How do I make hummus from scratch?

Options
TrishJimenez
TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
I saw on a previous post that it is cheaper to buy dried chickpeas and make your own hummus. But I dont know how. Any good recipes? I LOVE hummus but when money is tight it is a luxury that I dont indulge in. Would love to make my own

Replies

• rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Soak boil chick peas until soft (like you would any bean), drain them
    Mash chickpeas with lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper and oil or tahini(sesame paste)
    I dont have amounts because it is all a matter of taste/texture preference
    Mash with a potato masher, or a blender
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Skip the soak boil part and buy tinned chick peas. Not sure about the cheaper angle in this case.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Skip the soak boil part and buy tinned chick peas. Not sure about the cheaper angle in this case.

I'd also skip the dried chickpeas- a can goes for about $1.25, and is well worth the convenience! You can also pick up tahini from middle eastern/ethnic food stores for much, much less than in the supermarket or health food store.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I tried this the other day and it came out disgusting. Like, really disgusting. I blended chick peas in a magic bullet, with some lemon juice, garlic, paprika, etc. My brother will eat anything, and even he passed on this one.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I tried this the other day and it came out disgusting. Like, really disgusting. I blended chick peas in a magic bullet, with some lemon juice, garlic, paprika, etc. My brother will eat anything, and even he passed on this one.

What was wrong with it?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Garam Masala Hummus - http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com/2011/05/garam-masala-hummus.html

You can substitute any spice (or just leave it out) for a different type of hummus.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I quite like this reduced fat recipe http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2774/reduced+fat+hummus

I never bother with tahini, I just use a tablespoon of sesame oil. I love it - much bigger serves than the one I get in the supermarket for about half the cals!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    So I totally read this as "How do I make humans from scratch?" :laugh:

To add something actually helpful, I'd suggest canned chickpeas. They're usually pretty soft already. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have a Stop and Shop in your area, you can buy a can of them for 63 cents :)
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options

What was wrong with it?

It just tasted horrible.
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options

Use parsley, cilantro, and little food coloring and you could totally make Soylent Green hummus. :laugh: :laugh:
  • eodell1
    Options
    Elsham left out the tahini.

Cooked garbanzos (canned are fine)
    tahini sauce
    lemon juice
    garlic (mashed)
    salt
    cayenne pepper (optional)
    paprika (on top for appearance)

I don't have the exact recipe... since I make it to taste, but it takes about 2 heaping tablespoons of tahini to one can of garbanzos and most of the juice of 1 lemon. Crush some garlic in there and add salt and cayenne.

Another good option is to 86 the garbanzos all together, you can add peeled raw zucchini instead and make it up in the food processor. To get the flavor to come out like hummus, just add a couple dashes of cumin powder.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try the zucchini version. Sounds interesting!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Use parsley, cilantro, and little food coloring and you could totally make Soylent Green hummus. :laugh: :laugh:

love this!!

basically the only tip i would add is it can be helpful to boil even the tinned (canned) chickpeas as it makes it a lot easier to mash if you do it by hand (I do).

If you're having trouble with consistency, add water as you go. a tablespoon or two can make a huge difference.

i always add spices of all sorts - tumeric, cumin, pepper, etc. hummus is great for experimenting. do