Drinking water with meal

So I heard that you shouldn't drink water with your meal but either 30 mins before or 30 mins after because the water dilutes the acids in your stomach that help digest your food therefore making it harder to lose weight. Has anybody else heard this? Or agree with it?

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    I don't know about the acids, but have heard 30 before helps fill you up so you don't eat so much and I know that works.
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    I haven't heard that, but if I know if I drink water consistently throughout the day (including during meals) it helps em to not eat so much. We often mistake our body us that we're thirsty for hunger.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    I googled this once... turns out it's a myth. Drink all the water you want with meals.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    I don't drink with my meals because of the digestive process, but if I get hungry in the middle of the day I will drink extra water to help fill me up :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Even if it did dilute your stomach acid, how would that interfere with weight loss?
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    I don't drink with my meals because of the digestive process, but if I get hungry in the middle of the day I will drink extra water to help fill me up :)
  • tofraljos
    tofraljos Posts: 3 Member
    I was at Detox hotel for 2 weeks and there was recomand that we did not drink 30 min before and after meal, I have done that since and for me I like it and I eat less, then when I was drinking with the meal. They say the ensim that you have in the mouth that start the didegstion dont work if you drink with your meal. I don´t know if this make any sense to you.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Some people do have inadequate production of stomach acids, in which case this makes sense, but for people who aren't experiencing digestive issues, water during the meal isn't a problem. Most of us use water to some degree to cleanse the palate during a meal, bringing better enjoyment of the flavors. Other things (rice, bread, sorbet) will do the same thing, but they don't have zero calories like water does.

I'll take mine with a lemon wedge please.
  • I was at Detox hotel for 2 weeks and there was recomand that we did not drink 30 min before and after meal, I have done that since and for me I like it and I eat less, then when I was drinking with the meal. They say the ensim that you have in the mouth that start the didegstion dont work if you drink with your meal. I don´t know if this make any sense to you.

wait, repeat? i couldn't get past the misspellings and sentence structure
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    I was at Detox hotel for 2 weeks and there was recomand that we did not drink 30 min before and after meal, I have done that since and for me I like it and I eat less, then when I was drinking with the meal. They say the ensim that you have in the mouth that start the didegstion dont work if you drink with your meal. I don´t know if this make any sense to you.

I bet being paralyzed since 2006 is quite a challenge to weight loss! I love that you're here and I understand what you say perfectly.

Incidentally you're right about food digestion being triggered by an enzyme in the saliva too!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member

I bet being paralyzed since 2006 is quite a challenge to weight loss! I love that you're here and I understand what you say perfectly.

Incidentally you're right about food digestion being triggered by an enzyme in the saliva too!

All my life my father said that we shouldn't drink anything with our meals accept milk. I think the enzyme theory sounds reasonable.. Maybe he thought milk would se digested like a food instead of diluting your stomach acids like a water? Thanks for posting.

By the way, my father has been amazingly thin all his life. Makes ya wonder. Thanks for posting, original poster and artemisacorn. :wink:
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    From the little I gleaned from biology and chemistry this year - water acts as either an acid or a base - if either strong acid or base is introduce to water (or vice versa) the water will dissociate and become acid or base. So I don't think theres any risk of diluting the acid in your stomach as HCl is a strong acid.