goals in mfp - drives me crazy

Options
Guys,

I have to lose a tone of weight so my daily food intake set in goals is 1000 cal.I also modified all the other fields in goals accordingly. All these values have been carefully calculated with my dietician and at least for now I know they are correct. Now, what it drives me nuts MFP changes them daily replacing the values its own crazy values. I do suspect that this is an automatic process and maybe there is a reason for it but not mine and I DON'T WANT IT. It screws up all my calculations.
Please help me understand and maybe fix it.
Thank you.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Then add in your exercise at the end of the day when you are done eating
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You can't.. thats how MFP works. MFP already gives you a built in deficit, and when you exercise and log it, it adds it to the already built in deficit.. you are then supposed to eat(or not eat if you choose) those calories back so the deficit doesn't get too big.

My suggestion, either don't log exercise or know what the values are so that when you log, you can look at the top number(how much you've eaten before exercise) and make sure it adds up to what you've set.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Your dietitian sucks.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's probably not accepting the low calorie level. 1200 is the minimum it will allow. It's supposed to be more for men; I'm not sure why your dietitian thinks 1000 calories is sufficient for a man. Is your doctor on board with you only taking in 1000? Are you exercising with only 1000 calories? That can't be good.

I have a BodyMedia Fit, and it says I burn over 2100 calories on a day when I DON'T work out. If I work out, it's more like 2500. If i ate only 1000 calories, that would be less than half what my body needs just to function. I eat 1400 on non-workout days and close to 1800 on workout days. And I'm a female. Men's caloric needs are much higher.

If your doctor agrees, then I guess you should go ahead, but I just have a hard time understanding how this is sufficient calories for a man when everything I've read says 1200 minimum for a woman and 1800 for a man.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Your dietitian sucks.

^^ yar.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone else - that seems crazy low.. even with me needing to lose 100ish pounds(female, 5'6), my dietician told me 1400 was good and to eat back my exercise calories.
    that being said - if you dont want your exercise burn to be added to your daily intake totals, dont log it. either keep track of it in the exercise notes, or the food notes.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I feel good with 1000 calories for now. I exercise 4 times a week, weights and cardio. I was told that this phase only takes 2 weeks and then based on results we change.

So what you say up to know is:

1. don't add exercises
    or
    2. put 1200 cal as goal

Is that correct?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I feel good with 1000 calories for now. I exercise 4 times a week, weights and cardio. I was told that this phase only takes 2 weeks and then based on results we change.

So what you say up to know is:

1. don't add exercises
    or
    2. put 1200 cal as goal

Is that correct?

Not even close.

Eat about 2000 calories per day and ignore exercise. Or set it to 1500 per day and eat back the exercise calories.

And give this a read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    OK, so I can set it to 1500 and can add exercises as well. What happens if I eat below 1500? Is MFP going to change the goals again?
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    We're saying that 1200 is the lowest that MFP allows. 1200 is technically too low for a MAN because men's caloric needs are higher than women's.

If you are exercising, then you are NETTING way below 1000 calories. Your brain alone needs several hundred calories a day just to function. Your organs need several hundred to function. If you are exercising and eating only 1000 calories, it's doubtful you are getting sufficient calories for simple bodily functions that need to happen.

Frankly, if I were you, I'd seek a second opinion from another dietitian.
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    Thank you for the link. I got it now? I used search function to get some help before posting but I didn't find anything.
    So the exercises are automatically added up to the goals and the minimum accepted my MFP is 1200. I'll change everything accordingly following your advice.
    Thanks guys.

Not even close.

Eat about 2000 calories per day and ignore exercise. Or set it to 1500 per day and eat back the exercise calories.

And give this a read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    [/quote]
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You can manually change your goals to whatever you want. MFP does not automatically change them once you have done this. You can do this under "goals."
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    Please believe me it changes them. I changed them manually every day. They are OK until I enter the exercises and then everything is being again changed by MFP. I won't log exercises from now on.
    By the way is there any way to reset goals to zero?
    You can manually change your goals to whatever you want. MFP does not automatically change them once you have done this. You can do this under "goals."
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    1000 calories?!?! Thats NOT healthy
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    ixnay on the hounding of people eating less than 1200. As it sounds like he is only doing it for a week then adjusts. When I started this change my doctor had me go down to the same thing for a week. Not working out but eating around 1k to start. It was a flushing out phase where I was eating nothing but greens/ grilled chicken fruits and veges. It worked pretty good for me, it basically detoxified my system. So, yeah dont trash it especially if he is working with a dietician. It is amazing how every one is a doctor here.
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    Everybody says that. I feel good though. I'm going next Monday to see my dr and ask him again what is his plan for me on short and long run. Maybe there is a logical and scientific explanation.
    Thank you for your concern guys.
    Problem solved with GOALS in MFP.

co1000 calories?!?! Thats NOT healthy
    [/quote]
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Please believe me it changes them. I changed them manually every day. They are OK until I enter the exercises and then everything is being again changed by MFP. I won't log exercises from now on.

It does not change them automatically in your "goals," which is what I thought you were referring to. (I have mine manually set to 1000 calories and have changed the protein and sodium goals.) So in that case, either don't log your exercise, change your calorie goals to account for exercise (but this would require you to burn the same amount of calories daily), or just leave it how it is and ignore it. If your daily goal is 1000 calories, then just eat up until that.
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    He he he. Somebody that knows what is about. Yes detox phase then we'll see.
    Thanks man.

ixnay on the hounding of people eating less than 1200. As it sounds like he is only doing it for a week then adjusts. When I started this change my doctor had me go down to the same thing for a week. Not working out but eating around 1k to start. It was a flushing out phase where I was eating nothing but greens/ grilled chicken fruits and veges. It worked pretty good for me, it basically detoxified my system. So, yeah dont trash it especially if he is working with a dietician. It is amazing how every one is a doctor here.
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    I'm a male though. Maybe MFP works differently based on gender.

It does not change them automatically in your "goals," which is what I thought you were referring to. (I have mine manually set to 1000 calories and have changed the protein and sodium goals.) So in that case, either don't log your exercise, change your calorie goals to account for exercise (but this would require you to burn the same amount of calories daily), or just leave it how it is and ignore it. If your daily goal is 1000 calories, then just eat up until that.
  • kmbrooks15
    Options

We're not hounding him...just concerned about someone eating that low a calorie level AND exercising. On exercise days, he's essentially burning off a good chunk of the little bit he's getting. The body needs a certain amount just to keep bodily functions operating (brain function, organ function, etc.). I asked a friend of mine who IS a registered dietitian, and she said she'd never prescribe less than 1500 for a man unless he was MORBIDLY obese. I guess it's possible that the OP is, but his picture doesn't look like it. He can obviously do what he wants, but I personally would question a dietitian ordering such a low caloric intake, even for a short period of time.