, only one a day at that...soda is just plain ole BAD for your body)! I rarely drink it anymore....except with maybe a little Bacardi floater!!! :laugh: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    The best part about not drinking Soda is the the full nights sleep you get after you get over the shakes...:tongue:
    :huh: :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Thanks for passing the article onto the rest of us urbinachick24:flowerforyou: I appreciate it, I am not a pop person but when hanging out with certain friends I could down them one after another. I have no clue why, it used to be the way I drank water at first, like a water addiction? I don't know that there is such thing, but I used to drink one bottle of water, and have another in my hand to open before the other was fully empied...

So now this would have made me a chain water drinker? I think it has to do with what happens to me when I 'do caffeine':noway: :tongue: Really I'm serious...it's like I get drunk on the stuff, always and only diet Mountain Dew is what I would grab when I'm having my car worked on and hanging out with the mechanics chatting. I'd find 1/2 full cans and be onto the next one and come back to the other....

uh oh...the secrets revealed of FC!:blushing: :laugh:

I think I am HIGHLY sensitive to caffeine, I mean even a drink and I'm stumbling...very strange, I'm T-2 so it may have everything to do with that and me drinking fake sugars...I try to stay away from them typically as they make my heart race and it feels like I'm on speed. Ah the wonders of chemicals we know so little about.:noway:

Needless to say I don't keep them in my house ...just my water:bigsmile:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Great thread btw:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    AWESOME thread can we keep this one going?

I think we need to get America off of pop/ soda depending on which half of the country you're in.
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to drink several diet sodas a day and atleast one regular soda everyday. Since I started my journey on Jan 6. I have all but cut them out. I do find on occasion if I'm feeling hungry after I've already eaten plenty, one diet soda will curb my appetite.

I'm now down to one diet soda about every other day. :tongue: