went over calories

Options
Last night was my first dinner out to eat and I went way over my calories alloted for the day. I am really upset with myself that I did this. Has anyone ever did this same thing????

Replies

• Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every time I go out for dinner! But I try and limit eating out to special occasions and eat less during the day before I go out.

In the grand scheme of things, eating over your allowance for one day is not going to make a massive difference to your overall goals. Just log it and move on! You can always eat a little bit under (maybe 100 cals) for the rest of the week to balance it out a bit.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Of course! Just remember you can't have a lifestyle change without enjoying yourself as well. It's just one day, tomorrow is a new day. :)
  • LoveLifeToday
    Options
    Doesn't matter! :) Your body will forgive you, so make sure you forgive yourself too! xx
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with splurging every once in a while; a single day won't ruin anything. In fact I would encourage you to splurge every few weeks because you gotta let loose every once in a while and allow yourself to have fun.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It happens so just get back on track and stay focused =)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    So far all the responses are right on. You must live and enjoy life, not just constantly restrict yourself. Be sensible a few days before and after (if you know you are going out) and it will all balance out. Sometimes you need to kick start your system and a day off now and then helps. Just log it and keep on going. PS: I am going out and will be way over today - my BFF's birthday. ;-)
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Take it as a lesson learned and move on. Doesn't help to dwell in the past. Don't beat yourself up about it.
    After all, tomorrow is another day, as Miss Scarlet said
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I go over my points at least three times a week. Just put it behind you and be posotive!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    relax, only 1 day, even skinny people overeat you know, just how we deal with it

:smile:
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did this not to long ago and I was really upset with myself. I have learned from the experience, so now when I eat out I plan ahead. I look up restaurant nutrition before going and plan my meal. That way when I get to the restaurant I'm not tempted by all the other food available or I can add to my workout for the day if needed.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If you are worried about your calorie intake when going out, get a box right off the bat, and box up 1/2 of the meal. That way you get to go out, enjoy yourself, and not worry too much about over indulgence. If you are still worried about it, you can work out extra hard the next day. But I wouldn't worry that much about it.
  • cndbear
    cndbear Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My mom and I go onto the mobile MFP site. We look up different options and mak choices from there. its hard when you eat out because of extra sauces, oils they use among other questionable hidden calories.

Don't beat yourself up at going over, Just keep track and move on :)

4906272.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Calm down! You went out, and hopefully had a really lovely evening with friends/family/whatever. This is a journey not a race! If I felt like I was on a "diet" I would have quit by now. Take it easy and don't beat yourself up. Just work harder on your exercise this week and you can burn off last night! It is a much easier way to deal with this being a life long journey rather than a short sharp fix.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yes we all do it, but in the long run, a couple of ooops here and there really don`t matter. In fact, they can help jump start your body because it has to turn up the energy to burn the extra food in your stomach and that continues for a day or so after.

I remember a while back I had eaten three giant ice cream scoops AND the waffle cone while on holidays during summer and when I entered it all I just about cried. I was miserable and felt completely guilty. But then, you just go back to eating normally in the next week, and I was fine. and now when I think back, it clearly was not a big deal since I continued to lose weight. Just don`t do it all the time :)
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    many people have gone over calories.
    and tbh it's nothing to kick yourself over, unless it happens a lot &/or gets out of hand.
    Tomorrow is a new day... clean slate.
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I go over a few times a month. No biggie for me. I still lose weight, but it's slower obviously.....LoL.

One great thing I love about living in California is like everywhere you go, they post the calories on the menu, so I know before I even order if one sandwhich has like 500 calories or 1500. I would suggest next time just to look up the menu to where you are going or ask the place if they have a nutritional guide you can look at.

Anyways, it's one night. Do an extra lap around the block or something and don't worry about it, We all need a little fun sometimes.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Me last night!! When I say over, I really went OVER, by like 1000cals. It put me just above my estimated maintenance calories. I shouldn't gain from it, but I'm using it as motivation to have a really good day today and a great workout to boot!
  • BrandieNW
    Options
    I feel your disappointment. I have done it and I am sure it will happen again but like everyone else said, it really is not that big a deal. Freaking out and feeling guilty may cause more stress on you which might make it harder to control what and how much you are eating. You are doing great. Someone else pointed out that it can jump start your body and that is so true. Just don't do it regularly. A suggestion for next time you go out is to eat some sweet fruit and munch on veggies right before you go or even in the car. If you are like me, even though you might not be that hungry you still feel the desire to keep eating til your plate is clean, box up half as soon as you get your plate. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! :happy:
  • Lisard79
    Lisard79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have loss 160 lbs over the last 2 years with diet and exercise only and have done that more than a few times on this journey. I learned forgive yourself, get back on track right after you do it, and look forward.
  • Lisard79
    Lisard79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have loss 160 lbs over the last 2 years with diet and exercise only and have done that more than a few times on this journey. I learned forgive yourself, get back on track right after you do it, and look forward.