i need advice please

Options
my name is joanie i am 47 and weigh 15,7 stone.i am just recovering from an operation and an accident at work which means im limited to excercise i can do ,i am ashamed when i read all the strenuos excercise people do when all i can manage is 60 mins a day on my wii fit step ups ,which i have also added 5lbs of dumb bells into my little routine.i am not a healthy eater but have changed my ways because i want to reach 12 lbs ,i wish,ive only been with mfp for a few weeks and have only lost 5 lbs so far ,i am very depressed and on medication for this and also take xenical from my doctor ,am i wasting my time on the excercise i am doing or should i keep on going ,please any advice would be great .i have just today decided to come out with the whole truth as i am one mixed up person who doesnt like herself at all

Replies

• Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have sent a friend request. You sound really down. But well done for reaching out. It will now get so much better for you!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that you're doing is no waste of time. Just do what you can do until you are healed from your operation and add to your workouts as you can. If you can't do a whole lot as far as exercise goes, just be very mindful of your eating and be sure to drink plenty of water. Don't stress about it - just do YOUR best (not someone else's best).
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i hope so thanks:happy:
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thankyou so much for that:flowerforyou:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, any exercise you can do is awesome and definitely NOT a waste of time. Give yourself a chance to recover from your surgery. Don't push too hard, just do what is comfortable.
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thankyou for your comments so appreciated:flowerforyou:
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thankyou x:happy:
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    i am very depressed and on medication for this and also take xenical from my doctor ,am i wasting my time on the excercise i am doing or should i keep on going ,please any advice would be great .i have just today decided to come out with the whole truth as i am one mixed up person who doesnt like herself at all

Girl... I've been there. I was 175lbs... I'm now 145lbs. I've dropped 30lbs. Yeah... took me a while. So? I was depressed too, in therapy, taking medication. Honestly? Nothing worked better for getting my self-esteem back up and getting happy again than losing weight. YOU control how much exercise you do, YOU control what you eat. YOU have to want it badly enough. That's all. The medication I was on was responsible for putting ON those 30lbs after my Mom died. Same pills had my Dad put on 60lbs. Sometimes the pills have weight gain as a side effect. Um... it's not really what that means. What the pills mean are "Hey... take this, & you're going to want to eat TWICE as much as you usually do!"... that's what it means. If you stay active, you can avoid gaining the weight (I learned later), or even take it off. It's not the pills.

I would recommend setting aside one hour every day for exercise. It doesn't matter if it's just a walk, or Wii Fit. My friend Melissa has ceribral palsy (sp?) and lost over 30lbs before her wedding using Wii Fit. And, it improved her balance and strengthened her weakness on the right side. Wii Fit is a good workout, and a great place to start. Eventually, Melissa could walk around the mall with us for two hours shopping without us stopping so she could sit. It was awesome!

My therapist recommended I keep a diary. Not just on MFP... but this is a good place to start. You could use the panels under "exercise" or "diary" additional notes to detail: your mood, your energy level, your exercise routine. That kind of thing. You'll see... it gets easier.

Congratulations on the first 5! You've broken the seal... now it's going to start pouring off! And don't worry about the depression... this too shall pass. You'll remember what a great person you are and what a fantastic life you have eventually. The accident? Minor setback. We all have them. But in the great, wide, grander story of YOUR life? YOU have the ability to make it a footnote, not a chapter.

Chin up, girl. From someone who's been there. :drinker:
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Any exercise you can do at this time will benefit you. You are recovering from surgery, you can't be expected to exercise as if everything is ok. Give yourself time to heal and then you can be back at it...full force. Anything you can do now, will be good for you later. Give yourself a break...sound like you NEED one.... :flowerforyou:
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I could only exercise for 15-20 minutes on wiifit plus, and I worked up from there... Just do what you can, and build up as you can... You'll get there!! :-D
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You will find a wide range of people on here, from elite athletes too elite couch riders. I commend you on your stregnth and willness to reach out. You can use the friend tool to help you find them, read their bio and invite them along your journey. I am still a fairly new member but have become addicted. Through out my life I struggled with my weight and have seen several set backs with injuries and illness. Exercise no matter how it is done is better than nothing. If you would like add me as a friend.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great! I'm lucky if I get in 40 min of walking or bike riding. Getting weight off takes time and persistence. Do not give up. You'll have lots of support from this site!
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thankyou so much for your advice and sharing that with me means the world to hear that im not on my own :flowerforyou:
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hey,

It takes great courage to write all that down and get it out there. You should be very proud of that.

As has already been said,any form of exercise is good exercise,but you are doing 60 minutes each day which is a really strong and positive routine and again this is something that considering you have just had surgery something to be proud of.

Lot's of people burn large amount's but not every day and by doing what your doing is building such a good platform for you to work from in the future.

Keep Up The Good Work my friend,

Best Wishes going forward.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I agree with others... just don't underestimate the importance of the foods you eat. It impacts your weight loss AND your mood.
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thankyou x
  • BrandieNW
    Options
    You are doing great! You have already lost 5lbs which is AWESOME! I am sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time. You will be in my prayers. Don't feel anything but wonderful about your exercise routine. I am 5'7 and I weigh 231 pounds. I am a smoker trying really really hard to stop. I can't exercise for more than 10-15 at a time before I feel like I am going to die. It takes time to build yourself up. Being healthy does not happen over night. There is hope for us all! You keep at it, always seek someone when you need extra support, and before you know it you will be happy and loving yourself again. You are a wonderful person and through faith and the support of others you can acheive anything! Just take one day at a time and never forget you are a person worth fighting for and deserve all your heart desires!
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thanks so much for your kind advice :happy:
    Hey,

It takes great courage to write all that down and get it out there. You should be very proud of that.

As has already been said,any form of exercise is good exercise,but you are doing 60 minutes each day which is a really strong and positive routine and again this is something that considering you have just had surgery something to be proud of.

Lot's of people burn large amount's but not every day and by doing what your doing is building such a good platform for you to work from in the future.

Keep Up The Good Work my friend,

Best Wishes going forward.
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thankyou everyone means a lot to me all your advice i really need the help
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    You are doing great! You have already lost 5lbs which is AWESOME! I am sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time. You will be in my prayers. Don't feel anything but wonderful about your exercise routine. I am 5'7 and I weigh 231 pounds. I am a smoker trying really really hard to stop. I can't exercise for more than 10-15 at a time before I feel like I am going to die. It takes time to build yourself up. Being healthy does not happen over night. There is hope for us all! You keep at it, always seek someone when you need extra support, and before you know it you will be happy and loving yourself again. You are a wonderful person and through faith and the support of others you can acheive anything! Just take one day at a time and never forget you are a person worth fighting for and deserve all your heart desires!
    thankyou so much for your lovely and caring reply :flowerforyou: