Help with C25K calories burned?!

Options
2»

Replies

• jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I should add that using the spreadsheet it estimates you at 294 for this run. Week 4 and Week 5 days 1 and 2, at the same pace, would be 331. Just in case it helps while you're searching for accuracy.

Good luck!

BTW... I'm not the formula genius, I'm just grateful to him/her.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    simple rule 100 calories for each mile whether you run fast, run slow, or walk....
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    After I sync my c25k with MFP I then go into exercise & reenter the times. this changes the calories burned based on my weight and stats. My c25k app doesn't take that into account. I checked out the spreedsheet that someone posted on SParkpeople, its great btw, and my calories were almost identical to what I get on MFP when I reenter the times. ex if it says I ran 8 minutes, I delete the 8 and then reenter 8. MFP changes it based on your statistics.

heres a link to that spreadsheet. :

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sty7d
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    So if I log my couch to 5k (week 3, day 1) as walking (3.0mph) 19 min & jogging (4.0mph) 11 min (which in total is what I do), it says I burn 174 calories according to MFP. If I go to dailymile.com and put in my distance (1.68 mile) and time (30 min), it says I burn 506 calories based on my weight (195). What do you think I should log? Do I go with the lower burn or the higher burn? Or somewhere in the middle?!

I really need a new HRM, but that has to wait til after Christmas!

The 174 is probably closer. You only went 1.6 miles and a rough estimate is 100 cals per mile. I run 3 miles in 30 min and burn about 270.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I really like this calculator. http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html It gives me 173 net calories (so, not including your BMR - just the *extra* burn for your workout.)

I've used the site to check the accuracy of the output on the treadmill at the gym. They're very close. MFP tends to overestimate my burns, so I enter the number of minutes that gives me the number from the treadmill.

I don't know if a heart-rate monitor would be more accurate, unless you went through the trouble of finding your Heart Rate Max. Mine is significantly higher than the numbers from that formula where you take your age and subtract from 220, or whatever it is... But I do like the numbers. I enjoy powergaming my fitness. I might ask for a new heart rate monitor for Christmas. The old one only works with the Garmin watch that hasn't been operational since I tried to change the (non-user replaceable) battery.