Personality Changes

Options
Has anyone noticed as they lose the pounds, that their personality changes, too? Oh, I know the confidence level goes up, the sexy comes back but often other mental changes occur, too? I wasn't unhappy with my prior weight. I figured I was a Grandma & looked like a Grandma. I've lost 32 # since May and now I have an attitude that I never had before. (and not a good one) Can we fall into the stereotypical trap that fat people are jolly and thin people mean? Or is this the real personality and the other one was hidden under layers of fat? Something to ponder for Saturday morning.

Replies

• xxcatyxx555
    Options
    i've noticed the same thing, maybe its self hatred for what we were and maybe we get a little mad at people who are large and dont fight like we did to lose it. unfortunately in our society being thin makes you 'better" than bigger people. just a thought
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Nah..I know plenty of mean fat people. I know plenty of nice thin people. Maybe since you're busy with getting healthy, you realized you don't have time to deal with people's crap and don't mind letting them know about it. :laugh:
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The only personality changes I have experienced with weight loss have been in reaction to how other people treat me. I tend to get a little pissy at how much nicer other people (mainly men) are to me when I am thinner so I can be a little hostile/rude. But family & everyone who knows me says I am pretty much the same.

Also until you stop losing weight you are pretty much always hungry. Sure you get used to it, but your body isn't - proof of this is the fact that you are still losing weight. Sometimes being hungry can make you grumpy...
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    there are mean fat ppl and nice skinny ppl
  • dswood
    dswood Posts: 12
    Options
    Are you eating too little each day? I remember trying to stay under 1200 calories a day (which is starvation mode for someone of my size), and I was really cranky. Also, I think it helps if you don't deprive yourself. Obviously, you are doing something right if you have lost 32 pounds! Congratulations, and good work. :)
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Here's a theory.... I think that sometimes when we are fat, we put other people ahead of us (which is seen as "nice") and then as we decide to get healthier, we start taking back time for ourselves (working out, etc), deciding what WE want to eat and when, and basically we are getting better at defining our boundaries (which can feel "mean" because maybe we aren't used to speaking up for ourselves as much). So in other words we have more "bite" - more "back off - this is my life" type of attitude. Maybe at first a person can go a little overboard before one gets used to it. It's funny how when I was bigger, I wanted to be invisible, take up no one's space, and as I become smaller, I'm more like, "Hey I have a right to take up a certain amount of space too, so here I am, deal with it."

Whaddya think?
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I get a little moody sometimes, but I am usually frustrated about how clothing fits or that I haven't gotten down a healthy eating pattern yet. I am sure I will have to reign in my ego at some point, but I hope, by then,. I will also feel better about myself than I do now.

Other than that, I have gained a greater appreciation for the heaviest people I know. I think being on MFP helps a lot with that, too. I see them more on the inside now, I think. I also was able to get up the courage to ask my heaviest friend to take a look at MFP and to lose her weight. That was not easy to do, but I love my friend and want what's best for her.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Here's a theory.... I think that sometimes when we are fat, we put other people ahead of us (which is seen as "nice") and then as we decide to get healthier, we start taking back time for ourselves (working out, etc), deciding what WE want to eat and when, and basically we are getting better at defining our boundaries (which can feel "mean" because maybe we aren't used to speaking up for ourselves as much). So in other words we have more "bite" - more "back off - this is my life" type of attitude. Maybe at first a person can go a little overboard before one gets used to it. It's funny how when I was bigger, I wanted to be invisible, take up no one's space, and as I become smaller, I'm more like, "Hey I have a right to take up a certain amount of space too, so here I am, deal with it."

Whaddya think?
    I think you're right about this. After making it through a month of Insanity, I felt mentally sooo much tougher and confident, and it may be that feeling is translating into how we are dealing with others, too.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Whaddya think?

I agree with much of what you are saying. When we are more in control of ourselves, we feel good about ourselves. When we are not in control, we may look for someone to provide that control for us.
  • misscmm
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Such great answers. I think you are right - there are mean people of all sizes. I do feel cranky and unhappy that I've wasted so much of my life over my weight. (Even though I always thought I looked great ... just bigger.) I should be happy now that I've lost sizes and almost to my goal. However, I find myself alienating almost everyone (and none cared about my size.) What is worse - I WANT to alienate them. I want to be mean. I want to just say whatever comes into my head and feelings be damned. It's an interesting state of mind right now. Perhaps I'm waiting to sabotage myself ... "food ya know ... know one loves me like you do." It is definitely a journey - even for a 60 year old. Thanks again for giving me more to think about!!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Generally, I turn into a ****...